    me personally i want more of a SA job, and the positions im looking at i
    think will allow for a little bit more hands on as far as the SA part goes.
    But how high can i expect to go with out a lot more SA training/Exp?
    Cruwl, Jun 13, 2007

  2. Cruwl

    catwalker63 Guest

    Cruwl piffled away vaguely:

    > Im pretty sure we all know the very low end of the pay rate like 10-13 an hour.
    > but my question is whats the top part of the scale look like?
    >
    > Im applying for a few open positions i found and they are all steps up in
    > pay, but my question is at what point does it typically top out for a DST.
    >
    > I know DST is kinda the lower end of IT work,
    > me personally i want more of a SA job, and the positions im looking at i
    > think will allow for a little bit more hands on as far as the SA part goes.
    > But how high can i expect to go with out a lot more SA training/Exp?

    This field is like any practical or scientific field. The more you do
    the more you know and it continues to build. I do not know what your
    experience is so far, how much time you've put in and what
    technologies you have been using at what level. Don't expect this
    process to be fast, take the opportunities you are given and make the
    most of them, focus your career on what's important to you, and work
    your fantail off every day making sure you learn something new every
    day.
    --

    Catwalker
    MCNGP #43
    catwalker63, Jun 13, 2007

  3. Cruwl

    Jeff Guest

    I start a new SA job next week. It pays $39 an hour. That is the most I have
    made since the IT bust years ago.

    Jeff, Jun 13, 2007
  4. Cruwl

    Cruwl Guest

    thats basicly what im trying to do now.
    The current position i am in is strickly help desk.
    But im in the process of applying for a postion no that is more hands on DST
    and part SA. im hoping it gives me more exp on the SA part of the job as i
    have a pretty good back ground in DST, and i think it will after hearing
    about the responsibilities from the hiring manager.

    Thanks for your 2c.

    Cruwl

    Cruwl, Jun 13, 2007
  5. Cruwl

    Brandon B. Guest

    In a major market like Dallas/Fort Worth, a Full Time Help Desk or Desktop
    job, within a sizeable corporate network, runs $14-$20/hr and a Systems
    Admin. with MCSA should get you 40k-50k/yr depending on the size of the
    network.

    Markets with more Fortune 500 companies tend to be slightly higher; only NY,
    LA and Chicago would be bigger than Dallas for market size. Places like
    Miami, Phoenix and Seattle remain very competative as well.

    If you go to a small market like Springfield, MO in the center of the
    country, you may get $10/hr for DST and 32k/yr for SA, if you can even find
    a postition available.

    Brandon Bolen

    --
    Brandon B.
    MCDST, MCP.

    Brandon B., Jun 15, 2007
  6. Cruwl

    Cruwl Guest

    Thanks Brandon thats the kind of info i was looking for.
    It gives me a bit more perspective as to what to expect.
    it looks like the market here(boise) is pretty comparible to the dallas
    fortworth area.

    --
    NMCI Support Analyst

    Cruwl, Jun 15, 2007
  7. Cruwl

    Brandon B. Guest

    I was actually born in Boise and lived there in 2000-2001; was a temp at HP
    and a studio engineer at Clear Channel when it was downtown on the top floor
    of that hotel.

    For it's size, Boise is a cutting edge town. The IT jobs are available -
    HP, Micron, etc; the cost of living isn't so bad either.
    --
    Brandon B.
    MCDST, MCP.

    Brandon B., Jun 15, 2007