Pay Microsoft to stop spyware on your PC?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by steve, Dec 17, 2004.

  1. steve

    steve Guest

    How many people here would want to pay for this?

    Microsoft sets sights on spyware

    Windows users could soon be paying Microsoft to keep PCs free of spyware.

    Following the takeover of anti-spyware firm Giant, Microsoft said it would
    soon release a toolkit that strips machines of the irritating programs.

    Although initially free, Microsoft has not ruled out charging people who
    want to keep this toolkit up to date.

    Surveys show that almost every Windows PC is infested with spyware programs
    that do everything from bombard users with adverts to steal login data.

    Microsoft said that the toolkit to clean up Windows machines should be
    available within 30 days.

    Cash call

    Designed for PCs running Windows 2000 and XP, the utility will clean out
    spyware programs, constantly monitor what happens on a PC and will be
    regularly updated to catch the latest variants.

    Before now many of Microsoft's other security boosting programs, such as the
    firewall in Windows XP, have been given away free.

    But Mike Nash, vice president in Microsoft's security business unit, said it
    was still working out pricing and licensing issues. Charging for future
    versions has not been discounted, he said.

    "We'll come up with a plan and roll that out," he said.

    The plan could turn out to be a lucrative one for Microsoft.

    A recent survey by Earthlink and Webroot found that 90% of PCs are infested
    with the surreptitious software and that, on average, each one is
    harbouring 28 separate spyware programs.

    Currently users wanting protection from spyware have turned to free programs
    such as Spybot and Ad-Aware.

    Spyware comes in many forms and at its most benign exploits lazy browsing
    habits to install itself and subject users to unwanted adverts.

    Other forms hijack net browser settings to force people to view pages they
    would otherwise never visit.

    At its most malign, spyware watches everything that people do with their PC
    and steals login information and other personal data.

    Microsoft's announcement about spyware comes after it bought small New York
    software firm Giant Company Software.

    Terms of the acquisition were not disclosed.
    steve, Dec 17, 2004

  2. steve

    Adder Guest

    In article <> in nz.comp on Sat, 18 Dec
    2004 00:34:42 +1300, steve <> says...
    > How many people here would want to pay for this?

    why do you care
    Adder, Dec 17, 2004

  3. steve

    Adder, Dec 17, 2004
  4. steve

    Guest

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 00:34:42 +1300, steve wrote:

    > Microsoft's announcement about spyware comes after it bought small New
    > York software firm Giant Company Software.

    Hmmm...

    So the way Micro$oft "innovated" this new product was by aquisition.

    It sounds just like another way to suffer another massive performance hit,
    like what anti-virus software does.

    What is the point of having ever more powerful computers if all that
    ability is taken up by the OS and anciliary utilities, and not by actual
    productive programmes.

    Divine

    --
    Part of Every Woman:
    is a MOTHER,
  5. steve

    Guest

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 00:34:42 +1300, steve wrote:

    > Microsoft's announcement about spyware comes after it bought small New
    > York software firm Giant Company Software.

    Hmmm...

    So the way Micro$oft "innovated" this new product was by aquisition.

    It sounds just like another way to suffer another massive performance hit,
    like what anti-virus software does.

    What is the point of having ever more powerful computers if all that
    ability is taken up by the OS and anciliary utilities, and not by actual
    productive programmes.

    Divine

    --
    Part of Every Woman:
    is a MOTHER,
    Part of Every Woman:
    is an ACTRESS,
    Part of Every Woman:
    is a SAINT,
    Part of Every Woman:
    is a SINNER,
    And Part of Every Man:
    is a WOMAN.
    , Dec 18, 2004
  6. steve

    C9H8O4 Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 00:34:42 +1300, steve wrote:
    >
    >> Microsoft's announcement about spyware comes after it bought small New
    >> York software firm Giant Company Software.

    > Hmmm...
    >
    > So the way Micro$oft "innovated" this new product was by aquisition.
    >
    > It sounds just like another way to suffer another massive performance hit,
    > like what anti-virus software does.
    >
    > What is the point of having ever more powerful computers if all that
    > ability is taken up by the OS and anciliary utilities, and not by actual
    > productive programmes.
    >

    > Divine
    >
    > --
    > Part of Every Woman:
    > is a MOTHER,
    > Part of Every Woman:
    > is an ACTRESS,
    > Part of Every Woman:
    > is a SAINT,
    > Part of Every Woman:
    > is a SINNER,
    > And Part of Every Man:
    > is a WOMAN.

    Which AV software do you use ? When my PC is idle the CPU hovers between 2%
    and 10% utilisation and when I've disabled my AV software there is no
    perceptible increase in performance or file open times. I would respectfully
    suggest you are bitching about a problem which simply doesn't exist.
    C9H8O4, Dec 18, 2004
  7. steve

    C9H8O4 Guest

    C9H8O4, Dec 18, 2004
  8. steve

    Guest

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 16:27:41 +1300, C9H8O4 wrote:

    > Which AV software do you use ? When my PC is idle the CPU hovers between
    > 2% and 10% utilisation and when I've disabled my AV software there is no
    > perceptible increase in performance or file open times. I would
    > respectfully suggest you are bitching about a problem which simply doesn't
    > exist.

    I do not use anti-virus software. The Linux, and the email client that I
    use (Evolution), do not suffer from Micro$oft Windows/Outlook viruses.

    The last time I used Windows and anti-vurus software the anti-virus
    software gave a definite and very noticable performance hit.

    I am pleased to say that I do not use either for anything to do with the
    Internet. Windows is simply an unsafe OS.

    Divine

    --
    Part of Every Woman:
    is a MOTHER,
  9. steve

    Guest

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 16:27:41 +1300, C9H8O4 wrote:

    > Which AV software do you use ? When my PC is idle the CPU hovers between
    > 2% and 10% utilisation and when I've disabled my AV software there is no
    > perceptible increase in performance or file open times. I would
    > respectfully suggest you are bitching about a problem which simply doesn't
    > exist.

    I do not use anti-virus software. The Linux, and the email client that I
    use (Evolution), do not suffer from Micro$oft Windows/Outlook viruses.

    The last time I used Windows and anti-vurus software the anti-virus
    software gave a definite and very noticable performance hit.

    I am pleased to say that I do not use either for anything to do with the
    Internet. Windows is simply an unsafe OS.

    Divine

    --
    Part of Every Woman:
    is a MOTHER,
    Part of Every Woman:
    is an ACTRESS,
    Part of Every Woman:
    is a SAINT,
    Part of Every Woman:
    is a SINNER,
    And Part of Every Man:
    is a WOMAN.
    , Dec 18, 2004
  10. steve

    David Guest

    wrote:
    > On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 16:27:41 +1300, C9H8O4 wrote:
    >

    >>Which AV software do you use ? When my PC is idle the CPU hovers between
    >>2% and 10% utilisation and when I've disabled my AV software there is no
    >>perceptible increase in performance or file open times. I would
    >>respectfully suggest you are bitching about a problem which simply doesn't
    >>exist.

    > I do not use anti-virus software. The Linux, and the email client that I
    > use (Evolution), do not suffer from Micro$oft Windows/Outlook viruses.
    >
    > The last time I used Windows and anti-vurus software the anti-virus
    > software gave a definite and very noticable performance hit.
    >
    > I am pleased to say that I do not use either for anything to do with the
    > Internet. Windows is simply an unsafe OS.
    >

    > Divine

    I agree that there is a noticable performance hit. After uninstalling
    Norton 2004 2 months ago I am still amazed at the speed.
    BTW: I have not had a virus since (well Housecall hasn't found one)

    To the OP: it is strange that you are using 2-10% utilisation when idle,
    what process(es) are causing it?
    Right now I have a few programs running and I am using about 1% (mostly
    taskmgr.exe)
    David, Dec 18, 2004
  11. steve

    David Guest

    David, Dec 18, 2004
  12. steve

    Guest

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 19:03:30 +1300, David wrote:

    > To the OP: it is strange that you are using 2-10% utilisation when idle,
    > what process(es) are causing it?
    > Right now I have a few programs running and I am using about 1% (mostly
    > taskmgr.exe)

    Uptime stats for my KDE desktop workstation at the moment:
    19:58:45 up 6 days, 2:57, 1 user, load average: 0.08, 0.05, 0.06

    I think that you were thinking of the person to whom I had replied.

    Divine

    --
    Part of Every Woman:
    is a MOTHER,
  13. steve

    Guest

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 19:03:30 +1300, David wrote:

    > To the OP: it is strange that you are using 2-10% utilisation when idle,
    > what process(es) are causing it?
    > Right now I have a few programs running and I am using about 1% (mostly
    > taskmgr.exe)

    Uptime stats for my KDE desktop workstation at the moment:
    19:58:45 up 6 days, 2:57, 1 user, load average: 0.08, 0.05, 0.06

    I think that you were thinking of the person to whom I had replied.

    Divine

    --
    Part of Every Woman:
    is a MOTHER,
    Part of Every Woman:
    is an ACTRESS,
    Part of Every Woman:
    is a SAINT,
    Part of Every Woman:
    is a SINNER,
    And Part of Every Man:
    is a WOMAN.
    , Dec 18, 2004
  14. steve

    C9H8O4 Guest

    "David" <> wrote in
    message news:GIPwd.28621$...
    > wrote:
    >> On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 16:27:41 +1300, C9H8O4 wrote:
    >>

    >>>Which AV software do you use ? When my PC is idle the CPU hovers between
    >>>2% and 10% utilisation and when I've disabled my AV software there is no
    >>>perceptible increase in performance or file open times. I would
    >>>respectfully suggest you are bitching about a problem which simply
    >>>doesn't
    >>>exist.

    >> I do not use anti-virus software. The Linux, and the email client that I
    >> use (Evolution), do not suffer from Micro$oft Windows/Outlook viruses.
    >>
    >> The last time I used Windows and anti-vurus software the anti-virus
    >> software gave a definite and very noticable performance hit.
    >>
    >> I am pleased to say that I do not use either for anything to do with the
    >> Internet. Windows is simply an unsafe OS.
    >>

    >> Divine
    >>

    > I agree that there is a noticable performance hit. After uninstalling
    > Norton 2004 2 months ago I am still amazed at the speed.
    > BTW: I have not had a virus since (well Housecall hasn't found one)
    >
    > To the OP: it is strange that you are using 2-10% utilisation when idle,
    > what process(es) are causing it?
    > Right now I have a few programs running and I am using about 1% (mostly
    > taskmgr.exe)

    1%, 2%, who's counting ? 98% of the PC is doing precisely zero
    C9H8O4, Dec 18, 2004
  15. steve

    C9H8O4 Guest

    "David" <> wrote in
    message news:GIPwd.28621$...

    C9H8O4, Dec 18, 2004
  16. steve

    Guest

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 23:37:27 +1300, C9H8O4 wrote:

    > 1%, 2%, who's counting ? 98% of the PC is doing precisely zero

    So why are you wasting electricity? Why are you not using some other
    computer more productively?

    Divine

    --
    Part of Every Woman:
    is a MOTHER,
  17. steve

    Guest

    On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 23:37:27 +1300, C9H8O4 wrote:

    > 1%, 2%, who's counting ? 98% of the PC is doing precisely zero

    So why are you wasting electricity? Why are you not using some other
    computer more productively?

    Divine

    --
    Part of Every Woman:
    is a MOTHER,
    Part of Every Woman:
    is an ACTRESS,
    Part of Every Woman:
    is a SAINT,
    Part of Every Woman:
    is a SINNER,
    And Part of Every Man:
    is a WOMAN.
    , Dec 18, 2004
  18. steve

    C9H8O4 Guest

    <> wrote in message
    > On Sat, 18 Dec 2004 23:37:27 +1300, C9H8O4 wrote:
    >
    >> 1%, 2%, who's counting ? 98% of the PC is doing precisely zero

    > So why are you wasting electricity? Why are you not using some other
    > computer more productively?
    >

    > Divine
    >
    > --
    > Part of Every Woman:
    > is a MOTHER,
    > Part of Every Woman:
    > is an ACTRESS,
    > Part of Every Woman:
    > is a SAINT,
    > Part of Every Woman:
    > is a SINNER,
    > And Part of Every Man:
    > is a WOMAN.

    The point I was making to you is that good AV software inflicts a negligible
    performance hit on a PC. It was in response to this ill-informed comment you
    made:

    "It sounds just like another way to suffer another massive performance hit,
    like what anti-virus software does"

    Why am I wasting electricity ? Because I can :eek:)
    C9H8O4, Dec 18, 2004
  19. steve

    C9H8O4 Guest

    C9H8O4, Dec 18, 2004
  20. steve

    Guest

    On Sun, 19 Dec 2004 06:59:12 +1300, C9H8O4 wrote:

    > The point I was making to you is that good AV software inflicts a
    > negligible performance hit on a PC.

    I often am running my Linux workstation at 100% CPU usage for days on end,
    with no performance hit to day-to-day email/nntp/browser/gimp usage.

    Anti-virus software does impose a noticable performance hit. That is why I
    do not use anti-virus software, and also why I do not use my Windows box
    for daily WWW connectivity.

    Divine

    --
    Part of Every Woman: