Pausing problem

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Ferg, Aug 15, 2003.

  1. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    I am having a problem with my computer pausing. Had it for a long time but
    thought I'd have a go trying to fix it.

    I first noticed it when I got an AGP graphics card and tried playing the
    game that came with the card.

    The game would pause about every few minutes for about s second.

    DVDs pause a few times every 10 minutes or so.

    Seems like overloading the CPU but I thought an 800Mhz cpu would be enough
    to do the software decoding for the DVD... Everything I have read said it
    should be...

    Details:

    AMD Duron 800Mhz
    AGP is Radeon 7000 series
    384 Mbs Ram
    WinXP pro
    DVD is BTC BDV212b
    Mobo is ms-6340
    DMA is all running.
    Hard drive in DMA mode 5
    DVD in UDMA 2
    I have installed the latest via 4in1 driver.

    Any ideas?

    Ferg
    Ferg, Aug 15, 2003

  2. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    I turned off my anti-virus program (AVG).
    WinXP pro is my OS.

    What is findfast and how do I try turning it off?

    As to spyware, it has always happened. I haven't scanned my computer lately
    but usually I have run ad-aware regularly. So unlikely to be that.

    Thanks for the ideas!

    Ferg

    Ferg, Aug 15, 2003

  3. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    Oh. If you mean the indexing service, that is disabled.

    Ferg

    Ferg, Aug 15, 2003
  4. Ferg

    Jacob Boehme Guest

    Ferg allegedly said:

    > I turned off my anti-virus program (AVG).
    > WinXP pro is my OS.
    >
    > What is findfast and how do I try turning it off?

    I don't remember if XP has Findfast or not. I wiped it over a year ago and
    haven't used WinXP since.

    FindFast builds a file index. It used to actually crash a couple of my
    programs if it kicked in while they were running. It's usually found in
    Control Panel (on Win9x).

    > As to spyware, it has always happened. I haven't scanned my computer
    > lately but usually I have run ad-aware regularly. So unlikely to be that.
    >
    > Thanks for the ideas!

    The pause is going to be SOMETHING running that is either eating CPU or
    hogging the disc access..or both.
    Jacob Boehme, Aug 15, 2003
  5. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    So I have been watching a DVD with the task manager up showing the processes
    runnning.

    Seems strange.

    When the pauses happen System idle goes up to 99% and PowerDvd drops off to
    0%...

    So I wonder if their is something competing for CPU time that doesn't show?

    Ferg, Aug 15, 2003
  6. Ferg wrote:
    > I turned off my anti-virus program (AVG).
    > WinXP pro is my OS.

    AVG is great, but it sure doesn't do my system any good when I have .exes
    and zipfiles running into the thousands of megabytes sitting on my desktop
    (Or indeed, inside any folder). Every time Windows wants to read what icon
    it's supposed to be displaying, AVG has to scan the entire file (And this
    takes an *age* on a 700mb file)...

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 16, 2003
  7. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    So do you recommend an alternative free anti-viral program?

    Ferg

    Ferg, Aug 16, 2003
  8. "Mainlander" <*@*.*> wrote in message
    > In article <bhka63$tre$>,
    > says...
    > > So do you recommend an alternative free anti-viral program?

    > I recommend one that you pay for (like only $100 for NAV etc)

    NAV sucks resources like there is no tomorrow, and their autoupdate service
    is subscription based.

    Cheers,
    Nicholas Sherlock
    Nicholas Sherlock, Aug 17, 2003
  9. Ferg

    Ferg Guest

    Well I haven't had a problem with AVG and it's free so I'll stick with it
    for now.

    Ferg, Aug 17, 2003