    likely they were there all the time and I didn't see them?
    --
    YS

    Yellow Submarine, Apr 26, 2004

  2. Yellow Submarine

    Rich Clark Guest

    "Yellow Submarine" <> wrote in message
    news:zzejc.9039$...
    > Is there any downside to pausing a DVD for any length of time?
    >
    > I was watching a DVD for the first time last night and paused it a
    > couple of times for a minute or so. About halfway though the movie
    > started skipping and then refused to play to the end. The beginning
    > still worked though. I got the same results when I tried it on other
    > players.

    A DVD that behaves like this in any player is a damaged or defective DVD.

    A player that damages discs is a defective or malfunctioning player.

    Pausing is a normal function, and does not damage discs in a properly
    functioning player.

    > While cleaning it, I saw pits that I hadn't noticed before.

    Pits?

    >This was a
    > brand-new DVD that I had just opened. Is it possible that pausing the
    > DVD or something else in that player made those pits or is it more
    > likely they were there all the time and I didn't see them?

    Most likely you have a defective disc that should be exchanged.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Apr 26, 2004

  3. "Rich Clark" <> wrote in message
    :
    : "Yellow Submarine" <> wrote in message
    : news:zzejc.9039$...
    : > Is there any downside to pausing a DVD for any length of time?
    : >
    : > I was watching a DVD for the first time last night and paused it a
    : > couple of times for a minute or so. About halfway though the movie
    : > started skipping and then refused to play to the end. The beginning
    : > still worked though. I got the same results when I tried it on other
    : > players.
    :
    : A DVD that behaves like this in any player is a damaged or defective DVD.

    That is not necessarily so - I was having similar problems with more recent
    DVDs (2001) trying to play them in an older player (1998) that was designed
    before the advent of DUAL LAYER disc technology - teh player was incapable
    of handling the layer change and constantly skipped, hung, showed digital
    artifacting and made watching any dual layered disc impossible - my only
    recourse was to go and buy a $80 deck that plays anything and everything I
    throw into it, to replace the $350 one that wouldnt play a blessed thing
    besides store-bought Video DVDs (and I still to this day am unable to just
    throw that $350 away, despite the fact that it is probably and quite
    possibly the single most expensive and largest paperweight that I currently
    own)

    So it begs the question...how old is this unit you are playng your movies
    on?

    George Hernandez, Apr 27, 2004
  4. "George Hernandez" <no_email@no_domain.pud> wrote in message
    > "Rich Clark" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Yellow Submarine" <> wrote in message
    >>> Is there any downside to pausing a DVD for any length of time?
    >>>
    >>> I was watching a DVD for the first time last night and paused it a
    >>> couple of times for a minute or so. About halfway though the movie
    >>> started skipping and then refused to play to the end. The beginning
    >>> still worked though. I got the same results when I tried it on other
    >>> players.

    >> A DVD that behaves like this in any player is a damaged or defective
    >> DVD.

    > That is not necessarily so - I was having similar problems with more
    > recent DVDs (2001) trying to play them in an older player (1998) that
    > was designed before the advent of DUAL LAYER disc technology - teh
    > player was incapable of handling the layer change and constantly
    > skipped, hung, showed digital artifacting and made watching any dual
    > layered disc impossible - my only recourse was to go and buy a $80
    > deck that plays anything and everything I throw into it, to replace
    > the $350 one that wouldnt play a blessed thing besides store-bought
    > Video DVDs (and I still to this day am unable to just throw that $350
    > away, despite the fact that it is probably and quite possibly the
    > single most expensive and largest paperweight that I currently own)
    >
    > So it begs the question...how old is this unit you are playng your
    > movies on?

    It's about six months old. A Samsung DVD V-2000 VCR/DVD. It seems a bit
    pickier than my other players, though this particular DVD wouldn't play
    in the 3 other players I tried it in.

    --
    YS

    Yellow Submarine, Apr 27, 2004
  5. "Rich Clark" <> wrote in message
    > "Yellow Submarine" <> wrote in message
    >> Is there any downside to pausing a DVD for any length of time?
    >>
    >> I was watching a DVD for the first time last night and paused it a
    >> couple of times for a minute or so. About halfway though the movie
    >> started skipping and then refused to play to the end. The beginning
    >> still worked though. I got the same results when I tried it on other
    >> players.

    > A DVD that behaves like this in any player is a damaged or defective
    > DVD.
    >
    > A player that damages discs is a defective or malfunctioning player.
    >
    > Pausing is a normal function, and does not damage discs in a properly
    > functioning player.
    >

    >> While cleaning it, I saw pits that I hadn't noticed before.

    > Pits?

    3-4 tiny pock marks. Obvious damage that I hadn't noticed before and it
    was a brand-new dvd. That's why I was wondering if it's possible my
    player damaged it.

    --
    YS

    Yellow Submarine, Apr 27, 2004
  6. Yellow Submarine

    Rich Clark Guest

    > : A DVD that behaves like this in any player is a damaged or defective

    DVD.

    > That is not necessarily so -

    It is necessarily so, and nothing in what you wrote contradicts it. The fact
    that you had an old player that had trouble with layer changes says nothing
    about "any player."

    It's called "reading comprehension."

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Apr 27, 2004
  7. Yellow Submarine

    Pug Fugley Guest

    Sounds like it's time to upgrade your player..it's having trouble with the
    second layer.

    Pug Fugley, Apr 27, 2004
  8. >That is not necessarily so - I was having similar problems with more recent
    >DVDs (2001) trying to play them in an older player (1998) that was designed
    >before the advent of DUAL LAYER disc technology

    Dual layer discs have been part of the DVD standard before it was released in
    the consumer market. Besides, your explanation doesn't hold water as my 1st
    generation 1997 vintage Pioneer DVL-700 still plays every dual layer disc I've
    thrown at it perfectly.

    Your playback problems are more likely to be due to be an authoring on the disc
    that is possibly incompatible with the player. This is likely to happen with a
    newer disc on an older player.

    Other possibilities could include the fact that the player you were using may
    not be good. If the player in question is an RCA, ProScan, GE, or Samsung for
    example, then it's likely that the problem with playing the DVD was that the
    player was junk. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Apr 27, 2004
  9. >
    >3-4 tiny pock marks. Obvious damage that I hadn't noticed before and it
    >was a brand-new dvd. That's why I was wondering if it's possible my
    >player damaged it.

    Very possible, although very unusual.

    Then again, the player you are having trouble with is a Samsung DVD/VCR combo.
    Samsung makes lousy DVD players and DVD/VCR combos are horrible pieces of
    electronics regardless of brand.

    Since you probably can't return the player now, you might want to consider
    pawning it for what it's worth and get a decent Japanese brand stand-alone DVD
    player. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Apr 27, 2004
  10. "Yellow Submarine" <> wrote in message
    > Is there any downside to pausing a DVD for any length of time?

    Static image for a long time on TV screen may burn in.

    - Risto -

    Risto Lankinen, Apr 27, 2004
  11. Yellow Submarine

    Geo H Guest

    (LASERandDVDfan) wrote in message news:<>...
    > >That is not necessarily so - I was having similar problems with more recent
    > >DVDs (2001) trying to play them in an older player (1998) that was designed
    > >before the advent of DUAL LAYER disc technology

    > Dual layer discs have been part of the DVD standard before it was released in
    > the consumer market. Besides, your explanation doesn't hold water as my 1st
    > generation 1997 vintage Pioneer DVL-700 still plays every dual layer disc I've
    > thrown at it perfectly.
    >
    > Your playback problems are more likely to be due to be an authoring on the disc
    > that is possibly incompatible with the player. This is likely to happen with a
    > newer disc on an older player.
    >
    > Other possibilities could include the fact that the player you were using may
    > not be good. If the player in question is an RCA, ProScan, GE, or Samsung for
    > example, then it's likely that the problem with playing the DVD was that the
    > player was junk. - Reinhart

    OK guys relax - All I was doing was pointing out an observation that I
    encountered at the time - I wasnt disputing anybody's facts - just
    merely stating that I had encountered similar bahavior and at the
    time, it never dawned on me that it could have been a hardware issue
    (which in my case it was) I was new to DVD at the time and didnt
    bother keeping up on the nuiances of the technology and it wasnt until
    someone had mentioned dual layers that I noticed on my new player,
    that it was right at the point of the change where I was encountering
    problems on the older player, so while i did have other issues with
    authoring problems on other discs, my particular case seemed evident
    with the layer change.

    The player was an AIWA XD-DV300, purchased just before 1998 (maybe
    99-dont remember) rolled in. It was doing just fine up until a certain
    time in 2000-2001, and still plays my older DVDs just fine but hardly
    nothing from today will run completely without a problem

    Geo H, Apr 27, 2004
  12. "LASERandDVDfan" <> wrote in message
    >> 3-4 tiny pock marks. Obvious damage that I hadn't noticed before and
    >> it was a brand-new dvd. That's why I was wondering if it's possible
    >> my player damaged it.

    > Very possible, although very unusual.
    >
    > Then again, the player you are having trouble with is a Samsung
    > DVD/VCR combo. Samsung makes lousy DVD players and DVD/VCR combos are
    > horrible pieces of electronics regardless of brand.
    >
    > Since you probably can't return the player now, you might want to
    > consider pawning it for what it's worth and get a decent Japanese
    > brand stand-alone DVD player. - Reinhart

    LOL
    I'm not going to pawn it but I have considered buying a back-up player
    --
    YS

    Yellow Submarine, Apr 27, 2004
  13. >LOL
    >I'm not going to pawn it but I have considered buying a back-up player

    Sorry about the comment if it seemed harsh.

    Anyways, when considering a player:

    Panasonic
    Sony
    Toshiba
    Pioneer
    JVC
    Denon
    Onkyo
    Yamaha

    Disregard any other brand, unless money is no object and you have no objection
    to spending $16,000+ for a Meridian 800. - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Apr 28, 2004
  14. "Risto Lankinen" <> wrote in message news:<zSmjc.14989$>...
    > "Yellow Submarine" <> wrote in message
    > > Is there any downside to pausing a DVD for any length of time?

    > Static image for a long time on TV screen may burn in.
    >
    > - Risto -

    Yeah but most players, like my recent-model Samsung, will put up a
    screen saver after about 5 minutes of pause.

    Mike Harrison, May 2, 2004
  15. "Rich Clark" <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > "George Hernandez" <no_email@no_domain.pud> wrote in message
    >
    > > : A DVD that behaves like this in any player is a damaged or defective

    > DVD.
    > >
    > > That is not necessarily so -

    > It is necessarily so, and nothing in what you wrote contradicts it. The fact
    > that you had an old player that had trouble with layer changes says nothing
    > about "any player."
    >
    > It's called "reading comprehension."

    Your reference to 'any player' could be interpreted in two different
    ways. Write more precisely before copping an attitude. Even better,
    avoid the attitude in any case. It was totally unwarranted by anything
    the other poster wrote.

    DB.

    Dogger the Filmgoblin, May 6, 2004