PAUL - You there??? Eureka!!

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by ChrisCoaster, Jul 4, 2011.

  1. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    Found what was causing most of my keyboard skipping:

    First some background. My PC suffered blunt trauma injury that killed
    the harddrive two weeks ago. I since replaced it and ran the recovery
    process.

    The first culprit - THOUSANDS of updates to bring me up to date from
    2006 to mid-2011 after the recovery installs.

    Second - something called "Relevant Knowledge". I don't know how
    dangerous this thing is, but it just about overclocked my CPU,
    allowing nothing else in the machine to run!! Or at least, to not run
    smoothly.

    Thirdly - My keyboard was DISGUSTING. I took off most of the keys as
    I stated previously and cleaned that mutha out. Then I vacuumed it and
    reinstalled the keys. Keys are much smoother and do not double type or
    skip as often. It's still happening a little, but only about half as
    may times as before.

    Names of presidents with NO corrections:

    John F. Kennedy Lyndon B. Johnosn richard M. Nixon Gerald R. Ford
    Jimmy Carter Ronald REagan George H.W. Bush William J. Clinton
    George W. Bush Barack H. Obama.

    <sighhhh> Almost there!

    -CC
    ChrisCoaster, Jul 4, 2011
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. ChrisCoaster

    Paul Guest

    ChrisCoaster wrote:
    > Found what was causing most of my keyboard skipping:
    >
    > First some background. My PC suffered blunt trauma injury that killed
    > the harddrive two weeks ago. I since replaced it and ran the recovery
    > process.
    >
    > The first culprit - THOUSANDS of updates to bring me up to date from
    > 2006 to mid-2011 after the recovery installs.
    >
    > Second - something called "Relevant Knowledge". I don't know how
    > dangerous this thing is, but it just about overclocked my CPU,
    > allowing nothing else in the machine to run!! Or at least, to not run
    > smoothly.
    >
    > Thirdly - My keyboard was DISGUSTING. I took off most of the keys as
    > I stated previously and cleaned that mutha out. Then I vacuumed it and
    > reinstalled the keys. Keys are much smoother and do not double type or
    > skip as often. It's still happening a little, but only about half as
    > may times as before.
    >
    > Names of presidents with NO corrections:
    >
    > John F. Kennedy Lyndon B. Johnosn richard M. Nixon Gerald R. Ford
    > Jimmy Carter Ronald REagan George H.W. Bush William J. Clinton
    > George W. Bush Barack H. Obama.
    >
    > <sighhhh> Almost there!
    >
    > -CC


    LOL.

    This sounds like a status report from Dr. Frankenstein's lab.

    "It's alive"

    Keep up the good work :)

    Paul
    Paul, Jul 4, 2011
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    Re: PAUL - You there??? Eureka!!

    On Jul 4, 1:04 am, Paul <> wrote:
    > ChrisCoaster wrote:
    > > Found what was causing most of my keyboard skipping:

    >
    > > First some background.  My PC suffered blunt trauma injury that killed
    > > the harddrive two weeks ago.  I since replaced it and ran the recovery
    > > process.

    >
    > > The first culprit - THOUSANDS of updates to bring me up to date from
    > > 2006 to mid-2011 after the recovery installs.

    >
    > > Second - something called "Relevant Knowledge".  I don't know how
    > > dangerous this thing is, but it just about overclocked my CPU,
    > > allowing nothing else in the machine to run!!  Or at least, to not run
    > > smoothly.

    >
    > > Thirdly - My keyboard was DISGUSTING.  I took off most of the keys as
    > > I stated previously and cleaned that mutha out. Then I vacuumed it and
    > > reinstalled the keys. Keys are much smoother and do not double type or
    > > skip as often.  It's still happening a little, but only about half as
    > > may times as before.

    >
    > > Names of presidents with NO corrections:

    >
    > > John F. Kennedy Lyndon B. Johnosn  richard M. Nixon  Gerald R. Ford
    > > Jimmy Carter Ronald REagan  George H.W. Bush William J. Clinton
    > > George W. Bush  Barack H. Obama.

    >
    > > <sighhhh> Almost there!

    >
    > > -CC

    >
    > LOL.
    >
    > This sounds like a status report from Dr. Frankenstein's lab.
    >
    > "It's alive"
    >
    > Keep up the good work :)
    >
    >     Paul- Hide quoted text -
    >
    > - Show quoted text -

    _____________________
    The only problem now is my Identity tab under Norton keeps turnng
    off(the phishing protection function). Simple fix, but I can't keep
    looking in the systray to make sure norton has a green checkmark all
    the time!

    -CC
    ChrisCoaster, Jul 4, 2011
    #3
  4. Paul embroidered on the monitor :
    > ChrisCoaster wrote:
    >> Found what was causing most of my keyboard skipping:
    >>
    >> First some background. My PC suffered blunt trauma injury that killed
    >> the harddrive two weeks ago. I since replaced it and ran the recovery
    >> process.
    >>



    OK, Chris,
    You hinted ever so slightly before
    I got to know...

    What did you hit it with?
    :eek:

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim


    "Distrust any enterprise that requires new clothes."
    - Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)
    James D Andrews, Jul 4, 2011
    #4
  5. ChrisCoaster

    Joe J Guest


    >>
    >> Thirdly - My keyboard was DISGUSTING. I took off most of the keys as
    >> I stated previously and cleaned that mutha out. Then I vacuumed it and
    >> reinstalled the keys. Keys are much smoother and do not double type or
    >> skip as often. It's still happening a little, but only about half as
    >> may times as before.


    OK, so how do you remove the keys? Needle-nose, one at a time? I'm looking
    on the sides of the keys of my 8 year old keyboard and it looks pretty
    filthy.
    Looks to be about 10 screws underneath holding the top faceplate on, but
    that wouldn't free up the individual keys, maybe just allow you to blow out
    the base? It's a Dell full size.
    Joe J, Jul 6, 2011
    #5
  6. ChrisCoaster

    Paul Guest

    Joe J wrote:
    >
    >>>
    >>> Thirdly - My keyboard was DISGUSTING. I took off most of the keys as
    >>> I stated previously and cleaned that mutha out. Then I vacuumed it and
    >>> reinstalled the keys. Keys are much smoother and do not double type or
    >>> skip as often. It's still happening a little, but only about half as
    >>> may times as before.

    >
    > OK, so how do you remove the keys? Needle-nose, one at a time? I'm
    > looking on the sides of the keys of my 8 year old keyboard and it looks
    > pretty filthy.
    > Looks to be about 10 screws underneath holding the top faceplate on, but
    > that wouldn't free up the individual keys, maybe just allow you to blow
    > out the base? It's a Dell full size.


    Not every keyboard has removable keycaps. You could be prying on something
    that doesn't come out :-( My current keyboard, the keycaps are held "captive"
    in the upper plastic section, and you clean the upper section as one piece.
    The upper section is all plastic, so can be washed and rinsed if you want.

    If the keycaps aren't "captive", you would have discovered this by now.
    As the kind that pry off, also come off by accident while using the keyboard.
    We had a few like that at work. You also wouldn't want to use a vacuum cleaner
    over that kind of keys, because a cap could go up into the vacuum bag.

    I have at least one keyboard in my collection, where the guts are fastened
    together with steel rivets, and cleaning between keys is impossible. I
    can use a vacuum cleaner with a tiny cleaning wand on that one, but that
    is about it for maintenance. Steel rivets tend to rotate if you try to
    drill them out, so actually taking it apart (and having it survive)
    really isn't an option. The replacement cost of that keyboard
    (list price) is $150. Not a good keyboard to spill a cup of
    coffee on. I'd much rather spill coffee on my current keyboard,
    as it's the $20 kind, and comes apart easily for rinsing (ask me
    how I know that... the keyboard is still fully functional). It takes
    about three days to dry, for all the component pieces to be dry enough
    to put back together.

    Paul
    Paul, Jul 6, 2011
    #6
  7. ChrisCoaster

    ChrisCoaster Guest

    Re: PAUL - You there??? Eureka!!

    On Jul 4, 10:49 am, James D Andrews <> wrote:

    >
    > OK, Chris,
    > You hinted ever so slightly before
    > I got to know...
    >
    > What did you hit it with?
    > :eek:
    >
    > --
    > -There are some who call me...
    > Jim
    >
    > "Distrust any enterprise that requires new clothes."
    > - Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

    ______________________________

    PC rage.

    'nuff said.
    ChrisCoaster, Jul 6, 2011
    #7
  8. Re: PAUL - You there??? Eureka!!

    ChrisCoaster banged his head on his keyboard to write :
    > On Jul 4, 10:49 am, James D Andrews <> wrote:
    >
    >>
    >> OK, Chris,
    >> You hinted ever so slightly before
    >> I got to know...
    >>
    >> What did you hit it with?
    >>> o

    >>
    >> --
    >> -There are some who call me...
    >> Jim
    >>
    >> "Distrust any enterprise that requires new clothes."
    >> - Henry David Thoreau (1817-1862)

    > ______________________________
    >
    > PC rage.
    >
    > 'nuff said.


    Gotcha! :)

    --
    -There are some who call me...
    Jim


    "Facts are the enemy of truth."
    - Don Quixote - "Man of La Mancha"
    James D Andrews, Jul 6, 2011
    #8
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. Silverstrand

    Thermaltake Eureka

    Silverstrand, Feb 8, 2006, in forum: Front Page News
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    710
    Silverstrand
    Feb 8, 2006
  2. Chris
    Replies:
    2
    Views:
    846
    Chris
    Sep 28, 2005
  3. Mark Herring
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    315
    BG250
    Dec 8, 2003
  4. DVD Specials

    (Dutch) Review: Eureka (DVD)

    DVD Specials, Apr 22, 2004, in forum: DVD Video
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    689
    DVD Specials
    Apr 22, 2004
  5. Gary Eickmeier

    Eureka on Color Management

    Gary Eickmeier, Apr 17, 2005, in forum: Digital Photography
    Replies:
    71
    Views:
    2,306
    Gary Eickmeier
    Apr 26, 2005
Loading...

Share This Page