    Can you recommend anything I might have missed?

    Thanks.
    , Aug 23, 2013

  2. Paul Guest

    wrote:
    > Paul:
    >
    > http://www.java.com/en/download/installed.jsp
    >
    > I have done everything I've researched on line to get the above link to verify my Java installation, including disabling my antivirus and firewall.
    >
    > NOTHING WORKS.
    >
    > Can you recommend anything I might have missed?
    >
    > Thanks.

    I'm no expert on Java, but I recommend using
    the standalone installer.

    Go to "Add/Remove Programs" or "Programs and Features", and
    uninstall Java first.

    You can install Java 6 or Java 7. You'd use Java 6, only
    if you had some program already on the computer, that
    needed the older Java RunTime Engine (JRE). Otherwise,
    if you were playing some game that needed Java in the
    browser, might as well use the latest version for that.
    I don't know if you can have two versions loaded at
    the same time or not. Probably not a good idea.

    So what I need, is a link that does not say "Online installer".
    I need a standalone installer. My experience is, the
    standalone installer does a better job. If you use the
    browser based installer, there are more ways it can go
    wrong.

    OK, so it looks like I want the "Windows Offline" one.
    Says it is 30.2MB.

    http://javadl.sun.com/webapps/download/AutoDL?BundleId=79063

    The file I'm getting right now, is jre-7u25-windows-i586.exe .
    The file size is 31,714,216 bytes. A full installer.

    There are probably still ways it can fail. And I can't diagnose
    all of those from here.

    There is a list of a few things to check, here.

    http://www.java.com/en/download/testjava.jsp

    Java can run two ways. You can have a program
    loaded directly on the computer, and the program
    uses JRE when it runs. The second way, is Java
    that comes in through your browser, for playing
    Java games inside a browser. And that may involve
    a plugin or add-on the Java installer adds to the
    browser. The browser controls (see Options or Preferences),
    may be preventing Java from running. You'll need to
    turn it on.

    Paul
    Paul, Aug 24, 2013

  3. Guest

    Thanks Paul. Everything you recommended checks out. Also did stand alone(offline) installer.

    Still no confirmation!

    Oh well, leave well enough alone.
    , Aug 24, 2013