patton ATA not working with voipfone revisted, works with sipgate

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by Blu, Jun 14, 2011.

  1. Blu

    Blu Guest

    Right well, the new replacement Patton ATA arrived last week, complete
    with working LEDs.

    Set it up using the voipfone.net domain settings. Exactly as before, it
    registers, it shows the new voicemails waiting correctly, but it is
    unable to accept calls, doesn't ring and voipfone deals with the calls
    as if no ATA was available, i.e. straight to voicemail.

    Roger and Graham both suggested setting up a sipgate account. This I
    have now done, and low and behold the ATA works perfectly with it and
    rings as you'd expect when it receives an incoming call.

    The reason I went to voipfone was that I wanted to port my existing BT
    number to VOIP and at the time it was really only voipfone and gradwell
    that were offering that option, so just switching to sipgate isn't an
    option for me as I want to keep that number, even if the only solution
    ends up to be blowing another £60 on a guaranteed to work ATA bought
    from voipfone, although obviously that isn't ideal.

    Blu
    Blu, Jun 14, 2011

  2. Blu

    Graham. Guest

    "Blu" <> wrote in message news:0HLJp.4481$2...

    > Right well, the new replacement Patton ATA arrived last week, complete with working LEDs.
    >
    > Set it up using the voipfone.net domain settings. Exactly as before, it registers, it shows the new voicemails waiting correctly,
    > but it is unable to accept calls, doesn't ring and voipfone deals with the calls as if no ATA was available, i.e. straight to
    > voicemail.
    >
    > Roger and Graham both suggested setting up a sipgate account. This I have now done, and low and behold the ATA works perfectly
    > with it and rings as you'd expect when it receives an incoming call.
    >
    > The reason I went to voipfone was that I wanted to port my existing BT number to VOIP and at the time it was really only voipfone
    > and gradwell that were offering that option, so just switching to sipgate isn't an option for me as I want to keep that number,
    > even if the only solution ends up to be blowing another £60 on a guaranteed to work ATA bought from voipfone, although obviously
    > that isn't ideal.
    >
    > Blu

    I'm wondering if it's a consequence of how your router handles NAT etc.,
    I am not totally convinced that even a Voipfone supplied ATA would work.
    This probably has all been discussed earlier, forgive me if I don't look at it just now.

    If I was in your shoes I would try an indirect approach to get things working.

    Grab a free pbxes.org account which effectively is a basic hosted Asterisk box.
    Register the voipfone account as a trunk
    Register your ATA as an extension
    Define an inbound route to ring the extension.

    The config is pretty straight forward, but just ask if you hit a problem

    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%
    Graham., Jun 14, 2011

  3. Blu

    Roger Guest

    On 14/06/2011 18:04, Graham. wrote:
    > "Blu"<> wrote in message news:0HLJp.4481$2...
    >>
    >> Right well, the new replacement Patton ATA arrived last week, complete with working LEDs.
    >>
    >> Set it up using the voipfone.net domain settings. Exactly as before, it registers, it shows the new voicemails waiting correctly,
    >> but it is unable to accept calls, doesn't ring and voipfone deals with the calls as if no ATA was available, i.e. straight to
    >> voicemail.
    >>
    >> Roger and Graham both suggested setting up a sipgate account. This I have now done, and low and behold the ATA works perfectly
    >> with it and rings as you'd expect when it receives an incoming call.
    >>
    >> The reason I went to voipfone was that I wanted to port my existing BT number to VOIP and at the time it was really only voipfone
    >> and gradwell that were offering that option, so just switching to sipgate isn't an option for me as I want to keep that number,
    >> even if the only solution ends up to be blowing another £60 on a guaranteed to work ATA bought from voipfone, although obviously
    >> that isn't ideal.
    >>
    >> Blu

    > I'm wondering if it's a consequence of how your router handles NAT etc.,
    > I am not totally convinced that even a Voipfone supplied ATA would work.
    > This probably has all been discussed earlier, forgive me if I don't look at it just now.
    >
    > If I was in your shoes I would try an indirect approach to get things working.
    >
    > Grab a free pbxes.org account which effectively is a basic hosted Asterisk box.
    > Register the voipfone account as a trunk
    > Register your ATA as an extension
    > Define an inbound route to ring the extension.
    >
    > The config is pretty straight forward, but just ask if you hit a problem

    Just to rule it out as Im also on Virgin (with a superhub) I set myself
    up with a voipfone accout on my fritzbox (behind the superhub and a
    DIR-615) and it rings without a problem so Im at a loss as to why your
    ATA doesnt ring for the voipfone account other than as Graham suggests
    its something to do with NAT on your router.

    Sipgate dont have the best rates these days but they did allow porting
    in of BT numbers - theres a FAQ about it on the help section of their
    website.
    Roger, Jun 14, 2011
  4. Blu

    Tmorley Guest

    On Jun 14, 8:26 pm, Roger <> wrote:
    > On 14/06/2011 18:04, Graham. wrote:
    >

    > > "Blu"<>  wrote in messagenews:0HLJp.4481$2...

    > >> Right well, the new replacement Patton ATA arrived last week, completewith working LEDs.

    > >> Set it up using the voipfone.net domain settings. Exactly as before, it registers, it shows the new voicemails waiting correctly,
    > >> but it is unable to accept calls, doesn't ring and voipfone deals withthe calls as if no ATA was available, i.e. straight to
    > >> voicemail.

    > >> Roger and Graham both suggested setting up a sipgate account. This I have now done, and low and behold the ATA works perfectly
    > >> with it and rings as you'd expect when it receives an incoming call.

    > >> The reason I went to voipfone was that I wanted to port my existing BTnumber to VOIP and at the time it was really only voipfone
    > >> and gradwell that were offering that option, so just switching to sipgate isn't an option for me as I want to keep that number,
    > >> even if the only solution ends up to be blowing another £60 on a guaranteed to work ATA bought from voipfone, although obviously
    > >> that isn't ideal.

    > >> Blu

    > > I'm wondering if it's a consequence of how your router handles NAT etc.,
    > > I am not totally convinced that even a Voipfone supplied ATA would work..
    > > This probably has all been discussed earlier, forgive me if I don't look at it just now.

    > > If I was in your shoes I would try an indirect approach to get things working.

    > > Grab a free pbxes.org account which effectively is a basic hosted Asterisk box.
    > > Register the voipfone account as a trunk
    > > Register your ATA as an extension
    > > Define an inbound route to ring the extension.

    > > The config is pretty straight forward, but just ask if you hit a problem

    > Just to rule it out as Im also on Virgin (with a superhub) I set myself
    > up with a voipfone accout on my fritzbox (behind the superhub and a
    > DIR-615) and it rings without a problem so Im at a loss as to why your
    > ATA doesnt ring for the voipfone account other than as Graham suggests
    > its something to do with NAT on your router.
    >
    > Sipgate dont have the best rates these days but they did allow porting
    > in of BT numbers - theres a FAQ about it on the help section of their
    > website.

    I have a netgear router and had lots of Nat issues with various
    providers I gave voipfone a go and had similar issues to what you're
    describing, they suggested I try their new .net network as its
    supposed to be very clever when it comes to getting around Nat issues
    they told me not to use their Nat proxy but to simply put
    sip.voipfone.net in both the registrar and outbound proxy fields of my
    adaptor and it has been working like a dream ever since.

    Just out of interest I have seen lots of try this and try that but
    have you actually contacted voipfone to see what they say I found
    their support really quite good.

    TM
    Tmorley, Jun 14, 2011
  5. Blu

    Peter Watson Guest

    On 14/06/2011 17:07, Blu wrote:

    > The reason I went to voipfone was that I wanted to port my existing BT
    > number to VOIP and at the time it was really only voipfone and gradwell
    > that were offering that option, so just switching to sipgate isn't an
    > option for me as I want to keep that number, even if the only solution
    > ends up to be blowing another £60 on a guaranteed to work ATA bought
    > from voipfone, although obviously that isn't ideal.
    >
    > Blu

    You can port a BT number to Sipgate and there is no monthly fee for a
    geographic number.

    Drop them an email with your BT number and they will confirm if they are
    able to port it.

    Cheers,

    Peter
    Peter Watson, Jun 14, 2011
  6. Blu

    Blu Guest

    On 14/06/2011 22:07, Tmorley wrote:

    > Just out of interest I have seen lots of try this and try that but
    > have you actually contacted voipfone to see what they say I found
    > their support really quite good.
    >
    > TM

    I have a whole folder full of emails between myself and voipfone, they
    were the first people I tried. Sean at Voipfone support seems very
    competent to me.

    Also, I am using the sip.voipfone.net settings as they advised.

    Thanks

    Blu
    Blu, Jun 14, 2011
  7. Blu

    Blu Guest

    On 14/06/2011 18:04, Graham. wrote:

    > I'm wondering if it's a consequence of how your router handles NAT etc.,
    > I am not totally convinced that even a Voipfone supplied ATA would work.
    > This probably has all been discussed earlier, forgive me if I don't look at it just now.
    >
    > If I was in your shoes I would try an indirect approach to get things working.
    >
    > Grab a free pbxes.org account which effectively is a basic hosted Asterisk box.
    > Register the voipfone account as a trunk
    > Register your ATA as an extension
    > Define an inbound route to ring the extension.
    >
    > The config is pretty straight forward, but just ask if you hit a problem

    Thanks for this Graham.

    It looks like I'm going to get the chance to see if a Voipfone supplied
    ATA would work or not, as Voipfone support have promised to send me a
    Linksys PAP2 I think it is, free of charge, just to get me off their
    backs xD

    I'm not entirely sure its the router though, as I have no problem using
    the Zoiper softphone on my Windows 7 PC and XLite softphone on my Mac
    Book Air both with voipfone and both through the same router.

    In the meantime, I'll take a look at pbxes.org

    Thanks,

    Blu
    Blu, Jun 14, 2011
  8. Blu

    Blu Guest

    On 14/06/2011 18:04, Graham. wrote:
    > "Blu"<> wrote in message news:0HLJp.4481$2...
    >>
    >> Right well, the new replacement Patton ATA arrived last week, complete with working LEDs.
    >>
    >> Set it up using the voipfone.net domain settings. Exactly as before, it registers, it shows the new voicemails waiting correctly,
    >> but it is unable to accept calls, doesn't ring and voipfone deals with the calls as if no ATA was available, i.e. straight to
    >> voicemail.
    >>
    >> Roger and Graham both suggested setting up a sipgate account. This I have now done, and low and behold the ATA works perfectly
    >> with it and rings as you'd expect when it receives an incoming call.
    >>
    >> The reason I went to voipfone was that I wanted to port my existing BT number to VOIP and at the time it was really only voipfone
    >> and gradwell that were offering that option, so just switching to sipgate isn't an option for me as I want to keep that number,
    >> even if the only solution ends up to be blowing another £60 on a guaranteed to work ATA bought from voipfone, although obviously
    >> that isn't ideal.
    >>
    >> Blu

    > I'm wondering if it's a consequence of how your router handles NAT etc.,
    > I am not totally convinced that even a Voipfone supplied ATA would work.
    > This probably has all been discussed earlier, forgive me if I don't look at it just now.

    Well it gets more and more curious.

    I've just powered up the pre-configured Linksys PAP 2 supplied by
    Voipfone and it works absolutely fine and as expected.

    This thread sort of moves to academic as I now have a working ATA on the
    phone service I want it, but I may well take this issue up with Patton
    in Switzerland to see if they know of any customers using the M-ATA with
    Voipfone. I only tried the USA support email previously who never
    replied, possibly as I'm in Europe. Any answers I get I'll report back
    here for your interest.

    Thanks all of you for your input
    Blu
    Blu, Jun 19, 2011
  9. Blu

    News Reader Guest

    "Blu" <> wrote in message
    > On 14/06/2011 18:04, Graham. wrote:
    >> "Blu"<> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> Right well, the new replacement Patton ATA arrived last week, complete
    >>> with working LEDs.
    >>>
    >>> Set it up using the voipfone.net domain settings. Exactly as before, it
    >>> registers, it shows the new voicemails waiting correctly,
    >>> but it is unable to accept calls, doesn't ring and voipfone deals with
    >>> the calls as if no ATA was available, i.e. straight to
    >>> voicemail.
    >>>
    >>> Roger and Graham both suggested setting up a sipgate account. This I
    >>> have now done, and low and behold the ATA works perfectly
    >>> with it and rings as you'd expect when it receives an incoming call.
    >>>
    >>> The reason I went to voipfone was that I wanted to port my existing BT
    >>> number to VOIP and at the time it was really only voipfone
    >>> and gradwell that were offering that option, so just switching to
    >>> sipgate isn't an option for me as I want to keep that number,
    >>> even if the only solution ends up to be blowing another £60 on a
    >>> guaranteed to work ATA bought from voipfone, although obviously
    >>> that isn't ideal.
    >>>
    >>> Blu

    >> I'm wondering if it's a consequence of how your router handles NAT etc.,
    >> I am not totally convinced that even a Voipfone supplied ATA would work.
    >> This probably has all been discussed earlier, forgive me if I don't look
    >> at it just now.

    > Well it gets more and more curious.
    >
    > I've just powered up the pre-configured Linksys PAP 2 supplied by Voipfone
    > and it works absolutely fine and as expected.
    >
    > This thread sort of moves to academic as I now have a working ATA on the
    > phone service I want it, but I may well take this issue up with Patton in
    > Switzerland to see if they know of any customers using the M-ATA with
    > Voipfone. I only tried the USA support email previously who never replied,
    > possibly as I'm in Europe. Any answers I get I'll report back here for
    > your interest.
    >
    > Thanks all of you for your input
    > Blu

    Hi,

    Cool.

    Thanks.

    I am pretty sure it will return, report back as, end up being, anomalous
    differing configurations or vendor solutions (configs) (differing
    implementations, server settings, options, interact[ion]s or standards
    implementations / interpretations).

    Their is likely to be an option (an advanced option[?]) within the Patton
    unit that will support or allow this to be adjusted, accommodated or worked
    around. You just may not have found it, realised it exists or that that part
    or section of the configuration or control of the device exists, is
    available or accessible (or where you need to find it / it can be found,
    etc.).

    Good luck!

    Interesting, fun or curious at least.

    Thanks again.