Patriot Act won't allow people to bring their own honey roasted nuts??

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Nibbler, Mar 3, 2004.

  1. Nibbler

    Nibbler Guest

    <> wrote in message
    news:4045262D.18452.6BF2BC@localhost...
    > This is complete insanity. What can an airline passenger possibly use a

    bag of
    > peanuts for in a hostile manner? I hope it's just an urban legend.

    The pilot could be allergic and be force fed ;-)
    Nibbler, Mar 3, 2004

  2. Nibbler

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    <> wrote:
    > This is complete insanity. What can an airline passenger possibly use a bag of
    > peanuts for in a hostile manner? I hope it's just an urban legend.

    You'll be happy to know I brought a can of honey roasted peanuts on a flight
    that ended not three hours ago. I am still a free man.

    miguel
    --
    Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/
    Miguel Cruz, Mar 3, 2004

  3. Nibbler

    Matt Drury Guest

    > This is complete insanity. What can an airline passenger possibly use
    > a bag of peanuts for in a hostile manner? I hope it's just an urban
    > legend.

    Where is this documented?

    --
    http://mattdrury.net/travel (since 1984)
    Matt Drury, Mar 3, 2004
  4. Re: Patriot Act won't allow people to bring their own honey roastednuts??

    wrote:

    > This is complete insanity. What can an airline passenger possibly use a bag of
    > peanuts for in a hostile manner? I hope it's just an urban legend.

    You wish. I once broke into the Louvre, overpowered the security guards
    Because I Had No Time To Explain and disarmed a bomb left by a Terrorist
    Cell.

    With a pack of Captain's Wafers.

    Sincerely,
    McGyver.

    --
    It Came From C. L. "random Capitialization makes It more Exciting"
    Smith's Unclaimed Mysteries.
    Unclaimed Mysteries, Mar 3, 2004
  5. Nibbler

    Randy Hudson Guest

    In article <4045262D.18452.6BF2BC@localhost>, <> wrote:

    > This is complete insanity. What can an airline passenger possibly use a
    > bag of peanuts for in a hostile manner?

    To cause anaphylactic shock in a co-passenger with a peanut allergy.

    Such a passenger would inform the airline, which would avoid the serving of
    peanuts on the flight. How can the passenger avoid danger from peanut
    products brought aborad by other passengers? She can't, directly; instead,
    the airline bans other passengers bringing those peanut products aboard.

    Thus, the passenger doesn't go into shock, and the flight doesn't have to
    make an emergency landing, disrupting connection and travel plans for the
    passengers aboard as well as those awaiting the equipment and crew at their
    destination.

    This was a rule well before the Patriot Act.

    --
    Randy Hudson
    Randy Hudson, Mar 3, 2004
  6. Nibbler

    The Dave© Guest

    > Randy Hudson wrote:
    > > This is complete insanity. What can an airline passenger possibly
    > > use a bag of peanuts for in a hostile manner?

    > To cause anaphylactic shock in a co-passenger with a peanut allergy.
    >
    > Such a passenger would inform the airline, which would avoid the
    > serving of peanuts on the flight. How can the passenger avoid danger
    > from peanut products brought aborad by other passengers? She can't,
    > directly; instead, the airline bans other passengers bringing those
    > peanut products aboard.
    >
    > Thus, the passenger doesn't go into shock, and the flight doesn't
    > have to make an emergency landing, disrupting connection and travel
    > plans for the passengers aboard as well as those awaiting the
    > equipment and crew at their destination.
    >
    > This was a rule well before the Patriot Act.

    I guess I'll have to start smuggling peanuts in my nose.

    --
    A 'great idea' is one only when *YOU* think it is.
    The Dave©, Mar 3, 2004
  7. Nibbler

    Paul J Gans Guest

    In rec.photo.digital Nibbler <> wrote:

    ><> wrote in message
    >> This is complete insanity. What can an airline passenger possibly use a

    >bag of
    >> peanuts for in a hostile manner? I hope it's just an urban legend.
    >>

    >The pilot could be allergic and be force fed ;-)

    Hey, some people are so allergic to peanuts (seriously) that
    the slightest exposure will send them into shock. Hard to
    call an amulance from 36,000 feet.

    Thus airlines are very careful with peanuts. An allergic
    person can refuse them but if the person sitting next to
    them has them and sneezes....

    The result is that the airlines don't serve them and they
    do NOT want you bringing your own on board.

    This has nothing whatsoever to do with the Patriot Act.

    ---- Paul J. Gans
    Paul J Gans, Mar 4, 2004
  8. Nibbler

    stephen Guest

    (Miguel Cruz) wrote:

    >You'll be happy to know I brought a can of honey roasted peanuts on a flight
    >that ended not three hours ago. I am still a free man.

    Obviously a major security breach.

    I predict an investigation by a Senate subcommittee and the firing of
    at least a dozen people!

    --
    Stephen

    Did Colin Powell know he was lying to the United Nations and US allies?
    stephen, Mar 4, 2004
  9. Re: Patriot Act won't allow people to bring their own honey roastednuts??

    stephen wrote:
    > (Miguel Cruz) wrote:
    >

    >>You'll be happy to know I brought a can of honey roasted peanuts on a flight
    >>that ended not three hours ago. I am still a free man.

    > Obviously a major security breach.
    >
    > I predict an investigation by a Senate subcommittee and the firing of
    > at least a dozen people!

    If so, that will be a dozen more than have been fired as a result of
    intelligence gathering and analysis failures concerning 9-11.

    No higher official has been canned, AFAIK. No Bush people, no Clinton
    leftovers, nobody.

    Instead, those same government agencies have had their powers increased,
    their leaders' places in the Washington bureaucracy solidified, their
    openness to public scrutiny slammed shut.

    Isn't that strange to anybody? Anybody? Bueller?

    Corry
    http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

    See Huntsville's Night of the Upside-Down Aurora.
    http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net/images/upside_down_aurora00.jpg
    Unclaimed Mysteries, Mar 4, 2004
  10. Nibbler

    Rick Guest

    "Unclaimed Mysteries" <> wrote in message
    > stephen wrote:
    > > (Miguel Cruz) wrote:
    > >

    > >>You'll be happy to know I brought a can of honey roasted peanuts on a flight
    > >>that ended not three hours ago. I am still a free man.

    > > Obviously a major security breach.
    > >
    > > I predict an investigation by a Senate subcommittee and the firing of
    > > at least a dozen people!
    > >

    > If so, that will be a dozen more than have been fired as a result of
    > intelligence gathering and analysis failures concerning 9-11.
    >
    > No higher official has been canned, AFAIK. No Bush people, no Clinton
    > leftovers, nobody.
    >
    > Instead, those same government agencies have had their powers increased,
    > their leaders' places in the Washington bureaucracy solidified, their
    > openness to public scrutiny slammed shut.
    >
    > Isn't that strange to anybody? Anybody? Bueller?

    When all's said and done, history books will record the
    worst terrorist attacks in the history of the United States
    took place under the watch of one George W. Bush.

    His presidency has been an unqualified disaster in every
    way -- domestic as well as foreign policy. Yet every time
    I see him giving a speech, his Xanax-intoxicated chest is
    just a little more puffed out, like an overinflated balloon.
    He really is completely out of touch with the American
    people, and reality.

    Rick
    Rick, Mar 4, 2004
  11. Nibbler

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Paul J Gans <> wrote:
    > The result is that the airlines don't serve them and they
    > do NOT want you bringing your own on board.

    Plenty of airlines serve peanuts every day.

    miguel
    --
    Hundreds of travel photos from around the world: http://travel.u.nu/
    Miguel Cruz, Mar 4, 2004
  12. Nibbler

    zbzbzb Guest

    >When all's said and done, history books will record the
    >worst terrorist attacks in the history of the United States
    >took place under the watch of one George W. Bush.
    >
    >His presidency has been an unqualified disaster in every
    >way -- domestic as well as foreign policy. Yet every time
    >I see him giving a speech, his Xanax-intoxicated chest is
    >just a little more puffed out, like an overinflated balloon.
    >He really is completely out of touch with the American
    >people, and reality.
    >
    >Rick

    Isn't this coming from a foreigner? Quite arrogant and amusing that you would
    think such a thing if you are. He may be out of touch for you but certainly not
    with many, if not most Americans.
    zbzbzb, Mar 4, 2004
  13. Nibbler

    Rick Guest

    "zbzbzb" <> wrote in message news:...
    > >When all's said and done, history books will record the
    > >worst terrorist attacks in the history of the United States
    > >took place under the watch of one George W. Bush.
    > >
    > >His presidency has been an unqualified disaster in every
    > >way -- domestic as well as foreign policy. Yet every time
    > >I see him giving a speech, his Xanax-intoxicated chest is
    > >just a little more puffed out, like an overinflated balloon.
    > >He really is completely out of touch with the American
    > >people, and reality.

    > Isn't this coming from a foreigner? Quite arrogant and amusing that you would
    > think such a thing if you are. He may be out of touch for you but certainly not
    > with many, if not most Americans.

    I'm in California. In fact Bush is flying into my area later today,
    giving a speech for his $1000/plate rich buddies, then immediately
    flying out again. He doesn't want to spend any time seeing the
    results of his economic policies on my neighborhood.

    Rick
    Rick, Mar 4, 2004
  14. Nibbler

    zbzbzb Guest

    >I'm in California. In fact Bush is flying into my area later today,
    >giving a speech for his $1000/plate rich buddies, then immediately
    >flying out again. He doesn't want to spend any time seeing the
    >results of his economic policies on my neighborhood.
    >
    >Rick

    "My neighborhood?" So do you represent everyones view in your neighborhood? You
    say he is "completely out of touch with the American people." You should
    restrict your opinions to yourself or the side of the political spectrum that
    you represent because surely you can not and do not represent all Americans.
    zbzbzb, Mar 4, 2004
  15. Nibbler

    Rick Guest

    "zbzbzb" <> wrote in message news:...

    > >I'm in California. In fact Bush is flying into my area later today,
    > >giving a speech for his $1000/plate rich buddies, then immediately
    > >flying out again. He doesn't want to spend any time seeing the
    > >results of his economic policies on my neighborhood.

    > "My neighborhood?" So do you represent everyones view in your neighborhood? You
    > say he is "completely out of touch with the American people." You should
    > restrict your opinions to yourself or the side of the political spectrum that
    > you represent because surely you can not and do not represent all Americans.

    Obviously. It's my opinion, and you know what they say
    about opinions.

    Rick
    Rick, Mar 4, 2004
  16. In article <c25pd4$hn4$>,
    Randy Hudson <> wrote:
    >In article <4045262D.18452.6BF2BC@localhost>, <> wrote:
    >
    >> This is complete insanity. What can an airline passenger possibly use a
    >> bag of peanuts for in a hostile manner?

    >To cause anaphylactic shock in a co-passenger with a peanut allergy.
    >
    >Such a passenger would inform the airline, which would avoid the serving of
    >peanuts on the flight. How can the passenger avoid danger from peanut
    >products brought aborad by other passengers? She can't, directly; instead,
    >the airline bans other passengers bringing those peanut products aboard.

    Two questions:
    1) This "peanut allergy" thing seems to be the "disease d'jour"
    these days. Anyone have a stat on the actual incidence?
    2) Isn't it true that for just about any product, somebody
    somewhere is allergic to it? Where does it end?
    Kenny McCormack, Mar 4, 2004
  17. Nibbler

    Mark Hewitt Guest

    "Kenny McCormack" <> wrote in message

    > Two questions:
    > 1) This "peanut allergy" thing seems to be the "disease d'jour"
    > these days. Anyone have a stat on the actual incidence?

    About 1 in every 200 people are allergic to peanuts to some degree. So
    chances are on a full plane there will be one person.
    Mark Hewitt, Mar 4, 2004
  18. Re: Patriot Act won't allow people to bring their own honey roastednuts??

    Mark Hewitt wrote:

    > "Kenny McCormack" <> wrote in message
    >
    >>Two questions:
    >>1) This "peanut allergy" thing seems to be the "disease d'jour"
    >>these days. Anyone have a stat on the actual incidence?

    > About 1 in every 200 people are allergic to peanuts to some degree. So
    > chances are on a full plane there will be one person.

    Ny understanding is that it is rare but very severe. I hope there is
    some progress to help those with this allergy because peanut products
    are in so many goods. And they aren't going away unless Important People
    become affected, of course.

    You'd think http://www.peanutallergy.com/ would be a good resource but
    the web page is teh suck.

    http://www.allergyasthma.on.ca/peanut1.htm is more informative.

    Corry
    http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net

    This picture, made from public property, earned me a visit from
    corporate security officers. Apparently Vulcan's restoration is a Trade
    Secret. Or they thought I was going to kidnap and molest it.
    http://www.unclaimedmysteries.net/images/vulcan_restoration_ir00.jpg
    Unclaimed Mysteries, Mar 4, 2004
  19. Nibbler

    Paul J Gans Guest

    In rec.photo.digital Miguel Cruz <> wrote:
    >Paul J Gans <> wrote:
    >> The result is that the airlines don't serve them and they
    >> do NOT want you bringing your own on board.

    >Plenty of airlines serve peanuts every day.

    Fine. They will eventually get sued. But the point
    is that this has nothing to do with the Patriot Act.

    ---- Paul J. Gans
    Paul J Gans, Mar 4, 2004
  20. This was probably instigated by the airlines so they would have less
    competition with their new enterprise as a seller of snacks and meals.

    rhodo chrosite, Mar 4, 2004