Patition resizing software - opinions

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by - Bobb -, Jun 26, 2006.

  1. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    I'm gonna install latest version of Vista so I need to resize a
    partition.
    I've got XP all alone on a 141gb partition and rather than image
    it,repartition and reinstall, I just visited BootIt NG and UBCD
    http://67.19.82.66/ubcd/website/index.html to check the free software.

    Any opinions on freeware ?- good or bad - easy to use etc on any of
    these:
    BootIt NG
    Ranish Partition Manager 2.40
    TestDisk 6.2
    Partition Resizer 1.3.4
    Active@ Partition Recovery

    Both drives are NTFS
    Drive 1 has 2 installs of XP(C) and E (old XP install) and a
    library(D).
    Drive 2 = X64 ( E = 25 gb) and XP SP2 ( F= 141gb)
    I want to resize F to be ~ 25gb and then make 2 new partitions on Drive
    2 - Vista and a library. So I expect to use the program to resize F- get
    the 2 new partitions on there and then I'm done with it ( so that's why
    I didn't want to spend ~$50 for the solution).
    I figured both X64 installs to go on the same drive. Drive 1 WAS a
    standalone XP/ X64 drive that I'm reusing to see differences between X64
    and Vista.
    Plan B : I could use Norton Ghost to image F - save the install to
    CD/DVD and when Vista trial is over, restore it there .
    - Bobb -, Jun 26, 2006

  2. - Bobb -

    Haggis Guest

    "- Bobb -" <> wrote in message
    > I'm gonna install latest version of Vista so I need to resize a partition.
    > I've got XP all alone on a 141gb partition and rather than image
    > it,repartition and reinstall, I just visited BootIt NG and UBCD
    > http://67.19.82.66/ubcd/website/index.html to check the free software.
    >
    > Any opinions on freeware ?- good or bad - easy to use etc on any of these:
    > BootIt NG
    > Ranish Partition Manager 2.40
    > TestDisk 6.2
    > Partition Resizer 1.3.4
    > Active@ Partition Recovery
    >
    > Both drives are NTFS
    > Drive 1 has 2 installs of XP(C) and E (old XP install) and a library(D).
    > Drive 2 = X64 ( E = 25 gb) and XP SP2 ( F= 141gb)
    > I want to resize F to be ~ 25gb and then make 2 new partitions on Drive
    > 2 - Vista and a library. So I expect to use the program to resize F- get
    > the 2 new partitions on there and then I'm done with it ( so that's why I
    > didn't want to spend ~$50 for the solution).
    > I figured both X64 installs to go on the same drive. Drive 1 WAS a
    > standalone XP/ X64 drive that I'm reusing to see differences between X64
    > and Vista.
    > Plan B : I could use Norton Ghost to image F - save the install to CD/DVD
    > and when Vista trial is over, restore it there .

    BootIt NG has been recommended numerous times in these groups , can't say
    on the rest
    Haggis, Jun 26, 2006

  3. Hey Bobb, Just used BootIT NG as Haggis mentioned it's been referred to many
    times. I have used it to fix quite a bit of partition problems. It's a good
    program. It might be a little slow if you've used a lot of space on your
    Hard Drive but it will do the job. Good Luck

    Joe

    Kemco IT Professional

    =?Utf-8?B?S2VtY28=?=, Jun 26, 2006
  4. of the non-free partition tools, I'm partial to Acronis Disk Director. And
    it runs in XP x64. However, with all of these tools, you can use them to
    change partition sizes and number, but then you should use Vista to recreate
    and reformat any partition you're going to use for Vista. I've seen a number
    of issues with folks who used one of these tools to non-destructively
    rearrange their partitions, but then had boot issues when Vista was
    installed into a partition that had been created with the tool. Using the
    partition tool to do the re-arrangement, but then using Vista during the
    installation process to drop and recreate the partition is a better bet.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 26, 2006
  5. - Bobb -

    MICHAEL Guest

    > of the non-free partition tools, I'm partial to Acronis Disk Director. And it runs in XP x64.
    > However, with all of these tools, you can use them to change partition sizes and number, but
    > then you should use Vista to recreate and reformat any partition you're going to use for
    > Vista. I've seen a number of issues with folks who used one of these tools to
    > non-destructively rearrange their partitions, but then had boot issues when Vista was
    > installed into a partition that had been created with the tool. Using the partition tool to
    > do the re-arrangement, but then using Vista during the installation process to drop and
    > recreate the partition is a better bet.

    I used Acronis to resize Vista's partition, I added more space.
    I did this via WinXP.

    Upon rebooting, I was told winload.exe could not be found
    Was able to boot back to XP. Stuck in the Vista installation
    disk and ran the cmd "d:\boot\bootsect /nt60 F:" That fixed
    it for me.

    Resizing partitions can be a scary thing.

    -Michael
    MICHAEL, Jun 26, 2006
  6. - Bobb -

    John Barnes Guest

    Interesting suggestion. My installation of Vista (you brought it up) only
    offered to reformat the partition, and obviously did a quick format as it
    took only seconds. No other options were presented to me. I had planned to
    do as you recommend but was not available. I had my x64 and x86 drives
    disconnected and the only partition on the drive was an old x86.

    John Barnes, Jun 26, 2006
  7. If I remember correctly, click the advanced options button for 'remove' and
    'new'.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 26, 2006
  8. yes, I brought it up. ;) You should have had an option, but if there wasn't
    anythig but a single drive/partition in the machine, that may have been the
    reason.

    I think it also differs depending on whether you start the install from a
    DVD boot, or from within an existing Windows installation. Haven't played
    around with it much, actually. Just know it can be a problem if you're not
    careful.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 26, 2006
  9. Good information. And yes, it can be scary. But we all have current,
    verified backups before we do such things, right? <g>

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 26, 2006
  10. - Bobb -

    MICHAEL Guest

    Absolutely! Although, I learned that lesson the hard
    way- a few times- before I got into the habit of making
    backups.

    -Michael

    MICHAEL, Jun 26, 2006
  11. Yes, more advanced options are available when booting from the dvd. I
    suspect that is the underlying WinRE which you cannot see when having booted
    XP. btw, if I'm right, Vista Home Basic and Premium users would not ever
    see such advanced options. But then those systems are almost certainly
    going to be preinstalled anyway.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 26, 2006
  12. - Bobb -

    rbd Guest

    In my initial attempts to install VISTA I used a UBCD boot CD and Ranish to
    delete the active WINXP partition and installed VISTA in the unallocated
    disk space. VISTA appeared to install properly, but kept getting "Windows
    Boot Manager" "Windows did not install correctly" errors. Tried to
    do Startup Repair with no success.

    I was unable to install VISTA on my IDE0 drive until I cleaned off all
    partitions on the drive let VISTA install on an empty drive.

    Hope you are able to get VISTA to install without deleting your other
    partitions.

    rbd, Jun 26, 2006
  13. - Bobb -

    HeyBub Guest

    - Bobb - wrote:
    > I'm gonna install latest version of Vista so I need to resize a
    > partition.

    Got $40? Get another disk drive.
    HeyBub, Jun 26, 2006
  14. Well, then ALL x64 versions should have the advanced options. While it's
    possible that they may be launchable from within XP, they'll certainly
    require a full, fresh, install - no direct upgrade is possible.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 26, 2006
  15. You'd be astonished at the number of people who don't.

    --
    Charlie.
    http://msmvps.com/xperts64

    Charlie Russel - MVP, Jun 26, 2006
  16. As I recall, WinRE is not in the Home editions.

    Colin Barnhorst, Jun 26, 2006
  17. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Re: Partition resizing software - opinions

    OK, I no longer care about the space occupied by the old XP install.
    To now wipe/format the space, ( to be re-used later when Vista expires -
    maybe by XP x86) should I do so with XP SP2 x86 ?
    In XP Disk mgmt - delete partition 2 on X64 drive - then setup the new
    partitions - format the others, but leave the Vista chunk unformatted.
    Then once I start Vista install, you're saying to THEN format that
    space. ( to also save time)

    Bobb

    - Bobb -, Jun 26, 2006
  18. - Bobb - wrote:
    > I'm gonna install latest version of Vista so I need to resize a partition.
    > I've got XP all alone on a 141gb partition and rather than image
    > it,repartition and reinstall, I just visited BootIt NG and UBCD
    > http://67.19.82.66/ubcd/website/index.html to check the free software.
    >
    > Any opinions on freeware ?- good or bad - easy to use etc on any of these:
    > BootIt NG
    > Ranish Partition Manager 2.40
    > TestDisk 6.2
    > Partition Resizer 1.3.4
    > Active@ Partition Recovery

    BootItNG has never disappointed me, so I stopped looking at other
    partition managers.

    --

    Bruce Chambers

    Help us help you:
    http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

    Bruce Chambers, Jun 27, 2006
  19. - Bobb -

    Chad Harris Guest

    Colin--

    Win RE should be available on any Vista DVD whatever the "edition" as far
    as I know. They won't withold that just for Premium users. If that's the
    case I'm surprised and I doubt that would happen. What no one from MSFT
    ever wants to see discussed is that OEM users who pay sometimes large bucks
    for boxes from their 300 named partners are deprived of reaching Win RE from
    either partitions or so-called Recovery Discs 99+% of the time, just as they
    are denied doing repair install booting from the DVD in Win XP. Go on any
    XP newsgroup are chat for a half hour and you'll see a parade of people who
    have preinstalled OEM XP, no CD from MSFT and can't do diddly squatt with
    what OEM brung 'em to dance with cryin' all over the place.

    We're talking about more people on both OS's than can fit around the table
    for a poker game--500 million to be specific.

    CH

    Chad Harris, Jun 27, 2006
  20. - Bobb -

    Chad Harris Guest

    Correction--what MSFT denies in XP to the OEM buyer is a valid CD and in
    Vista they will deny a valid DVD.

    XP on CD; Vista on DVD afik although I'm sure some people will find ways to
    span CDs for Vista via prep methods.

    CH

    Chad Harris, Jun 27, 2006