    $666 a few months ago).

    Obviously Mme Klark is too busy playing with her poi's to pay much
    attention.
    Joy, Mar 1, 2004

  2. Joy

    JedMeister Guest

    The wise-heads in NZ say we can never have cheap broadband here, until we
    have the population of Japan.

    Also, there's this whopping undersea cable, which cost a gazillion to build
    (according the the wise-heads), and we can never hope to pay off so, looks
    like NZ is set to remain a farming economy.

    JedMeister, Mar 1, 2004

  3. Joy

    EMB Guest

    "Joy" <> wrote in message
    > When is NZ going to allow some competition for broadband?

    > But if anyone in NZ cares to phone the Telecom/Xtra monopoly and ask which
    > 10GB full speed personal plan they can get they will simply be told that
    > nothing is available. That is right - *nothing*! How inept is that?!
    > Unless you get a business plan and pay a ludicrous $888 per month (up from
    > $666 a few months ago).

    Christ, even ihug has decent offerings in Aus.

    http://www.ihug.com.au/getultra/adsl-pricing.html

    About time for a large consumer backlash here - any way we can make ADSL
    part of the kiwi share? It's for voice (over IP) services so lets warp the
    rules.

    EMB
    EMB, Mar 1, 2004
  4. Joy

    EMB Guest

    EMB, Mar 1, 2004
  5. Joy

    Joy Guest

    JedMeister wrote:

    > The wise-heads in NZ say we can never have cheap broadband here, until we
    > have the population of Japan.

    Then how come NZ manages to get cheap phone calls? And cheap food?
    There is absolutely no logic in your statement.

    > Also, there's this whopping undersea cable, which cost a gazillion to
    > build (according the the wise-heads), and we can never hope to pay off so,
    > looks like NZ is set to remain a farming economy.

    The cable has already been paid off. It is now making pure profit for
    Telecom and other shareholders.
    And it cost a lot less than a gazillion.
    Joy, Mar 1, 2004
  6. Joy

    -[Myth]- Guest

    Ihug's wired country offerings are not so pathetic:

    http://www.ihug.co.nz/wireless/index.html

    -[Myth]-, Mar 1, 2004
  7. Joy

    Chris Guest

    Joy <> wrote in news::

    > JedMeister wrote:
    >
    >> The wise-heads in NZ say we can never have cheap broadband here,
    >> until we have the population of Japan.

    > Then how come NZ manages to get cheap phone calls? And cheap food?
    > There is absolutely no logic in your statement.
    >

    >> Also, there's this whopping undersea cable, which cost a gazillion to
    >> build (according the the wise-heads), and we can never hope to pay
    >> off so, looks like NZ is set to remain a farming economy.

    > The cable has already been paid off. It is now making pure profit for
    > Telecom and other shareholders.

    What about repairs and maintance, depreciation, hedging on future R&M (it
    can't be cheap to hire a cable laying ship) and all the other associated
    costs of running a business.

    > And it cost a lot less than a gazillion.

    It sure did, just like it's not now making pure profit

    --
    Chris

    Chris, Mar 1, 2004
  8. Joy

    Lebowski Guest

    "-[Myth]-" <> wrote in message
    > Ihug's wired country offerings are not so pathetic:
    >
    > http://www.ihug.co.nz/wireless/index.html

    The transmitter range of the offerings, however, are rather pathetic. I
    could kick a football further than the diameter of their coverage!
    Lebowski, Mar 1, 2004
  9. Joy

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 01 Mar 2004 16:27:57 +1100, Joy <> wrote:

    >JedMeister wrote:
    >
    >> The wise-heads in NZ say we can never have cheap broadband here, until we
    >> have the population of Japan.

    >Then how come NZ manages to get cheap phone calls? And cheap food?
    >There is absolutely no logic in your statement.
    >

    >> Also, there's this whopping undersea cable, which cost a gazillion to
    >> build (according the the wise-heads), and we can never hope to pay off so,
    >> looks like NZ is set to remain a farming economy.

    >The cable has already been paid off. It is now making pure profit for
    >Telecom and other shareholders.
    >And it cost a lot less than a gazillion.

    It cost US$2 billion. I can't believe they have recovered this
    already. Where did you get that information?
    Craig Shore, Mar 1, 2004
  10. Joy

    Joy Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:

    >>The cable has already been paid off. It is now making pure profit for
    >>Telecom and other shareholders.
    >>And it cost a lot less than a gazillion.

    > It cost US$2 billion. I can't believe they have recovered this
    > already. Where did you get that information?

    From the Southern Cross annual report.
    Joy, Mar 1, 2004
  11. Joy

    Mainlander Guest

    In article <>, says...
    > When is NZ going to allow some competition for broadband?
    > Does NZ really believe that a monopoly provides a better service?
    >
    > Here is some food for thought. My ISP in Australia has just released new
    > plans.
    >
    > http://adsl.internode.on.net/pricing/price-list-personal.htm
    >
    > But if anyone in NZ cares to phone the Telecom/Xtra monopoly and ask which
    > 10GB full speed personal plan they can get they will simply be told that
    > nothing is available. That is right - *nothing*! How inept is that?!
    > Unless you get a business plan and pay a ludicrous $888 per month (up from
    > $666 a few months ago).
    >
    > Obviously Mme Klark is too busy playing with her poi's to pay much
    > attention.

    The government before no doubt toadied to the BRT line about eroding
    Telecom's business
    Mainlander, Mar 1, 2004
  12. Joy wrote:
    > When is NZ going to allow some competition for broadband?
    > Does NZ really believe that a monopoly provides a better service?
    > Here is some food for thought. My ISP in Australia has just released new
    > plans.

    Could this be a troll?</sarcasm>

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Mar 1, 2004
  13. Joy wrote:
    >>Also, there's this whopping undersea cable, which cost a gazillion to
    >>build (according the the wise-heads), and we can never hope to pay off so,
    >>looks like NZ is set to remain a farming economy.

    > The cable has already been paid off. It is now making pure profit for
    > Telecom and other shareholders.
    > And it cost a lot less than a gazillion.

    How much?
    and how do yuo know this?

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Mar 1, 2004
  14. Craig Shore wrote:
    > It cost US$2 billion. I can't believe they have recovered this
    > already. Where did you get that information?

    hell, even the intrest on that $2B would be huge...

    --
    Http://www.Dave.net.nz
    Play Hangman
    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz, Mar 1, 2004
  15. Joy

    EMB Guest

    "T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz" <> wrote in
    message news:eek:zM0c.7246$...
    > Craig Shore wrote:
    > > It cost US$2 billion. I can't believe they have recovered this
    > > already. Where did you get that information?

    > hell, even the intrest on that $2B would be huge...

    The cost is goven as US$1.3B. The statement here from Optus who own 40% of
    it says the cable had recovered it's costs by end of FY 2001.

    http://www.optus.com.au/Vign/ViewMgmt/display/0,2627,1031_29349-3_31346--View_303,00.html

    As such the bandwidth costs should be very low by now. Certainly with the
    new satellites that are going up it shows that new entrants into the market
    think they can undercut SXC and still make a profit. I guess with Telecom
    owning 50% of the cable we'll never get a fair deal anyway.

    EMB
    EMB, Mar 1, 2004
  16. Joy

    harry Guest

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    > Joy wrote:
    >> When is NZ going to allow some competition for broadband?
    >> Does NZ really believe that a monopoly provides a better service?
    >> Here is some food for thought. My ISP in Australia has just
    >> released new plans.

    > Could this be a troll?</sarcasm>

    woop de fuckin doo its Jay the stupid trolling ozzie C*NT yet again
    Does he work for Optus or something or is he just a complete famining tosser
    with nothing better to do ?
    Australian broadband sucks.
    New Zealand broadband sucks.
    I'm still happy with my Saturn connection.
    24/7 free 100MB/S internet wouldn't be enough to get me to live in Australia
    and have to put up with stupid C*NTS like Jay.
    harry, Mar 1, 2004
  17. Joy

    Chris Guest

    "harry" <> wrote in news:cYN0c.29854$:

    > T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >> Could this be a troll?</sarcasm>

    > woop de fuckin doo its Jay the stupid trolling ozzie C*NT yet again
    > Does he work for Optus or something or is he just a complete famining
    > tosser with nothing better to do ?
    > Australian broadband sucks.
    > New Zealand broadband sucks.
    > I'm still happy with my Saturn connection.
    > 24/7 free 100MB/S internet wouldn't be enough to get me to live in
    > Australia and have to put up with stupid C*NTS like Jay.

    I though Joy was an expat Kiwi or is that Jay I'm thinking of ? or are they
    one and the same.... ewwwwww an expat Kiwi thats had a sex change and
    pretending to be an Aussie ......

    --
    Chris

    Chris, Mar 1, 2004
  18. Joy

    Joy Guest

    T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    > Joy wrote:
    >> When is NZ going to allow some competition for broadband?
    >> Does NZ really believe that a monopoly provides a better service?
    >> Here is some food for thought. My ISP in Australia has just released new
    >> plans.

    > Could this be a troll?</sarcasm>

    <correction> No </correction>
    Joy, Mar 1, 2004
  19. Joy

    Joy Guest

    harry wrote:

    > T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:
    >> Joy wrote:
    >>> When is NZ going to allow some competition for broadband?
    >>> Does NZ really believe that a monopoly provides a better service?
    >>> Here is some food for thought. My ISP in Australia has just
    >>> released new plans.

    >> Could this be a troll?</sarcasm>

    > woop de fuckin doo its Jay the stupid trolling ozzie C*NT yet again

    The name is "Joy".

    > Does he work for Optus or something or is he just a complete famining
    > tosser with nothing better to do ?

    No I don't work for Optus any more.

    > Australian broadband sucks.

    True.

    > New Zealand broadband sucks.

    More truer.

    > I'm still happy with my Saturn connection.

    I am also happy with your Saturn connection.

    > 24/7 free 100MB/S internet wouldn't be enough to get me to live in
    > Australia and have to put up with stupid C*NTS like Jay.

    Your loss is our gain.
    Joy, Mar 1, 2004
  20. Joy

    Joy Guest

    Chris wrote:

    > "harry" <> wrote in news:cYN0c.29854$:
    >
    >> T.N.O. - Dave.net.nz wrote:

    >>> Could this be a troll?</sarcasm>

    >> woop de fuckin doo its Jay the stupid trolling ozzie C*NT yet again
    >> Does he work for Optus or something or is he just a complete famining
    >> tosser with nothing better to do ?
    >> Australian broadband sucks.
    >> New Zealand broadband sucks.
    >> I'm still happy with my Saturn connection.
    >> 24/7 free 100MB/S internet wouldn't be enough to get me to live in
    >> Australia and have to put up with stupid C*NTS like Jay.
    >>

    > I though Joy was an expat Kiwi or is that Jay I'm thinking of ? or are
    > they one and the same.... ewwwwww an expat Kiwi thats had a sex change and
    > pretending to be an Aussie ......

    Since when was Jay a man's name?
    Joy, Mar 1, 2004