    quiet and fast. But now the biggest source of noise is the fan on the
    Zalman heatsink!! I suppose I will have to put up with that quiet
    purr or put the lid back on the PC.
    GraB, Mar 29, 2005

  2. GraB wrote:
    > When I had the Duron 1100 with the standard AMD fan, that fan was the
    > noisiest thing in the PC. Then I upgraded to XP2400 and installed the
    > big Zalman 7000b alcu heatsink with near silent fan. Nice, but now I
    > was aware of the high-pitched metalic whine from the 7200rpm 20.5G
    > Quantum Fireball hard drive. That was getting irritating. Now I have
    > just replaced it with a 160G 8Mb cache Samsung drive. That is so
    > quiet and fast. But now the biggest source of noise is the fan on the
    > Zalman heatsink!! I suppose I will have to put up with that quiet
    > purr or put the lid back on the PC.

    Personally I have gone the way of using a Zalman flower
    http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=33&code=005

    and in winter I need no fan, in summer I have it on, but turned down to
    the lowest setting available... although Im in dunedin, so you may need
    a fan all year if further north.

    for video card I got a Zalman ZM80D-HP
    http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=138&code=013
    now this I would not go without, it is amazing.
    Dave - Dave.net.nz, Mar 29, 2005

  3. Hi there,

    GraB wrote:
    > When I had the Duron 1100 with the standard AMD fan, that fan was the
    > noisiest thing in the PC. Then I upgraded to XP2400 and installed the
    > big Zalman 7000b alcu heatsink with near silent fan. Nice, but now I
    > was aware of the high-pitched metalic whine from the 7200rpm 20.5G
    > Quantum Fireball hard drive. That was getting irritating. Now I have
    > just replaced it with a 160G 8Mb cache Samsung drive. That is so
    > quiet and fast. But now the biggest source of noise is the fan on the
    > Zalman heatsink!! I suppose I will have to put up with that quiet
    > purr or put the lid back on the PC.

    The lid might help! :)

    If you don't need flashing lights or perspex side-covers try something
    like an Antec Sonata Lifestyle case. I just threw an Athlon64 system
    into one of those and its the quietest PC I've experienced by far. From
    6 feet away you need to check the screen or the power LED to know that
    its running...

    --
    Kind regards,

    Chris Wilkinson, Brisbane, Australia.

    Software patents are killing our freedom, STOP THEM NOW!
    Chris Wilkinson, Mar 30, 2005
  4. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:59:34 +1000, Chris Wilkinson
    <> wrote:

    >Hi there,
    >
    >GraB wrote:
    >> When I had the Duron 1100 with the standard AMD fan, that fan was the
    >> noisiest thing in the PC. Then I upgraded to XP2400 and installed the
    >> big Zalman 7000b alcu heatsink with near silent fan. Nice, but now I
    >> was aware of the high-pitched metalic whine from the 7200rpm 20.5G
    >> Quantum Fireball hard drive. That was getting irritating. Now I have
    >> just replaced it with a 160G 8Mb cache Samsung drive. That is so
    >> quiet and fast. But now the biggest source of noise is the fan on the
    >> Zalman heatsink!! I suppose I will have to put up with that quiet
    >> purr or put the lid back on the PC.

    >The lid might help! :)
    >
    >If you don't need flashing lights or perspex side-covers try something
    >like an Antec Sonata Lifestyle case. I just threw an Athlon64 system
    >into one of those and its the quietest PC I've experienced by far. From
    >6 feet away you need to check the screen or the power LED to know that
    >its running...

    Actually I am quibbling. I used to be able to hear the PC from
    another room, but now when I walk into the same room I have to look to
    see if it is on. Once I switched it off thinking I was switching it
    on (blank screen saver)! I will be putting the lid on as soon as I am
    finished this upgrade cycle. Next an Audigy2 ZS soundcard and a
    second smaller drive, 40-80Gig, upgrade the ATI Radeon 7500 video
    card to a 9600 with passive heatsink, a few rounded cables and I am
    done.
    GraB, Mar 30, 2005
  5. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 07:56:35 +1200, "Dave - Dave.net.nz"
    <> wrote:

    >GraB wrote:
    >> When I had the Duron 1100 with the standard AMD fan, that fan was the
    >> noisiest thing in the PC. Then I upgraded to XP2400 and installed the
    >> big Zalman 7000b alcu heatsink with near silent fan. Nice, but now I
    >> was aware of the high-pitched metalic whine from the 7200rpm 20.5G
    >> Quantum Fireball hard drive. That was getting irritating. Now I have
    >> just replaced it with a 160G 8Mb cache Samsung drive. That is so
    >> quiet and fast. But now the biggest source of noise is the fan on the
    >> Zalman heatsink!! I suppose I will have to put up with that quiet
    >> purr or put the lid back on the PC.

    >Personally I have gone the way of using a Zalman flower
    >http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=33&code=005
    >
    >and in winter I need no fan, in summer I have it on, but turned down to
    >the lowest setting available... although Im in dunedin, so you may need
    >a fan all year if further north.
    >
    >for video card I got a Zalman ZM80D-HP
    >http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=138&code=013
    >now this I would not go without, it is amazing.

    The one I was thinking of, which would be plenty good enough for the
    Radeon 7500 or 9600 is
    http://www.zalman.co.kr/eng/product/view.asp?idx=114&code=013

    Some Radeon 9600s come with passive heatsinks but not as good as this.
    GraB, Mar 30, 2005
  6. GraB

    H C E Guest

    On , , Wed, 30 Mar 2005 04:19:43 +1200, Path to silence, GraB
    <> wrote:

    >When I had the Duron 1100 with the standard AMD fan, that fan was the
    >noisiest thing in the PC. Then I upgraded to XP2400 and installed the
    >big Zalman 7000b alcu heatsink with near silent fan. Nice, but now I
    >was aware of the high-pitched metalic whine from the 7200rpm 20.5G
    >Quantum Fireball hard drive. That was getting irritating. Now I have
    >just replaced it with a 160G 8Mb cache Samsung drive. That is so
    >quiet and fast. But now the biggest source of noise is the fan on the
    >Zalman heatsink!! I suppose I will have to put up with that quiet
    >purr or put the lid back on the PC.

    Why do you have the lid off the PC?
    H C E, Mar 31, 2005
  7. GraB

    GraB Guest

    On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 15:30:28 +1200, H C E <>
    wrote:

    >On , , Wed, 30 Mar 2005 04:19:43 +1200, Path to silence, GraB
    ><> wrote:
    >
    >>When I had the Duron 1100 with the standard AMD fan, that fan was the
    >>noisiest thing in the PC. Then I upgraded to XP2400 and installed the
    >>big Zalman 7000b alcu heatsink with near silent fan. Nice, but now I
    >>was aware of the high-pitched metalic whine from the 7200rpm 20.5G
    >>Quantum Fireball hard drive. That was getting irritating. Now I have
    >>just replaced it with a 160G 8Mb cache Samsung drive. That is so
    >>quiet and fast. But now the biggest source of noise is the fan on the
    >>Zalman heatsink!! I suppose I will have to put up with that quiet
    >>purr or put the lid back on the PC.

    >Why do you have the lid off the PC?

    Continuing incremental upgrades. Still four or five more items to go
    before I am finished upgrades on this particular PC. Also, used to
    have noisy fan that needed attention periodically.
    GraB, Mar 31, 2005
  8. Hi there,

    GraB wrote:
    > On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 11:59:34 +1000, Chris Wilkinson
    > <> wrote:
    >

    >>Hi there,
    >>
    >>GraB wrote:
    >>
    >>>When I had the Duron 1100 with the standard AMD fan, that fan was the
    >>>noisiest thing in the PC. Then I upgraded to XP2400 and installed the
    >>>big Zalman 7000b alcu heatsink with near silent fan. Nice, but now I
    >>>was aware of the high-pitched metalic whine from the 7200rpm 20.5G
    >>>Quantum Fireball hard drive. That was getting irritating. Now I have
    >>>just replaced it with a 160G 8Mb cache Samsung drive. That is so
    >>>quiet and fast. But now the biggest source of noise is the fan on the
    >>>Zalman heatsink!! I suppose I will have to put up with that quiet
    >>>purr or put the lid back on the PC.

    >>The lid might help! :)
    >>
    >>If you don't need flashing lights or perspex side-covers try something
    >>like an Antec Sonata Lifestyle case. I just threw an Athlon64 system
    >>into one of those and its the quietest PC I've experienced by far. From
    >>6 feet away you need to check the screen or the power LED to know that
    >>its running...

    > Actually I am quibbling. I used to be able to hear the PC from
    > another room, but now when I walk into the same room I have to look to
    > see if it is on. Once I switched it off thinking I was switching it
    > on (blank screen saver)! I will be putting the lid on as soon as I am
    > finished this upgrade cycle. Next an Audigy2 ZS soundcard and a
    > second smaller drive, 40-80Gig, upgrade the ATI Radeon 7500 video
    > card to a 9600 with passive heatsink, a few rounded cables and I am
    > done.

    Nice. should be a reasonable performer with the 9600, and quiet to boot!

    Chris Wilkinson, Mar 31, 2005