Patent Fans, Meet Nathan Myhrvold

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 27, 2010.

  1. He’s the founder of Intellectual Ventures, basically the world’s biggest
    patent troll. His company does nothing economically productive: all it does
    is buy up patents, and use them to extract payments from companies trying to
    be productive.

    Still think the patent system is so wonderful?

    <http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/03/26/intellectual_ventures_bags_smartphone_patent/>
     
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 27, 2010
    #1
    1. Advertising

  2. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Simon Guest

    On Mar 27, 9:07 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > He’s the founder of Intellectual Ventures, basically the world’s biggest
    > patent troll.


    A bit like how many companies (such as ARM) acquire technology isn't
    it?

    > His company does nothing economically productive: all it does
    > is buy up patents, and use them to extract payments from companies trying to
    > be productive.


    To their credit, they have come up with a couple of inventions
    themselves.

    > Still think the patent system is so wonderful?


    No - it has some flaws that certainly need addressing, particularly
    with patenting of generic processes, and the lack-lustre performance
    of the USPTO in not adequately recognising prior art.

    But again Lawrence, it's all very well to criticise, but how would YOU
    propose to change the system?
     
    Simon, Mar 27, 2010
    #2
    1. Advertising

  3. In message <1fe60349-855a-438d-9611-
    >, Simon wrote:

    > ... but how would YOU propose to change the system?


    Get rid of them.
     
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 27, 2010
    #3
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Simon Guest

    On Mar 28, 12:30 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    > In message <1fe60349-855a-438d-9611-
    >
    > >, Simon wrote:
    > > ... but how would YOU propose to change the system?

    >
    > Get rid of them.


    Universities and corporates rely on the funds generated by patents for
    inventions they have developed. How do you propose to cover that short-
    fall?
     
    Simon, Mar 28, 2010
    #4
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Gordon Guest

    On 2010-03-28, Simon <> wrote:
    > On Mar 28, 12:30 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    > central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:
    >> In message <1fe60349-855a-438d-9611-
    >>
    >> >, Simon wrote:
    >> > ... but how would YOU propose to change the system?

    >>
    >> Get rid of them.

    >
    > Universities and corporates rely on the funds generated by patents for
    > inventions they have developed. How do you propose to cover that short-
    > fall?


    Let the market forces Govern. And that was and idea.

    Yes, Patents are the cousin of Copyright. Us humans seem to have a great
    ability to lose the spirit of the idea.
     
    Gordon, Mar 28, 2010
    #5
  6. In message <d01e7816-e092-498c-
    >, Simon wrote:

    > On Mar 28, 12:30 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >
    >> In message
    >> <>,
    >> Simon wrote:
    >>
    >>> ... but how would YOU propose to change the system?

    >>
    >> Get rid of them.

    >
    > Universities and corporates rely on the funds generated by patents for
    > inventions they have developed.


    Actually, less than 1% of patents make any money at all. The only ones who
    benefit from the rest are the patent attorneys. And of course the
    Government, through the collection of Patent Office fees.
     
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 28, 2010
    #6
  7. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Simon Guest

    On Mar 28, 7:38 pm, Lawrence D'Oliveiro <l...@geek-
    central.gen.new_zealand> wrote:

    > > Universities and corporates rely on the funds generated by patents for
    > > inventions they have developed.

    >
    > Actually, less than 1% of patents make any money at all. The only ones who
    > benefit from the rest are the patent attorneys. And of course the
    > Government, through the collection of Patent Office fees.


    That is a straw man argument. We are not talking about the *number* of
    patents that make money (I'll assume your statistic is correct
    however), we are talking about the *amount of profits* generated from
    patents, which corporates and universities rely upon.
     
    Simon, Mar 28, 2010
    #7
  8. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    Simon Guest

    On Mar 28, 5:06 pm, Gordon <> wrote:

    > Let the market forces Govern. And that was and idea.



    What incentive is there for an individual to put their novel concept
    into production, given that 'big widget company' can take your concept
    and mass produce it, giving you absolutely nothing in return for all
    your hard work?

    Don't get me wrong - I believe there are some fundamental issues with
    the patent system that must be addressed, but I have yet to see any
    reason to completely eliminate it.
     
    Simon, Mar 28, 2010
    #8
  9. In message
    <>, Simon
    wrote:

    > On Mar 28, 12:30 am, Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    > <_zealand> wrote:
    >>
    >> In message
    >> <>,
    >> Simon wrote:
    >>>
    >>> Universities and corporates rely on the funds generated by patents for
    >>> inventions they have developed.

    >>
    >> Actually, less than 1% of patents make any money at all. The only ones
    >> who benefit from the rest are the patent attorneys. And of course the
    >> Government, through the collection of Patent Office fees.

    >
    > That is a straw man argument. We are not talking about the *number* of
    > patents that make money (I'll assume your statistic is correct
    > however), we are talking about the *amount of profits* generated from
    > patents, which corporates and universities rely upon.


    There is a growing body of economic research showing that patents offer no
    net benefit to the economy.
     
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 29, 2010
    #9
  10. In message
    <>, Simon
    wrote:

    > What incentive is there for an individual to put their novel concept
    > into production, given that 'big widget company' can take your concept
    > and mass produce it, giving you absolutely nothing in return for all
    > your hard work?


    If people deserved to be paid in direct proportion to the amount of hard
    work they did, then toilet cleaners would be the highest paid profession in
    the world.
     
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 29, 2010
    #10
  11. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    victor Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message
    > <>, Simon
    > wrote:
    >
    >> What incentive is there for an individual to put their novel concept
    >> into production, given that 'big widget company' can take your concept
    >> and mass produce it, giving you absolutely nothing in return for all
    >> your hard work?

    >
    > If people deserved to be paid in direct proportion to the amount of hard
    > work they did, then toilet cleaners would be the highest paid profession in
    > the world.


    Get your mum to show you how.
    Its easy.
     
    victor, Mar 29, 2010
    #11
  12. In message <hopa68$dpp$>, Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    > There is a growing body of economic research showing that patents offer no
    > net benefit to the economy.


    For example, here’s a whole book by an economics professor, “Against
    Intellectual Monopolyâ€
    <http://levine.sscnet.ucla.edu/general/intellectual/againstfinal.htm>:

    It is common to argue that intellectual property in the form of
    copyright and patent is necessary for the innovation and creation of
    ideas and inventions such as machines, drugs, computer software, books,
    music, literature and movies. In fact intellectual property is a
    government grant of a costly and dangerous private monopoly over ideas.
    We show through theory and example that intellectual monopoly is not
    necessary for innovation and as a practical matter is damaging to
    growth, prosperity and liberty.

    And just to prove he practises what he preaches, you can download the entire
    book for free.
     
    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Mar 30, 2010
    #12
    1. Advertising

Want to reply to this thread or ask your own question?

It takes just 2 minutes to sign up (and it's free!). Just click the sign up button to choose a username and then you can ask your own questions on the forum.
Similar Threads
  1. gangle
    Replies:
    5
    Views:
    676
    Dan Evans
    Mar 9, 2006
  2. Bret

    Nathan

    Bret, Oct 22, 2003, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    3
    Views:
    438
  3. broadssailor
    Replies:
    0
    Views:
    398
    broadssailor
    Dec 22, 2009
  4. Lawrence D'Oliveiro
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    363
    victor
    Aug 31, 2010
  5. Lawrence D'Oliveiro

    If A Patent Is A Monopoly, Then A Patent Pool Is A Cartel

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Oct 29, 2010, in forum: NZ Computing
    Replies:
    1
    Views:
    502
    Gordon
    Oct 31, 2010
Loading...

Share This Page