    with text copied and pasted from PDF file opened in acrobat reader.

    Was there any special thing set in the pdf file that caused this ?

    :|

    ComeMon!, Nov 11, 2003

  2. ComeMon!

    Chris D Guest

    Sounds like there wasn't enough font information stored in the PDF to
    allow extraction/pasting. Were the fonts embedded in the document?
    What created the PDF?

    Chris.
    ___________________________________

    Chris Dahl - CTO, Solutions
    ARTS PDF

    http://www.artspdf.com/

    Chris D, Nov 12, 2003

  3. ComeMon!

    ComeMon! Guest

    (Chris D) wrote in message news:<>...
    > Sounds like there wasn't enough font information stored in the PDF to
    > allow extraction/pasting. Were the fonts embedded in the document?
    > What created the PDF?

    Try this
    http://faculty.ist.unomaha.edu/pdasgupta/research/papers/thesis/thesis.pdf

    ComeMon!, Nov 13, 2003
  4. Aloha,

    "ComeMon!" schrieb:
    > > Sounds like there wasn't enough font information stored in the PDF to
    > > allow extraction/pasting. Were the fonts embedded in the document?
    > > What created the PDF?

    > Try this
    > http://faculty.ist.unomaha.edu/pdasgupta/research/papers/thesis/thesis.pdf

    Build by TeX via dvips, contains subsetted fonts and non-standard encoding
    vector. There is nearly nothing you can do to change this behaviour.
    With a low-level pdf-editor tool you could change both the font definition
    and encoding vector. Or you extract the information about the encoding
    vector and write a script (or use unix's tr) to translate the
    copied string.

    Wishing a happy day
    LOBI

    Andreas Lobinger, Nov 13, 2003
  5. ComeMon!

    Will Henney Guest

    (ComeMon!) wrote in message news:<>...
    > (Chris D) wrote in message news:<>...
    > > Sounds like there wasn't enough font information stored in the PDF to
    > > allow extraction/pasting. Were the fonts embedded in the document?
    > > What created the PDF?

    > Try this
    > http://faculty.ist.unomaha.edu/pdasgupta/research/papers/thesis/thesis.pdf

    Looks like a typical case of someone forgetting the -Ppdf option to
    dvips in the second stage of the conversion chain latex->dvi->ps->pdf.
    As a result, the pdf file has Type 3 bitmapped fonts with a non-standard
    encoding (this also explains why the fonts look fuzzy in acroread).

    Luckily, there is a solution:

    http://www.tex.ac.uk/cgi-bin/texfaq2html?label=pkfix

    You'll need to convert back to ps, fix the fonts with pkfix, then
    convert back to pdf.

    Will Henney, Nov 13, 2003
  6. ComeMon!

    Will Henney Guest

    Sorry, the pkfix method I gave in my previous post doesn't seem
    to work if you only have the PDF file. You need at least
    the original PS file from which the PDF file was generated. At
    least it didn't work for me when using any of pdf2ps (effectively
    ghostscript), pdftops, or "Print to file" in acroread.

    Will Henney, Nov 13, 2003
  7. ComeMon!

    Will Henney Guest

    Andreas Lobinger <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > "ComeMon!" schrieb:
    > > > Sounds like there wasn't enough font information stored in the PDF to
    > > > allow extraction/pasting. Were the fonts embedded in the document?
    > > > What created the PDF?

    > > Try this
    > > http://faculty.ist.unomaha.edu/pdasgupta/research/papers/thesis/thesis.pdf

    > Build by TeX via dvips, contains subsetted fonts and non-standard encoding
    > vector. There is nearly nothing you can do to change this behaviour.
    > With a low-level pdf-editor tool you could change both the font definition
    > and encoding vector. Or you extract the information about the encoding
    > vector and write a script (or use unix's tr) to translate the
    > copied string.

    I found a PS version of the thesis on the website, so the pkfix trick
    can be used after all. In case you don't have easy access to the
    relevant tools, I've put a fixed PDF version for you at

    http://www.astrosmo.unam.mx/~w.henney/comp.text.pdf/thesis_pkfix.pdf

    You should now be able to cut-and-paste to your heart's content. I do
    hope I'm not aiding and abetting plagiarism here :)

    Will Henney, Nov 13, 2003
  8. ComeMon!

    ComeMon! Guest

    Andreas Lobinger <> wrote in message news:<>...
    > Aloha,
    >
    > "ComeMon!" schrieb:
    > > > Sounds like there wasn't enough font information stored in the PDF to
    > > > allow extraction/pasting. Were the fonts embedded in the document?
    > > > What created the PDF?

    > > Try this
    > > http://faculty.ist.unomaha.edu/pdasgupta/research/papers/thesis/thesis.pdf

    > Build by TeX via dvips, contains subsetted fonts and non-standard encoding
    > vector. There is nearly nothing you can do to change this behaviour.
    > With a low-level pdf-editor tool you could change both the font definition
    > and encoding vector. Or you extract the information about the encoding
    > vector and write a script (or use unix's tr) to translate the
    > copied string.

    I want to know more about different encoding standards & format
    definitions of pdf files. Any url can I go for further information :)
    ?

    ComeMon!, Nov 13, 2003
  9. ComeMon!

    Aandi Inston Guest

    (ComeMon!) wrote:

    >I want to know more about different encoding standards & format
    >definitions of pdf files. Any url can I go for further information :)

    The PDF Reference has it all.
    Aandi Inston http://www.quite.com

    Aandi Inston, Nov 13, 2003