past movie mode

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by name, May 22, 2007.

  1. name

    name Guest

    Hello.

    On an old 1MP Casio camera I have, there is a nice feature that lets
    you capture a movie in a special
    'past movie mode'. Does anyone know of any more modern (digital)
    photocameras or camcorders that have this feature? So you can record
    an interesting subject continually (until you run out of battery
    power) and then when something interesting happens, capure everything
    that happened in a specified period before the shutterbutton was
    pressed. This prevents missing the start of an interesting event
    because you've started recording the movie too late. I wish my Canon
    S2 had that feature.

    http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/Q8K/Q8KA.HTM

    Quote from the above URL:

    "To capture moving action, the movie recording mode records up to 10
    second movies in 320 x 240 pixel AVI format. An interesting option
    here is the Past movie mode, which records events that occurred before
    the shutter button was pressed (the camera actually records images to
    a buffer memory and once the shutter button is pressed, copies those
    images to the CompactFlash)."

    Kind regards and thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments,
    Niek

    name, May 22, 2007

  2. name

    Sheldon Guest

    On May 21, 6:09 pm, name <> wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > On an old 1MP Casio camera I have, there is a nice feature that lets
    > you capture a movie in a special
    > 'past movie mode'. Does anyone know of any more modern (digital)
    > photocameras or camcorders that have this feature? So you can record
    > an interesting subject continually (until you run out of battery
    > power) and then when something interesting happens, capure everything
    > that happened in a specified period before the shutterbutton was
    > pressed. This prevents missing the start of an interesting event
    > because you've started recording the movie too late. I wish my Canon
    > S2 had that feature.
    >
    > http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/Q8K/Q8KA.HTM
    >
    > Quote from the above URL:
    >
    > "To capture moving action, the movie recording mode records up to 10
    > second movies in 320 x 240 pixel AVI format. An interesting option
    > here is the Past movie mode, which records events that occurred before
    > the shutter button was pressed (the camera actually records images to
    > a buffer memory and once the shutter button is pressed, copies those
    > images to the CompactFlash)."
    >
    > Kind regards and thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments,
    > Niek

    I am eager to here if any of the Firewire drives have this ability.
    AMAZING possibilities for even videographers with weddings! I know I
    feel like I always am getting the end of the punch line unless I am
    recording..... A buffer for recording would be amazing!

    Sheldon, May 22, 2007

  3. name

    Sheldon Guest

    On May 21, 6:09 pm, name <> wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > On an old 1MP Casio camera I have, there is a nice feature that lets
    > you capture a movie in a special
    > 'past movie mode'. Does anyone know of any more modern (digital)
    > photocameras or camcorders that have this feature? So you can record
    > an interesting subject continually (until you run out of battery
    > power) and then when something interesting happens, capure everything
    > that happened in a specified period before the shutterbutton was
    > pressed. This prevents missing the start of an interesting event
    > because you've started recording the movie too late. I wish my Canon
    > S2 had that feature.
    >
    > http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/Q8K/Q8KA.HTM
    >
    > Quote from the above URL:
    >
    > "To capture moving action, the movie recording mode records up to 10
    > second movies in 320 x 240 pixel AVI format. An interesting option
    > here is the Past movie mode, which records events that occurred before
    > the shutter button was pressed (the camera actually records images to
    > a buffer memory and once the shutter button is pressed, copies those
    > images to the CompactFlash)."
    >
    > Kind regards and thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments,
    > Niek

    I think this device has what you are looking for. Take a look and
    correct me if i'm wrong.
    http://www.focusinfo.com/solutions/catalog.asp?id=3

    Sheldon, May 22, 2007
  4. name

    Sheldon Guest

    On May 21, 6:09 pm, name <> wrote:
    > Hello.
    >
    > On an old 1MP Casio camera I have, there is a nice feature that lets
    > you capture a movie in a special
    > 'past movie mode'. Does anyone know of any more modern (digital)
    > photocameras or camcorders that have this feature? So you can record
    > an interesting subject continually (until you run out of battery
    > power) and then when something interesting happens, capure everything
    > that happened in a specified period before the shutterbutton was
    > pressed. This prevents missing the start of an interesting event
    > because you've started recording the movie too late. I wish my Canon
    > S2 had that feature.
    >
    > http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/Q8K/Q8KA.HTM
    >
    > Quote from the above URL:
    >
    > "To capture moving action, the movie recording mode records up to 10
    > second movies in 320 x 240 pixel AVI format. An interesting option
    > here is the Past movie mode, which records events that occurred before
    > the shutter button was pressed (the camera actually records images to
    > a buffer memory and once the shutter button is pressed, copies those
    > images to the CompactFlash)."
    >
    > Kind regards and thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments,
    > Niek

    in fact, it does have retro recording for up to 10 secs, and
    supposedly more based on the hard drive space. Wish I could afford one!

    Sheldon, May 22, 2007
  5. name

    Garry Knight Guest

    name wrote:

    > On an old 1MP Casio camera I have, there is a nice feature that lets
    > you capture a movie in a special 'past movie mode'. Does anyone know of
    > any more modern (digital) photocameras or camcorders that have this
    > feature?

    Casio Exilim S500
    Casio Exilim S600
    Casio Exilim S770
    Casio Exilim Z750
    Casio Exilim EX-P505

    Found by Googling for "past movie Casio", though I had a head start by
    having read several reviews of some of these cameras.

    --
    Garry Knight

    Garry Knight, May 25, 2007
  6. name

    Ken Maltby Guest

    "name" <> wrote in message

    > Hello.
    >
    > On an old 1MP Casio camera I have, there is a nice feature that lets
    > you capture a movie in a special
    > 'past movie mode'. Does anyone know of any more modern (digital)
    > photocameras or camcorders that have this feature? So you can record
    > an interesting subject continually (until you run out of battery
    > power) and then when something interesting happens, capure everything
    > that happened in a specified period before the shutterbutton was
    > pressed. This prevents missing the start of an interesting event
    > because you've started recording the movie too late. I wish my Canon
    > S2 had that feature.
    >
    > http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/Q8K/Q8KA.HTM
    >
    > Quote from the above URL:
    >
    > "To capture moving action, the movie recording mode records up to 10
    > second movies in 320 x 240 pixel AVI format. An interesting option
    > here is the Past movie mode, which records events that occurred before
    > the shutter button was pressed (the camera actually records images to
    > a buffer memory and once the shutter button is pressed, copies those
    > images to the CompactFlash)."
    >
    > Kind regards and thanks in advance for any suggestions or comments,
    > Niek

    You might want to check out DV Rack 2.0 HD
    http://www.videoguys.com/seriousmagic.html

    before it's only available from Adobe, as an add-on
    to the expensive CS3.

    Adobe appears to be continuing its tradition of buying
    good software and doubling its price with their new name
    applied. Anyone remember Cool Edit Pro?

    Luck;
    Ken

    Ken Maltby, Jun 4, 2007
  7. name

    Allen Guest

    Ken Maltby wrote:

    > Adobe appears to be continuing its tradition of buying
    > good software and doubling its price with their new name
    > applied. Anyone remember Cool Edit Pro?
    >
    > Luck;
    > Ken

    I remember Cool Edit Pro quite well. It was and is a very good product.
    You are right about how Adobe operates, except for one thing: "doubling"
    isn't the right factor; try "tripling" or "quadrupling" and you'll
    closer to the truth.
    Allen

    Allen, Jun 4, 2007
  8. "Allen" wrote ...
    > Ken Maltby wrote:
    >> Adobe appears to be continuing its tradition of buying
    >> good software and doubling its price with their new name
    >> applied. Anyone remember Cool Edit Pro?
    >>
    >> Luck;
    >> Ken

    > I remember Cool Edit Pro quite well. It was and is a very good product.
    > You are right about how Adobe operates, except for one thing: "doubling"
    > isn't the right factor; try "tripling" or "quadrupling" and you'll closer
    > to the truth.

    Cool Edit Pro is the product they re-named and releaed as
    "Adobe Audition 1.0" OTOH, it was Cool Edit 2000 (CE2K)
    that was the very modestly-priced 2-track version. They just
    killed that product altogether and there has never been an
    equivalent price/performance product in that niche. It would
    have been trivial (and profitable) for them to rename CE2K
    as "Audition Elements" and continue the <$100 price-point.
    But even though I own the full-blown production bundle, I'll
    have to agree about Adobe's greedy practices. I was a very
    satisfied customer of Syntrillium's CE2K and CEP products
    before they sold-out to Adobe.

    Richard Crowley, Jun 4, 2007