    I have a start up password on xp. When you turn on the machine, you must
    enter a password. Can this be by-passed? How can I increase security. Thank
    you.

    Nowhere, Feb 6, 2006

  2. Nowhere

    Vaxius Guest

    On Mon, 06 Feb 2006 07:04:57 +0000, Nowhere wrote:

    > I have a start up password on xp. When you turn on the machine, you must
    > enter a password. Can this be by-passed? How can I increase security. Thank
    > you.

    Well, for one thing bypassing the login password would definitely not help
    with security.

    Vaxius, Feb 6, 2006

  3. Nowhere

    Guest

    With physical access to a machine, it is easy to bypass passwords. This
    is true for XP and UNIX/Linux. To increase security, restrict physical
    access to the machines.

    Kind regards
    Ludovic Joly

    , Feb 6, 2006
  4. Nowhere

    Gerard Bok Guest

    On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 07:04:57 -0000, "Nowhere"
    <> wrote:

    >I have a start up password on xp. When you turn on the machine, you must
    >enter a password. Can this be by-passed? How can I increase security. Thank
    >you.

    If your PC supports it: bios password. And make sure that your
    bios uses ATA password protection.
    On the other side of things, you should be very carefull to make
    adequate backups :)

    --
    Kind regards,
    Gerard Bok

    Gerard Bok, Feb 6, 2006
  5. Nowhere

    Guest

    Gerard Bok wrote:
    > On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 07:04:57 -0000, "Nowhere"
    > <> wrote:
    > >I have a start up password on xp. When you turn on the machine, you must
    > >enter a password. Can this be by-passed? How can I increase security. Thank
    > >you.

    > If your PC supports it: bios password. And make sure that your
    > bios uses ATA password protection.
    > On the other side of things, you should be very carefull to make
    > adequate backups :)
    > --
    > Kind regards,
    > Gerard Bok

    Maybe you fund something with google an this words:

    autoadminlogon registry
    or
    automatic user logon

    I wrote an article, but it is in german:
    http://www.holy-infos.de/de/page/artikel/auto_benutzer_anmdg.htm

    , Feb 6, 2006
  6. Nowhere

    Gerard Bok Guest

    On 6 Feb 2006 07:02:59 -0800, ""
    <> wrote:

    >Gerard Bok wrote:
    >> On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 07:04:57 -0000, "Nowhere"
    >> <> wrote:
    >> >I have a start up password on xp. When you turn on the machine, you must
    >> >enter a password. Can this be by-passed? How can I increase security. Thank
    >> >you.

    >> If your PC supports it: bios password. And make sure that your
    >> bios uses ATA password protection.
    >> On the other side of things, you should be very carefull to make
    >> adequate backups :)

    >Maybe you fund something with google an this words:
    >
    >autoadminlogon registry
    >or
    >automatic user logon
    >
    >I wrote an article, but it is in german:
    >http://www.holy-infos.de/de/page/artikel/auto_benutzer_anmdg.htm

    I read the original message as
    - How safe is XP's native password security and
    - How can I improve on that ?
    :)

    --
    Kind regards,
    Gerard Bok

    Gerard Bok, Feb 6, 2006
  7. Nowhere

    Guest

    Gerard Bok wrote:
    > On Mon, 6 Feb 2006 07:04:57 -0000, "Nowhere"
    > <> wrote:
    > >I have a start up password on xp. When you turn on the machine, you must
    > >enter a password. Can this be by-passed? How can I increase security. Thank
    > >you.

    > If your PC supports it: bios password. And make sure that your
    > bios uses ATA password protection.
    > On the other side of things, you should be very carefull to make
    > adequate backups :)
    > --
    > Kind regards,
    > Gerard Bok

    Maybe you fund something with google an this words:

    autoadminlogon registry
    or
    automatic user logon

    I wrote an article, but it is in german:
    http://www.holy-infos.de/de/page/artikel/auto_benutzer_anmdg.htm

    , Feb 6, 2006
  8. You may want to look into a program like Drive Crypt or one of the free
    disk encryption utilities out there, you can by-pass your bios or
    windows passwords easily enough if you want, but you still need some
    type of protection if you keep important data on your computer.

    * www.privacyoffshore.net (No Logs Internet Surfing)
    * Anonymous Secure Offshore SSH-2 Surfing Tunnels
    * Anonymous Mail & News through SSH-2 Tunnels
    * Free Resources and Privacy Software

    (admins) privacyoffshore, Feb 7, 2006