    Herb Guest

    What file are the passwords kept in under the user profile?

    Thanx, Herb

    Herb, Jan 30, 2005

  2. Herb

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Herb wrote:

    > What file are the passwords kept in under the user profile?
    >
    > Thanx, Herb

    signons.txt unless you imported a profile from another app like the
    Mozilla Suite or Netscape. Then it may be [random].s

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jan 30, 2005

  3. Herb

    Herb Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:

    > Herb wrote:
    >
    >> What file are the passwords kept in under the user profile?
    >>
    >> Thanx, Herb

    > signons.txt unless you imported a profile from another app like the
    > Mozilla Suite or Netscape. Then it may be [random].s

    Thanx, Copied "signons.txt" from current user to new user's profile.
    Sites with registration and/or PWs automatically recognize me (they say
    "welcome herbwx") but when I use .Tools >Options > View Saved
    Passwords ,the window is blank.

    --

    Herb

    Herb, Jan 30, 2005
  4. Herb

    Z Guest

    Herb wrote:
    >> signons.txt unless you imported a profile from another app like the
    >> Mozilla Suite or Netscape. Then it may be [random].s

    > Thanx, Copied "signons.txt" from current user to new user's profile.
    > Sites with registration and/or PWs automatically recognize me (they say
    > "welcome herbwx")

    Unless you entered user/pass, they recognize you because of cookies.

    Z, Jan 30, 2005
  5. Herb

    Herb Guest

    Z wrote:

    > Herb wrote:
    >
    >>> signons.txt unless you imported a profile from another app like the
    >>> Mozilla Suite or Netscape. Then it may be [random].s

    >> Thanx, Copied "signons.txt" from current user to new user's profile.
    >> Sites with registration and/or PWs automatically recognize me (they
    >> say "welcome herbwx")

    > Unless you entered user/pass, they recognize you because of cookies.

    But under the new profile, I can't see what the PWs are. If I delete the
    cookies, then next time the page won't recognize me and I may not recall
    a PW -- and I don't see the PW list any longer.

    --
    Herb

    Herb, Jan 30, 2005
  6. Herb wrote:
    > Z wrote:

    >>> Thanx, Copied "signons.txt" from current user to new user's profile.
    >>> Sites with registration and/or PWs automatically recognize me (they
    >>> say "welcome herbwx")

    >> Unless you entered user/pass, they recognize you because of cookies.
    >>

    > But under the new profile, I can't see what the PWs are. If I delete the
    > cookies, then next time the page won't recognize me and I may not recall
    > a PW -- and I don't see the PW list any longer.

    Remove the signons.txt. Open FF and save a couple of passwords. This
    will generate a new signons.txt, and write a reference in prefs.js.
    Paste back in the signons,txt you removed, allowing it to overwrite the
    signons.txt that was just generated. Open FF and you should see your
    passwords.

    Lee

    Leonidas Jones, Jan 31, 2005
  7. Herb

    Z Guest

    Herb wrote:
    >>> Thanx, Copied "signons.txt" from current user to new user's profile.
    >>> Sites with registration and/or PWs automatically recognize me (they
    >>> say "welcome herbwx")

    >> Unless you entered user/pass, they recognize you because of cookies.

    > But under the new profile, I can't see what the PWs are. If I delete the
    > cookies, then next time the page won't recognize me and I may not recall
    > a PW -- and I don't see the PW list any longer.

    My point is that signons.txt isn't why the web sites recognize you.

    They recognize you because you still have cookies from them in your
    cookie folder.

    Z, Jan 31, 2005
  8. Herb

    Herb Guest

    Leonidas Jones wrote:

    > Herb wrote:
    >
    >> Z wrote:

    >>> Unless you entered user/pass, they recognize you because of cookies.
    >>>

    >> But under the new profile, I can't see what the PWs are. If I delete
    >> the cookies, then next time the page won't recognize me and I may not
    >> recall a PW -- and I don't see the PW list any longer.
    >>

    > Remove the signons.txt. Open FF and save a couple of passwords. This
    > will generate a new signons.txt, and write a reference in prefs.js.
    > Paste back in the signons,txt you removed, allowing it to overwrite
    > the signons.txt that was just generated. Open FF and you should see
    > your passwords.
    >
    > Lee

    *
    Didn't work :-(
    When I copied the original ''signons'' file into the new
    user's**''signons''** file (with a few PWs already put in), the result
    was again a blank list of PWs.*

    Herb, Jan 31, 2005