    that a friend of mine will be using my laptop for internet, etc, and I just
    want some privacy.

    Any ideas regarding freeware/shareware programs that can help? Thanks.
    Kublai Khan, Aug 28, 2004

  2. Kublai Khan

    Robert Guest

    Kublai Khan wrote:

    > Hi, I am sorry if this is OT but here goes.
    >
    > What I want to do with Win ME is to have a system so when certain
    > applications like Outlook Express, Windows Explorer, etc, are started, a
    > box
    > will appear and ask for a password to be entered. I suspect a third party
    > software is needed, since I cannot see any options to do this in OE and
    > Explorer.
    >
    > I do not want to have to set-up accounts for each person. The basic idea
    > is that a friend of mine will be using my laptop for internet, etc, and I
    > just want some privacy.
    >
    > Any ideas regarding freeware/shareware programs that can help? Thanks.

    If it's just one other person using the laptop besides you setting up a new
    profile would be the cheapest and easiest solution. Why go through the
    trouble of installing more software and configuring every little program
    that you want protected?
    --
    There are 10 kinds of people in the world.
    Those that understand binary and those that don't.
    Robert, Aug 28, 2004

  3. Kublai Khan

    °Mike° Guest

    If you want privacy, switch to an NT based system,
    or simply don't lend your laptop to friends.

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 15:21:22 +0100, in
    <cgq4es$p7q$>
    Kublai Khan scrawled:

    >Hi, I am sorry if this is OT but here goes.
    >
    >What I want to do with Win ME is to have a system so when certain
    >applications like Outlook Express, Windows Explorer, etc, are started, a box
    >will appear and ask for a password to be entered. I suspect a third party
    >software is needed, since I cannot see any options to do this in OE and
    >Explorer.
    >
    >I do not want to have to set-up accounts for each person. The basic idea is
    >that a friend of mine will be using my laptop for internet, etc, and I just
    >want some privacy.
    >
    >Any ideas regarding freeware/shareware programs that can help? Thanks.

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Aug 28, 2004
  4. Kublai Khan wrote:

    > Hi, I am sorry if this is OT but here goes.
    >
    > What I want to do with Win ME is to have a system so when certain
    > applications like Outlook Express, Windows Explorer, etc, are started, a
    > box
    > will appear and ask for a password to be entered. I suspect a third party
    > software is needed, since I cannot see any options to do this in OE and
    > Explorer.

    WinME uses FAT32, isn't it? Even if a password dialog might pop up, it would
    be completely useless. You need something like pgp desktop to encrypt a
    whole folder. There are lots of programs to achieve this, but not much
    freeware.
    Or use linux and the cryptoloop.

    > I do not want to have to set-up accounts for each person. The basic idea
    > is that a friend of mine will be using my laptop for internet, etc, and I
    > just want some privacy.

    At least XP and ntfs and your friend setup as a non-admin account. Together
    with fast user switching, you need nothing else (but a new laptop to run
    that XP). Or run linux :).

    > Any ideas regarding freeware/shareware programs that can help? Thanks.

    Linux. Includes everything you desire, if you just take the effort to
    configure.
    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.8reiser4pkt [LinuxCounter#295241]
    Walter Mautner, Aug 28, 2004
  5. Kublai Khan

    gangle7 Guest

    i dont want privicy i dont have a lap top
    i dont noe wut the fuk a nt is i dont have
    frends thank in advanse

    "°Mike°" wrote
    gangle7, Aug 28, 2004
  6. Kublai Khan

    John Holmes Guest

    gangle7 came up with this:

    > i dont want privicy i dont have a lap top
    > i dont noe wut the fuk a nt is i dont have
    > frends thank in advanse
    >
    > "°Mike°" wrote
    >> If you want privacy, switch to an NT based system,
    >> or simply don't lend your laptop to friends.

    You always manage to keep your neck above water. We can tell by the color
    of it.

    --
    -John Holmes-

    "It ain't much, if it ain't Dutch..."
    John Holmes, Aug 28, 2004
  7. Kublai Khan

    °Mike° Guest

    This won't cure your problems, but it will taste nice:
    http://www.djurvall.burken.nu/Harrys_0413/004 - Penis pasta.jpg

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 08:22:11 -0700, in
    <>
    gangle7 scrawled:

    °Mike°, Aug 28, 2004
  8. Kublai Khan

    DennisC Guest

    "Kublai Khan" <> wrote in message
    > Hi, I am sorry if this is OT but here goes.
    >
    > What I want to do with Win ME is to have a system so when certain
    > applications like Outlook Express, Windows Explorer, etc, are started, a

    box
    > will appear and ask for a password to be entered. I suspect a third party
    > software is needed, since I cannot see any options to do this in OE and
    > Explorer.
    >
    > I do not want to have to set-up accounts for each person. The basic idea

    is
    > that a friend of mine will be using my laptop for internet, etc, and I

    just
    > want some privacy.
    >
    > Any ideas regarding freeware/shareware programs that can help? Thanks.

    Hello,
    There is absolutely no security built into Windows98/ME.
    You may find a third party software that will encrypt files
    and folders however, I know of nothing that will password
    protect programs. By the time you research and install various
    programs you may still become disappointed.
    Installing an upgrade to Windows XP is not recommended on
    older laptop computers. The driver database usually does not
    support video, modems, etc.
    I have found that Windows 2000 Professional will install on
    older laptop computers, however expect some difficulty with
    drivers.
    Therefore the recommended solution is to purchase a new
    laptop computer with Windows XP pre-installed. You can
    then create a user account(s) for other users with the appropriate
    restrictions.
    DennisC
    DennisC, Aug 28, 2004
  9. Kublai Khan

    Kublai Khan Guest

    "DennisC" <> wrote in message

    > "Kublai Khan" <> wrote in message
    > > Hi, I am sorry if this is OT but here goes.
    > >
    > > What I want to do with Win ME is to have a system so when certain
    > > applications like Outlook Express, Windows Explorer, etc, are started, a

    > box
    > > will appear and ask for a password to be entered. I suspect a third

    party
    > > software is needed, since I cannot see any options to do this in OE and
    > > Explorer.
    > >
    > > I do not want to have to set-up accounts for each person. The basic

    idea
    > is
    > > that a friend of mine will be using my laptop for internet, etc, and I

    > just
    > > want some privacy.
    > >
    > > Any ideas regarding freeware/shareware programs that can help? Thanks.

    > Hello,
    > There is absolutely no security built into Windows98/ME.
    > You may find a third party software that will encrypt files
    > and folders however, I know of nothing that will password
    > protect programs. By the time you research and install various
    > programs you may still become disappointed.
    > Installing an upgrade to Windows XP is not recommended on
    > older laptop computers. The driver database usually does not
    > support video, modems, etc.
    > I have found that Windows 2000 Professional will install on
    > older laptop computers, however expect some difficulty with
    > drivers.
    > Therefore the recommended solution is to purchase a new
    > laptop computer with Windows XP pre-installed. You can
    > then create a user account(s) for other users with the appropriate
    > restrictions.
    > DennisC

    I find it extremely hard to believe that there is no software out there that
    can password protect individual Win ME programs.

    All I want is a dialog box to pop up and insist I enter a password. Just
    like when passwording a screen saver.

    I don't care about it being great security; all it needs to have is this
    basic password component!

    Thanks all.
    Kublai Khan, Aug 28, 2004
  10. Kublai Khan wrote:

    > I find it extremely hard to believe that there is no software out there
    > that can password protect individual Win ME programs.

    You or a malicious/curious/interested/needy person can start programs in
    many ways, not just doubleclick on a icon somewhere. And that person can
    install alternative programs, hacker tools or whatever necessary to access
    the data of the programs you wanted to protect.

    > All I want is a dialog box to pop up and insist I enter a password. Just
    > like when passwording a screen saver.

    You know it's useless. Even a 9yr old child will soon find a way around
    that.

    > I don't care about it being great security; all it needs to have is this
    > basic password component!

    You cannot protect The Innocent(tm), your children or whomever by such a
    lame method. What you intend to do is fool yourself and escape from duty
    (to teach/watch your children, as an example) and responsibility.

    Linux woodpecker.homnet.at 2.6.8reiser4pkt [LinuxCounter#295241]
    Walter Mautner, Aug 28, 2004
  11. Kublai Khan

    xmp Guest

    DennisC wrote:

    >>will appear and ask for a password to be entered. I suspect a third party
    >>software is needed, since I cannot see any options to do this in OE and
    >>Explorer.

    I've seen a program like that. I'm not sure how it enforces security.
    It may bind to the executable somehow.

    As someone mentioned, you may be better off with XP. Or linux.

    michael
    xmp, Aug 29, 2004
  12. Kublai Khan

    xmp Guest

    Kublai Khan wrote:

    > I find it extremely hard to believe that there is no software out there that
    > can password protect individual Win ME programs.
    >
    > All I want is a dialog box to pop up and insist I enter a password. Just
    > like when passwording a screen saver.
    >
    > I don't care about it being great security; all it needs to have is this
    > basic password component!
    >
    > Thanks all.

    Try a search for password protecting windows executables. PrivateEXE or
    Super ExeLock may work. Then use options like
    "link:www.fatfreesoft.com" on Google to find lists of such programs.

    I'd back up programs on CDR, because these programs appear to bind to
    the executable itself. This is a way to enforce security without adding
    access control lists to the operating system.

    However, XP Professional has better access control than linux or 98.

    michael
    xmp, Aug 29, 2004
  13. Kublai Khan

    Pennywise Guest

    On Sat, 28 Aug 2004 20:03:02 +0100, "Kublai Khan" <>
    wrote:

    |>I find it extremely hard to believe that there is no software out there that
    |>can password protect individual Win ME programs.
    |>
    |>All I want is a dialog box to pop up and insist I enter a password. Just
    |>like when passwording a screen saver.
    |>
    |>I don't care about it being great security; all it needs to have is this
    |>basic password component!

    There is a different approach you might look at, It's called Red hand.
    It would be a one way thing, your friend couldn't look at your stuff
    but you can theirs.

    Grab an old one http://tinyurl.com/58995 - the newer one's have turned
    into an advanced key logger.

    The feature you'd be interested in is:
    * Unlimited amount of "window lock" words.*

    In other words if you block the word outlook no window can open that
    has outlook listed as it's tittle. I've used it under 98se and it's a
    great security program.

    Download the files; read the readme.txt and see if it could work for
    you.
    Pennywise, Aug 29, 2004