    i cancel it starts to boot up which is what i don't want it to do without a
    password first.
    Many Thanks
    simon, Jan 18, 2004

  2. simon

    Rifleman Guest

    "simon" <> wrote in message
    news:u2BOb.6415$...
    > When i installed win98se i didn't put a password in at start-up,is it
    > possible to put one in now?if so how do i do it?
    > I did try going to passwords in control panel,i put one in but on boot up

    if
    > i cancel it starts to boot up which is what i don't want it to do without

    > password first.
    > Many Thanks

    The only way you can do this with Windows 98 is to put a BIOS password on -
    the W98 passwords aren't worth an asterisk......
    Rifleman, Jan 18, 2004

  3. simon

    °Mike° Guest

    That's how Windows 98 works -- it's simple to cancel the
    password prompt, and end up in the all-users desktop.
    Try putting a password in the BIOS, but don't forget it!

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 19:22:54 -0000, in
    <u2BOb.6415$>
    simon scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jan 18, 2004
  4. simon

    Jane Slee Guest

    "simon" <> wrote in message
    > i cancel it starts to boot up which is what i don't want it >to do without

    > password first.

    Password protection in Windows 98 is a joke.
    You can bypass it by hitting "Cancel", as you have found out.

    Gareth
    Jane Slee, Jan 18, 2004
  5. simon

    simon Guest

    Thanks for that i'll give it a try and see what happens.

    simon, Jan 18, 2004
  6. simon

    °Mike° Guest

    You're welcome.

    On Sun, 18 Jan 2004 19:35:34 -0000, in
    <meBOb.6424$>
    simon scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, Jan 18, 2004
  7. simon

    Unk Guest

    One of these should be of help...
    http://www.pc-shareware.com/sentry.htm
    http://www.dougknox.com/security/validated.htm

    Unk, Jan 18, 2004
  8. go to control panel then change the login from microsoft family login to
    network login it will ask you for a password
    alot easier than dicking with the bios

    NorthernPirate, Jan 19, 2004
  9. simon

    Rifleman Guest

    "NorthernPirate" <NorthernPirate@hot*mail.com> wrote in message
    > go to control panel then change the login from microsoft family login to
    > network login it will ask you for a password
    > alot easier than dicking with the bios

    But you can STILL bypass that in windows 98 by hitting "cancel"!
    Rifleman, Jan 19, 2004