    Please advice and discuss.

    Thanks,
    Raymond
    Raymond, May 30, 2006

  2. Raymond

    Imhotep Guest

    Raymond wrote:

    > In an application authentication, it is very common to see many
    > applications use username/password combination for authentication
    > access. However, some applications use username/pin combination as
    > well. My question is in what scenarios we should use username/password,
    > and in what scenarios we should use username/pin when we design the
    > authentication method? My observation is that pin usually is numeric
    > only, but password can contain both letters and numbers.
    >
    > Please advice and discuss.
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Raymond

    ....it depends on what the pin is. Sometimes a pin is a keyfob etc...in this
    case the pin changes everytime it is used for changed based on time. These
    are very secure...especially if they are not tied to a computer (keyfob)...

    Imhotep
    Imhotep, May 30, 2006

  3. Raymond

    Unruh Guest

    "Raymond" <> writes:

    >In an application authentication, it is very common to see many
    >applications use username/password combination for authentication
    >access. However, some applications use username/pin combination as
    >well. My question is in what scenarios we should use username/password,
    >and in what scenarios we should use username/pin when we design the
    >authentication method? My observation is that pin usually is numeric
    >only, but password can contain both letters and numbers.

    A pin (Personal Identification Number) is just a short numeric password.

    Unruh, May 30, 2006