    program is opened.

    This newsgroup is not very active. Where are most of the Thunderbird
    discussions?
    mcp6453, Jul 22, 2006

  2. mcp6453 wrote:
    > Is there a way to set Thunderbird such that it requires a password to
    > open? Just having a password on the email accounts is insufficient
    > because there are messages that have already been downloaded when the
    > program is opened.
    >
    > This newsgroup is not very active. Where are most of the Thunderbird
    > discussions?

    Yep, built in.
    [Tools-->Options]-->Privacy [Passwords]
    <Set Master Password>

    Now, when Thunderbird accesses any of the passwords stored in it, it
    requires the Master Password (once per session), so if you noramally
    start Thunderbird and have it check mail, the first thing Thunderbird
    will do is ask for the Master Password

    Most Thunderbird discussions are over on the dedicated news server

    news.mozilla.org
    mozilla.support.thunderbird
    mozilla.support.general
    also group for firefox, seaMonkey, Mozilla suite as well
    Mozilla Champion (Dan), Jul 22, 2006

  3. mcp6453

    gwtc Guest

    mcp6453 wrote:

    > This newsgroup is not very active. Where are most of the Thunderbird
    > discussions?

    Here's a list of where most of the action is:

    MOZILLA: The Mozilla Suite (Thunderbird and Firefox users, please
    subscribe to their respective groups!)

    The SEAMONKEY project (suite continuation)

    FIREFOX: "Browser only" application.

    THUNDERBIRD: "eMail only" application.

    All other products

    Other Groups of Interest:

    FOR TESTING THINGS:
    To test anything on your eMailer or Browser (HTML stuff, graphics etc)
    use these Test groups

    Only group which allows non-plaintext posting
    news://news.mozilla.org/mozilla.test.multimedia -- this one is on the
    slow side plus its moderated
    snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.test.multimedia -- real fast
    and not moderated

    NETSCAPE 8: (this is a BROWSER ONLY application - no eMail/News)
    snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.netscape8.windows

    NETSCAPE 7: NS 7.0 - 7.2 or Net 7.0 - 7.2
    snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.netscape7.windows
    snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.netscape7.macintosh
    snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.netscape7.unix

    NETSCAPE 6:
    snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.netscape6.windows
    snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.netscape6.macintosh
    snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.netscape6.unix

    Netscape Communicator: (the NG for Netscape 4.** users)
    snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.communicator
    snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.communicator.mac
    snews://secnews.netscape.com:563/netscape.communicator.unix

    --
    So, You Think You Know Everything?

    Did you know that Almonds are a member of the peach family.
    gwtc, Jul 22, 2006
  4. mcp6453

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > mcp6453 wrote:
    >> Is there a way to set Thunderbird such that it requires a password to
    >> open? Just having a password on the email accounts is insufficient
    >> because there are messages that have already been downloaded when the
    >> program is opened.
    >>
    >> This newsgroup is not very active. Where are most of the Thunderbird
    >> discussions?

    > Yep, built in.
    > [Tools-->Options]-->Privacy [Passwords]
    > <Set Master Password>
    >
    > Now, when Thunderbird accesses any of the passwords stored in it, it
    > requires the Master Password (once per session), so if you noramally
    > start Thunderbird and have it check mail, the first thing Thunderbird
    > will do is ask for the Master Password

    I'm pretty sure the OP wants a password to be required in order to even
    OPEN Thunderbird; to prevent an unauthorized user from ever being able
    to get into the program, not just prevent access to the mail accounts
    and receiving new mail. I thought the Master Password only comes into
    play once TB is running, yes?

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Jul 22, 2006
  5. mcp6453

    deanhansen Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> mcp6453 wrote:
    >>> Is there a way to set Thunderbird such that it requires a password to
    >>> open? Just having a password on the email accounts is insufficient
    >>> because there are messages that have already been downloaded when the
    >>> program is opened.
    >>>
    >>> This newsgroup is not very active. Where are most of the Thunderbird
    >>> discussions?

    >> Yep, built in.
    >> [Tools-->Options]-->Privacy [Passwords]
    >> <Set Master Password>
    >>
    >> Now, when Thunderbird accesses any of the passwords stored in it, it
    >> requires the Master Password (once per session), so if you noramally
    >> start Thunderbird and have it check mail, the first thing Thunderbird
    >> will do is ask for the Master Password
    >>

    > I'm pretty sure the OP wants a password to be required in order to even
    > OPEN Thunderbird; to prevent an unauthorized user from ever being able
    > to get into the program, not just prevent access to the mail accounts
    > and receiving new mail. I thought the Master Password only comes into
    > play once TB is running, yes?

    I use an extension called ProfilePassword 0.7.3, it sets up a password
    for your profile. As the author says, this offers only a small degree of
    protection, but it's enough for my requirements.

    http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=1801
    -----------------
    -----------------
    deanhansen, Jul 22, 2006
  6. mcp6453

    Ed Mullen Guest

    deanhansen wrote:
    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >> Mozilla Champion (Dan) wrote:

    >>> Yep, built in.
    >>> [Tools-->Options]-->Privacy [Passwords]
    >>> <Set Master Password>
    >>>
    >>> Now, when Thunderbird accesses any of the passwords stored in it, it
    >>> requires the Master Password (once per session), so if you noramally
    >>> start Thunderbird and have it check mail, the first thing Thunderbird
    >>> will do is ask for the Master Password
    >>>

    >> I'm pretty sure the OP wants a password to be required in order to
    >> even OPEN Thunderbird; to prevent an unauthorized user from ever being
    >> able to get into the program, not just prevent access to the mail
    >> accounts and receiving new mail. I thought the Master Password only
    >> comes into play once TB is running, yes?
    >>

    > I use an extension called ProfilePassword 0.7.3, it sets up a password
    > for your profile. As the author says, this offers only a small degree of
    > protection, but it's enough for my requirements.
    >
    > http://www.extensionsmirror.nl/index.php?showtopic=1801
    > www.Newsgroup-Binaries.com - *Completion*Retention*Speed*
    > Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road

    It looks like the OP is using Windows XP. He could set up security on
    his Windows user account and deal with it that way.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    Ed Mullen, Jul 22, 2006