    you have to do it for each individual file and it causes all sorts of
    problems. I would love to be able to just give the flash drive a good
    password and be done with it.

    itsme, Sep 6, 2004

  2. itsme

    Brian Guest

    itsme wrote:

    > I have a lexar usb flash drive. I love it. But is there anyway to password
    > protect the data on this thing? I tried the encryption in windows xp, but
    > you have to do it for each individual file and it causes all sorts of
    > problems. I would love to be able to just give the flash drive a good
    > password and be done with it.

    From what I understand you have to get one with some kind of built-in
    security software. I have the JumpDrive Traveler on this site
    (http://www.lexar.com/jumpdrive/index.html), but the JumpDrive Secure is
    supposed to be able to do what you're talking about. (I just ordered one
    of those last night--got a bargain for $66! So I'll find out what the deal
    is with that one soon.)

    Brian, Sep 7, 2004

  3. What about just zipping them up and adding a password?
    Or maybe get PGP Disk/BestCrypt or similar and create a container.
    I use Bestcrypt containers for my personal docs as me PC is on the net 24/7 and
    don't really want anyone stealing me personal stuff.

    Use.Netuser.de, Sep 7, 2004
  4. itsme

    andy smart Guest

    andy smart, Sep 7, 2004
  5. itsme

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Tue, 7 Sep 2004 09:27:11 +0100, "Use.Netuser.de"
    <> wrote:

    >What about just zipping them up and adding a password?

    The inbuilt security of PKzip'ed files is not particularly robust.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com

    Jim Watt, Sep 7, 2004