Password Recovery for Wireless

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by Purpledawn, Oct 17, 2009.

  1. Purpledawn

    Purpledawn Guest

    Couple of weeks I had a technician install a wireless connection of my 2
    computers.
    Couple of days ago I purchased a Wii and could not find my wifi connection.
    Trying to do it manual I was asked for the password. - have none he did not
    tell me.
    and I have no idea where to look for it.

    Did a websearch and found an entry to the above subject. It says in order to
    recover your password
    on the linksys wireless router, push the reset button in the back and hold
    for 7 seconds. Password and
    Username will revert back to Admin

    Just want to check with you all for advice, before I push the button.
    BTW = called technician, he does not know what password he used, but told me
    he hid the connection
    and made it secure so no one can access/find it. (I guess that is including
    me)
    thanks for any help you can offer. Would love to connect my Wii to the
    internet.
    Monika

    Purpledawn, Oct 17, 2009

  2. Purpledawn

    Mike Easter Guest

    Purpledawn wrote:
    > Couple of weeks I had a technician install a wireless connection of my

    2
    > computers.

    Do you mean like the kind of professional technician which is supposed
    to provide you with a report of their work including any passwords
    introduced? That kind of technician?

    > Couple of days ago I purchased a Wii and could not find my wifi
    > connection. Trying to do it manual I was asked for the password. -

    have
    > none he did not tell me.

    ....meaning you get to do your own reconfiguration which you paid someone
    else to do, or you should insist that the preceding alleged technician
    provide you with the information at no additional cost, or you should
    reconfigure both router and 2 computer passwords on general security
    principles.

    > and I have no idea where to look for it.

    Even if you looked at the html page in the router, it would be hard to
    see. There are tools which purpose is to see the asterisked passwords.

    > Did a websearch and found an entry to the above subject. It says in
    > order to recover your password
    > on the linksys wireless router, push the reset button in the back and
    > hold for 7 seconds. Password and
    > Username will revert back to Admin

    You certainly do wrap your paragraphs strangely. You must be using your
    'enter' key to wrap your lines. You should instead allow your
    newsreader editor to do the wrapping for you.

    That will reset everything to the defaults. That isn't necessarily the
    best move to accomplish your objective. You might actually like to keep
    other parts of the linksys configuration and simply learn the wireless
    password and keep it or change it. Resetting to the defaults is going
    to require more work on your part which is what you paid a technician to
    do in the first place.

    > Just want to check with you all for advice, before I push the button.
    > BTW = called technician, he does not know what password he used,

    That is totally stupid.

    > but
    > told me he hid the connection
    > and made it secure so no one can access/find it. (I guess that is
    > including me)

    That is totally bullsh*t

    > thanks for any help you can offer. Would love to connect my Wii to the
    > internet.

    I guess you are now going to learn how to configure your own router and
    comptuters. Does this mean that the technician gives you a refund on
    whatever he did.

    Which linksys router modelno are we talking about?

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 17, 2009

  3. Above the wailing & moaning of the trolls,The Old Sourdough was heard
    to say:

    > Purpledawn mumbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >> Couple of weeks I had a technician install a wireless connection of my 2
    >> computers.
    >> Couple of days ago I purchased a Wii and could not find my wifi connection.
    >> Trying to do it manual I was asked for the password. - have none he did not
    >> tell me.
    >> and I have no idea where to look for it.

    >> Did a websearch and found an entry to the above subject. It says in order to
    >> recover your password
    >> on the linksys wireless router, push the reset button in the back and hold
    >> for 7 seconds. Password and
    >> Username will revert back to Admin

    >> Just want to check with you all for advice, before I push the button.
    >> BTW = called technician, he does not know what password he used, but told me
    >> he hid the connection
    >> and made it secure so no one can access/find it. (I guess that is including
    >> me)
    >> thanks for any help you can offer. Would love to connect my Wii to the
    >> internet.
    >> Monika

    > Go ahead and reset your router, set your own username and password,
    > and never call that so-called "technician" again. If you have troubles
    > setting up things again, call upon a 12 year old neighbor kid and
    > give him !0 bucks to fix things for you.

    Yeah, that'd do it.

    BTW, got something for you...& naturally, it's to do with...B-E-E-R!

    http://web.mac.com/pconley3/Site/Balloon_Fiesta.html#23

    --
    Linux. The Malicious Software Removal
    tool which wipes Windows from your PC in

    William Poaster, Oct 17, 2009
  4. Purpledawn

    Mike Easter Guest

    Mike Easter wrote:
    > Purpledawn wrote:

    >> BTW = called technician, he does not know what password he used,

    > That is totally stupid.

    > Which linksys router modelno are we talking about?

    It is possible that your stupid tech didn't do anything with the
    user/pass, in which case it is possible that the linksys user is still
    the default and should be left blank and the pass should be admin.

    That is, that you currently have the same kind of problem you will have
    after you reset.

    It is further possible that there isn't any wifi WPA (or WEP) setup in
    the router since there wasn't any operational at the time of install, so
    you can configure the wpa pass in the router and your wifi yourself.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 17, 2009
  5. Purpledawn

    Mike Easter Guest

    Purpledawn wrote:

    > Couple of weeks I had a technician install a wireless connection of my 2
    > computers. Couple of days ago I purchased a Wii and could not find my
    > wifi connection. Trying to do it manual I was asked for the password. -
    > have none he did not tell me. and I have no idea where to look for it.
    >
    > Did a websearch and found an entry to the above subject. It says in
    > order to recover your password on the linksys wireless router, push the
    > reset button in the back and hold for 7 seconds. Password and Username
    > will revert back to Admin
    >
    > Just want to check with you all for advice, before I push the button.
    > BTW = called technician, he does not know what password he used, but
    > told me he hid the connection and made it secure so no one can
    > access/find it. (I guess that is including me) thanks for any help you
    > can offer. Would love to connect my Wii to the internet.

    There, I fixed the line wrapping problem.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 17, 2009
  6. Purpledawn

    Purpledawn Guest

    "Purpledawn" <> wrote in message
    > Couple of weeks I had a technician install a wireless connection of my 2
    > computers.
    > Couple of days ago I purchased a Wii and could not find my wifi
    > connection.
    > Trying to do it manual I was asked for the password. - have none he did
    > not tell me.
    > and I have no idea where to look for it.
    >
    > Did a websearch and found an entry to the above subject. It says in order
    > to recover your password
    > on the linksys wireless router, push the reset button in the back and hold
    > for 7 seconds. Password and
    > Username will revert back to Admin
    >
    > Just want to check with you all for advice, before I push the button.
    > BTW = called technician, he does not know what password he used, but told
    > me he hid the connection
    > and made it secure so no one can access/find it. (I guess that is
    > including me)
    > thanks for any help you can offer. Would love to connect my Wii to the
    > internet.
    > Monika

    Thank you all for your answers and advice. Will do the reset button tonight.
    Mike Easter wanted to know what kind of wireless router I am using. Its
    called Linksys by Cisco, dual-ban, wireless-n Gigabit Router - Modelnumber
    WRT320N. As to my uneven spaced paragraphs, that was my fault cause I hit
    the enter key to start a new line. Sorry, still learning. Not all of are
    "experts" and it was my impression that`s why this newsgroup exists - to
    help us newbies.
    Will let you know how it goes by tomorrow.
    Monika

    Purpledawn, Oct 17, 2009
  7. Purpledawn

    Mike Easter Guest

    Purpledawn wrote:

    > Thank you all for your answers and advice. Will do the reset button
    > tonight. Mike Easter wanted to know what kind of wireless router I am
    > using. Its called Linksys by Cisco, dual-ban, wireless-n Gigabit

    Router
    > - Modelnumber WRT320N.

    The default condition is that it only asks for a password for which the
    default is 'admin' without the quotes. Try that first before you reset,
    because after you reset it will still be the same.

    Then change the pw to something personal and secure.

    > As to my uneven spaced paragraphs, that was my
    > fault cause I hit the enter key to start a new line. Sorry, still
    > learning.

    Things are looking better.

    --
    Mike Easter

    Mike Easter, Oct 17, 2009
  8. Above the wailing & moaning of the trolls,The Old Sourdough was heard
    to say:

    > William Poaster mumbled in 24hoursupport.helpdesk:
    >> Above the wailing & moaning of the trolls,The Old Sourdough was heard
    >> to say:

    > snip
    >>>

    >>> Go ahead and reset your router, set your own username and password,
    >>> and never call that so-called "technician" again. If you have troubles
    >>> setting up things again, call upon a 12 year old neighbor kid and
    >>> give him !0 bucks to fix things for you.

    >> Yeah, that'd do it.

    >> BTW, got something for you...& naturally, it's to do with...B-E-E-R!

    >> http://web.mac.com/pconley3/Site/Balloon_Fiesta.html#23

    > Awwwriigghht!!! Suddenly I'm *reeaallly* thirsty...
    >
    > :)

    Thought that would "raise your spirits"! :)

    > BTW, The Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta is really an impressive sight.

    Yes, it looks quite something. :)

    William Poaster, Oct 18, 2009