    I've never had or used one before with TB. It's damn annoying.
    How can I get rid of it please ?
    Cheers Mike
    Mike Gellert, May 24, 2007

  2. Mike Gellert wrote:
    > Hi all,
    > Why after using Thunderbird for ages, all of a sudden I get the message
    > on start-up asking me to enter my password.
    > I've never had or used one before with TB. It's damn annoying.
    > How can I get rid of it please ?
    > Cheers Mike

    Did you or someone else perhaps put a Master Password in?

    [Thunderbird-->Preferences]*-->Privacy [Passwords]

    If the <Remove Master Password> button is not greyed out, then there is
    a Master Password in use.

    You can remove it (using the button) but you will lose ALL your
    passwords in the program

    *varies by OS
    Window
    [Tools-->Options]
    Linux
    [Edit-->Preferences]
    Mac as above
    Moz Champion (Dan), May 25, 2007

  3. Mike Gellert

    Mike Gellert Guest

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Mike Gellert wrote:
    >> Hi all,
    >> Why after using Thunderbird for ages, all of a sudden I get the
    >> message on start-up asking me to enter my password.
    >> I've never had or used one before with TB. It's damn annoying.
    >> How can I get rid of it please ?
    >> Cheers Mike

    > Did you or someone else perhaps put a Master Password in?
    >

    > [Thunderbird-->Preferences]*-->Privacy [Passwords]
    >

    > If the <Remove Master Password> button is not greyed out, then there is
    > a Master Password in use.
    >

    > You can remove it (using the button) but you will lose ALL your
    > passwords in the program
    >

    > *varies by OS
    > Window
    > [Tools-->Options]
    > Linux
    > [Edit-->Preferences]
    > Mac as above

    Dan,
    No, I haven't put a password in and the 'remove master password' is
    grayed out. I have no problem getting to my mail, I just cancel the
    pop-up screen. I would still like to get rid of it
    Mike
    Mike Gellert, May 25, 2007
  4. Mike Gellert wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Mike Gellert wrote:
    >>> Hi all,
    >>> Why after using Thunderbird for ages, all of a sudden I get the
    >>> message on start-up asking me to enter my password.
    >>> I've never had or used one before with TB. It's damn annoying.
    >>> How can I get rid of it please ?
    >>> Cheers Mike

    >> Did you or someone else perhaps put a Master Password in?
    >>

    >> [Thunderbird-->Preferences]*-->Privacy [Passwords]
    >>

    >> If the <Remove Master Password> button is not greyed out, then there
    >> is a Master Password in use.
    >>

    >> You can remove it (using the button) but you will lose ALL your
    >> passwords in the program
    >>

    >> *varies by OS
    >> Window
    >> [Tools-->Options]
    >> Linux
    >> [Edit-->Preferences]
    >> Mac as above

    > Dan,
    > No, I haven't put a password in and the 'remove master password' is
    > grayed out. I have no problem getting to my mail, I just cancel the
    > pop-up screen. I would still like to get rid of it
    > Mike

    Do you have any RSS feeds? Have you checked your mail accounts to see if
    they were inadvertantly switched to require log in?
    Moz Champion (Dan), May 25, 2007
  5. Mike Gellert

    Mike Gellert Guest

    Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > Mike Gellert wrote:
    >> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >>>

    >>> Did you or someone else perhaps put a Master Password in?
    >>>

    >>> [Thunderbird-->Preferences]*-->Privacy [Passwords]
    >>>

    >>> If the <Remove Master Password> button is not greyed out, then there
    >>> is a Master Password in use.
    >>>

    >>> You can remove it (using the button) but you will lose ALL your
    >>> passwords in the program
    >>>

    >>> *varies by OS
    >>> Window
    >>> [Tools-->Options]
    >>> Linux
    >>> [Edit-->Preferences]
    >>> Mac as above

    >> Dan,
    >> No, I haven't put a password in and the 'remove master password' is
    >> grayed out. I have no problem getting to my mail, I just cancel the
    >> pop-up screen. I would still like to get rid of it
    >> Mike

    > Do you have any RSS feeds? Have you checked your mail accounts to see if
    > they were inadvertantly switched to require log in?

    Dan,
    Many thanks for your input......but still no joy.
    Maybe I could try
    1. Create a password and then cancel it, in the hope of fooling the
    program or
    2.Re-install TB (yes, I do have backup of my profile in the way of
    MozBac ) what do you think ? Mike
    Mike Gellert, May 25, 2007
  6. Mike Gellert wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    >> Mike Gellert wrote:
    >>> Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:

    >>> Dan,
    >>> No, I haven't put a password in and the 'remove master password' is
    >>> grayed out. I have no problem getting to my mail, I just cancel the
    >>> pop-up screen. I would still like to get rid of it
    >>> Mike

    >> Do you have any RSS feeds? Have you checked your mail accounts to see
    >> if they were inadvertantly switched to require log in?

    > Dan,
    > Many thanks for your input......but still no joy.
    > Maybe I could try
    > 1. Create a password and then cancel it, in the hope of fooling the
    > program or
    > 2.Re-install TB (yes, I do have backup of my profile in the way of
    > MozBac ) what do you think ? Mike

    If you are going to enter a password for it...

    First note all the entries in Thunderbird now

    Enter the new one and click remember

    Now go back into preferences and find out where that password is coming
    from, there will be a new entry in the list
    Moz Champion (Dan), May 25, 2007
  7. Mike Gellert

    Guest

    On May 24, 11:38 pm, Mike Gellert <> wrote:
    > Moz Champion (Dan) wrote:
    > > Mike Gellert wrote:

    > >> Dan,
    > >> No, I haven't put a password in and the 'remove master password' is
    > >> grayed out. I have no problem getting to my mail, I just cancel the
    > >> pop-up screen. I would still like to get rid of it
    > >> Mike

    > > Do you have any RSS feeds? Have you checked your mail accounts to see if
    > > they were inadvertantly switched to require log in?

    > Dan,
    > Many thanks for your input......but still no joy.
    > Maybe I could try
    > 1. Create a password and then cancel it, in the hope of fooling the
    > program or
    > 2.Re-install TB (yes, I do have backup of my profile in the way of
    > MozBac ) what do you think ? Mike

    all your setting, password, etc, are stored in an area called your TB
    profile directory. This directory is located separately from the
    program directory. When you uninstall, all you're doing is removing
    the program. The profile AND your problem will not be touched.

    One: Close TB, then click on the windows start button, then run and
    enter:

    thunderbird.exe -safe-mode

    This will start TB in safe mode. Does the problem continue?

    If yes, then Two: Close TB, then click on the windows start button,
    then run and enter:

    thunderbird.exe -p

    this will start the TB profile manager. Create a test profile. Does
    the problem continue?
    , Jun 1, 2007