    ..This enabled me to get into the bios but the "change user password" box was
    greyed out.Does anyone have any info how i can clear the password so i can
    install win 98.

    Johno, Oct 13, 2004

  2. Johno

    Buffalo Guest

    "Johno" <> wrote in message
    news:xqabd.44102$...
    > A friend has just been given a pc from his place of work.
    > It is a Tiny pc 333 Celeron.
    > It had win 2k installed,but he decided to wipe the hard drive and

    install
    > windows 98se.Everytime he tried to format the hard drive a message

    came up
    > saying there was no fixed disk present or he needed special drivers

    for the
    > hard disk.
    > I had a look at it myself and found the Bios was password

    protected.Not
    > having the password or a manual for the motherboard,i tried

    resetting the
    > jumpers then removing the cmos battery.
    > .This enabled me to get into the bios but the "change user password"

    box was
    > greyed out.Does anyone have any info how i can clear the password so

    i can
    > install win 98.

    Try removing the battery for around 1/2 hour and try again.(jumper the
    reset for a short time when the batter is out)

    Buffalo, Oct 13, 2004

  3. Johno

    xmp Guest

    Buffalo wrote:

    >>install win 98.

    > Try removing the battery for around 1/2 hour and try again.(jumper the
    > reset for a short time when the batter is out)

    i had a couple of IBM's that i couldn't figure how to get past the bios.
    another computer was fine after battery was removed for a few minutes.
    also i've heard of people shorting the battery connector leads, which
    should discharge a cap. it may be risky.

    i'd also look for jumpers. and google bios cracking for tools if that
    doesn't pan out.

    michael

    xmp, Oct 13, 2004
  4. Johno

    Hamman Guest

    "Johno" <> wrote in message
    >A friend has just been given a pc from his place of work.
    > It is a Tiny pc 333 Celeron.
    > It had win 2k installed,but he decided to wipe the hard drive and install
    > windows 98se.Everytime he tried to format the hard drive a message came up
    > saying there was no fixed disk present or he needed special drivers for
    > the
    > hard disk.
    > I had a look at it myself and found the Bios was password protected.Not
    > having the password or a manual for the motherboard,i tried resetting the
    > jumpers then removing the cmos battery.
    > .This enabled me to get into the bios but the "change user password" box
    > was
    > greyed out.Does anyone have any info how i can clear the password so i can
    > install win 98.

    See if you can find a newer BIOS for the machine (or even the same one) and
    re-flash the chip. Since the memory addresses change, all values are lost
    including the password.

    hamman

    Hamman, Oct 13, 2004
  5. Johno

    Pennywise Guest

    Check out www.ElfQrin.com/docs/biospw.html

    Pennywise, Oct 13, 2004
  6. In article <>,
    Pennywise <> wrote:

    >On Wed, 13 Oct 2004 13:52:29 GMT, "Johno" <> wrote:
    >
    >|>This enabled me to get into the bios but the "change user password" box was
    >|>greyed out.Does anyone have any info how i can clear the password so i can
    >|>install win 98.
    >
    >Check out www.ElfQrin.com/docs/biospw.html

    Oh my. What a cute little name for such a dirty little thing. So tell
    me. Do you put a sock on it and make puppet shows when the lights are
    out? No? Not big enough to throw a shadow you say? Tsk.

    --
    Lady Chatterly

    "Hey everyone! Luciferious and Lady C. ... Two people who are not
    playing with full decks. This is a match made in heaven! ....well
    maybe somewhere besides heaven... " -- Bob Abendroth

    Lady Chatterly, Oct 13, 2004