Password protect screen saver in XP?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by ~misfit~, Jun 10, 2008.

  1. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    S'cuse my n00bness, I've never needed to do this before.

    My PC boots right into wondows with me as admin, no log0on or password
    required.

    Now I have a need to password protect my PC when the SS kicks in. I have the
    option of ticking the tab, however, I don't have a password set up, or the
    option to set one in that dialouge box.

    How do I do this please? I need to keep flamates off my PC.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 10, 2008

  2. ~misfit~

    J.Wilson Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message news:...
    > S'cuse my n00bness, I've never needed to do this before.
    >
    > My PC boots right into wondows with me as admin, no log0on or password required.
    >
    > Now I have a need to password protect my PC when the SS kicks in. I have the option of ticking the
    > tab, however, I don't have a password set up, or the option to set one in that dialouge box.
    >
    > How do I do this please? I need to keep flamates off my PC.

    Control panel, User accounts, Admin, set password?

    J.Wilson, Jun 10, 2008

  3. ~misfit~

    Lodi Guest

    >On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 15:15:14 +1200, J.Wilson wrote:

    >> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    >> S'cuse my n00bness, I've never needed to do this before.
    >>
    >> My PC boots right into wondows with me as admin, no log0on or password
    >> required.
    >>
    >> Now I have a need to password protect my PC when the SS kicks in. I
    >> have the option of ticking the tab, however, I don't have a password
    >> set up, or the option to set one in that dialouge box.
    >>
    >> How do I do this please? I need to keep flamates off my PC.

    > Control panel, User accounts, Admin, set password?

    FWIW if the bad guys have physical access to your machine then bypassing
    an administrator password is relatively simple (in both Windows and
    Linux). For any real chance of keeping the bad guys out you need full
    disk encryption.

    Regards
    Lodi

    Lodi, Jun 10, 2008
  4. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "geoff" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> S'cuse my n00bness, I've never needed to do this before.
    >>
    >> My PC boots right into wondows with me as admin, no log0on or
    >> password required.
    >>
    >> Now I have a need to password protect my PC when the SS kicks in. I
    >> have the option of ticking the tab, however, I don't have a password
    >> set up, or the option to set one in that dialouge box.
    >>
    >> How do I do this please? I need to keep flamates off my PC.

    > You want a pw to protect the PC from your flatmates when the SS kicks
    > in, but you don't feel the need to protect it from them just turning
    > it on and using it ? Bizarre.

    LOL, thinking on my feet here, I've just dicovered I can't trust my flamate.

    I see the replies from Richarb and J Wilson are very helpful and I'll do as
    they suggest.

    Thanks for your input.
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 10, 2008
  5. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Lodi" typed:
    >> On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 15:15:14 +1200, J.Wilson wrote:

    >>> "~misfit~" <> wrote in message

    >>> S'cuse my n00bness, I've never needed to do this before.
    >>>
    >>> My PC boots right into wondows with me as admin, no log0on or
    >>> password required.
    >>>
    >>> Now I have a need to password protect my PC when the SS kicks in. I
    >>> have the option of ticking the tab, however, I don't have a password
    >>> set up, or the option to set one in that dialouge box.
    >>>
    >>> How do I do this please? I need to keep flamates off my PC.

    >> Control panel, User accounts, Admin, set password?

    > FWIW if the bad guys have physical access to your machine then
    > bypassing an administrator password is relatively simple (in both
    > Windows and Linux). For any real chance of keeping the bad guys out
    > you need full disk encryption.

    The 'bad guys' in this case is one PC naive person whom I've just discovered
    can't be trusted. Believe me (I set up their machine) they're nowhere near
    up to bypassing a password. (F8?)

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 10, 2008
  6. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Richard" typed:
    > ~misfit~ wrote:
    >> S'cuse my n00bness, I've never needed to do this before.
    >>
    >> My PC boots right into wondows with me as admin, no log0on or
    >> password required.
    >>
    >> Now I have a need to password protect my PC when the SS kicks in. I
    >> have the option of ticking the tab, however, I don't have a password
    >> set up, or the option to set one in that dialouge box.
    >>
    >> How do I do this please? I need to keep flamates off my PC.

    > screensaver uses windows authentication on wakeup, has done on
    > everything since windows 98.
    >
    > You need to put a password on your account in the users control panel,
    > will also keep them from just turning it off and on again to get into
    > it.

    Thanks, this I will do

    > Or you could kick them out. Thats the wonderful thing about flatmates
    > ;)

    LOL. Yeah. However, the part of town I live in, the pool of potentail
    flatmates is... shall we say less than optimal? Add in the fact that I have
    anxiety issues and I don't think I'll get another flatmate when this one's
    gone. That said, it'll be even harder to make ends meet without one. :-(

    As the saying goes, better the devil you know. At least I'm getting to know
    this particular devil better. Forearmed and all that. Now I have to stop
    network access to my audio/video library too, (while still leaving internet
    access available, part of the agreement) up until now my non-sensitive files
    have been freely shared. Heh, I'm pretty sure I can do that just fine
    although simply unsharing drives isn't the answer as I have other networked
    appliances which need access.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 10, 2008
  7. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "J.Wilson" typed:

    ~misfit~, Jun 10, 2008
  8. ~misfit~

    PeeCee Guest

    "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    > S'cuse my n00bness, I've never needed to do this before.
    >
    > My PC boots right into wondows with me as admin, no log0on or password
    > required.
    >
    > Now I have a need to password protect my PC when the SS kicks in. I have
    > the option of ticking the tab, however, I don't have a password set up, or
    > the option to set one in that dialouge box.
    >
    > How do I do this please? I need to keep flamates off my PC.
    >
    > Cheers,
    > --
    > Shaun.
    >
    > DISCLAIMER: If you find a posting or message from me
    > offensive, inappropriate, or disruptive, please ignore it.
    > If you don't know how to ignore a posting, complain to
    > me and I will be only too happy to demonstrate... ;-)

    Set one of your Screen saver's up with a password, then put a shortcut to it
    in the 'Startup' folder.
    The screen saver will be a .scr file in C:\windows\system32 eg Flowerbox is
    ssflwbox.scr

    Then when the PC is switched on because it automatically logs onto your
    profile it will automatically start the passworded screensaver.

    Not a perfect security measure but works well against those with a minimum
    level of tech skills.

    Best
    Paul.

    PeeCee, Jun 10, 2008
  9. ~misfit~

    Lodi Guest

    >On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 15:40:31 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    >> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Lodi" typed:

    >>> Control panel, User accounts, Admin, set password?

    >> FWIW if the bad guys have physical access to your machine then
    >> bypassing an administrator password is relatively simple (in both
    >> Windows and Linux). For any real chance of keeping the bad guys out you
    >> need full disk encryption.

    > The 'bad guys' in this case is one PC naive person whom I've just
    > discovered can't be trusted. Believe me (I set up their machine) they're
    > nowhere near up to bypassing a password. (F8?)
    >
    > Cheers,

    By "relatively simple" I mean go to....

    http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/

    .....and download their live CD iso. Burn the iso and you've got a really
    handy addition to your recovery toolbox.

    Having said that, I haven't used the 2.0 version so caveat emptor.

    Regards
    Lodi

    Lodi, Jun 10, 2008
  10. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "PeeCee" typed:
    > "~misfit~" <> wrote in message
    >> S'cuse my n00bness, I've never needed to do this before.
    >>
    >> My PC boots right into wondows with me as admin, no log0on or
    >> password required.
    >>
    >> Now I have a need to password protect my PC when the SS kicks in. I
    >> have the option of ticking the tab, however, I don't have a password
    >> set up, or the option to set one in that dialouge box.
    >>
    >> How do I do this please? I need to keep flamates off my PC.

    > Set one of your Screen saver's up with a password, then put a
    > shortcut to it in the 'Startup' folder.
    > The screen saver will be a .scr file in C:\windows\system32 eg Flowerbox
    > is ssflwbox.scr
    >
    > Then when the PC is switched on because it automatically logs onto
    > your profile it will automatically start the passworded screensaver.
    >
    > Not a perfect security measure but works well against those with a
    > minimum level of tech skills.

    Heh! Sounds nifty, thanks for the heads up.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.

    ~misfit~, Jun 10, 2008
  11. ~misfit~

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarweb "Lodi" typed:
    >> On Tue, 10 Jun 2008 15:40:31 +1200, ~misfit~ wrote:

    >>> Somewhere on teh intarweb "Lodi" typed:

    >>> FWIW if the bad guys have physical access to your machine then
    >>> bypassing an administrator password is relatively simple (in both
    >>> Windows and Linux). For any real chance of keeping the bad guys out
    >>> you need full disk encryption.

    >> The 'bad guys' in this case is one PC naive person whom I've just
    >> discovered can't be trusted. Believe me (I set up their machine)
    >> they're nowhere near up to bypassing a password. (F8?)

    > By "relatively simple" I mean go to....
    >
    > http://ophcrack.sourceforge.net/
    >
    > ....and download their live CD iso. Burn the iso and you've got a
    > really handy addition to your recovery toolbox.
    >
    > Having said that, I haven't used the 2.0 version so caveat emptor.

    Hmmmm, looks interesting. 421MB for the Live CD for XP though, might have to
    look at it another day.

    Cheers,
    --
    Shaun.