  1. I want to add a password requirement to open a single folder on my
    desktop that I store some private data. Is there a way to do that?

    Thanks
    Just Wondering, Jun 25, 2006

  2. Just Wondering

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Just Wondering wrote:
    > I want to add a password requirement to open a single folder on my
    > desktop that I store some private data. Is there a way to do that?
    >
    > Thanks

    Yes.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 25, 2006

  3. Just Wondering

    beenthere Guest

    "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    > When I was a child, I remember my Mom telling me, "Son, when you grow
    > up, you can marry any girl you please." When I became a young man, I
    > learned the sad fact was that I could not please any of them.

    how the hell do you know that TT ?.
    You haven`t tried them all yet <g>.
    beenthere, Jun 25, 2006
  4. Just Wondering

    Toolman Tim Guest

    beenthere wrote:
    > "Toolman Tim" <> wrote in message
    >> When I was a child, I remember my Mom telling me, "Son, when you grow
    >> up, you can marry any girl you please." When I became a young man, I
    >> learned the sad fact was that I could not please any of them.

    > how the hell do you know that TT ?.
    > You haven`t tried them all yet <g>.

    Well, okay. You could be right. I've just about given up though ;o)

    Toolman Tim, Jun 25, 2006
  5. Toolman Tim wrote:
    > Just Wondering wrote:
    >> I want to add a password requirement to open a single folder on my
    >> desktop that I store some private data. Is there a way to do that?
    >>
    >> Thanks

    > Yes.

    Welllll, OK then. Maybe you could let me know if you know how to do it.
    Or send me to a source for the instructions. Thanks.

    PS to Toolman: Your answer to "beenthere" did not come through.
    Just Wondering, Jun 25, 2006
  6. Just Wondering

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Just Wondering wrote:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> Just Wondering wrote:
    >>> I want to add a password requirement to open a single folder on my
    >>> desktop that I store some private data. Is there a way to do that?
    >>>
    >>> Thanks

    >> Yes.
    >>

    > Welllll, OK then. Maybe you could let me know if you know how to do
    > it. Or send me to a source for the instructions. Thanks.

    Well, you DID ask a yes/no question, now didn't you <g>

    Right click on the folder, select "Properties". Click on the "Sharing" tab.
    Select "Make this folder private". If you don't have a password on your
    login account, you should be prompted to apply a password to this folder.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 25, 2006
  7. Just Wondering

    Plato Guest

    Plato, Jun 26, 2006
  8. Toolman Tim wrote:
    > Just Wondering wrote:
    >> Toolman Tim wrote:

    >>> Yes.
    >>>

    >> Welllll, OK then. Maybe you could let me know if you know how to do
    >> it. Or send me to a source for the instructions. Thanks.
    >>

    > Well, you DID ask a yes/no question, now didn't you <g>
    >
    > Right click on the folder, select "Properties". Click on the "Sharing" tab.
    > Select "Make this folder private". If you don't have a password on your
    > login account, you should be prompted to apply a password to this folder.

    Thanks for the suggestion, but there appears to be no sharing tab. I do
    something wrong? jim
    Just Wondering, Jun 26, 2006
  9. Just Wondering

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Just Wondering wrote:
    > Toolman Tim wrote:
    >> Just Wondering wrote:
    >>>>
    >>> Welllll, OK then. Maybe you could let me know if you know how to do
    >>> it. Or send me to a source for the instructions. Thanks.
    >>>

    >> Well, you DID ask a yes/no question, now didn't you <g>
    >>
    >> Right click on the folder, select "Properties". Click on the
    >> "Sharing" tab. Select "Make this folder private". If you don't have
    >> a password on your login account, you should be prompted to apply a
    >> password to this folder.

    > Thanks for the suggestion, but there appears to be no sharing tab. I
    > do something wrong? jim

    Perhaps you need to run the Home Network Setup Wizard. Or enable file and
    printer sharing in the Network Connection Properties. I believe either
    should accomplish what you need.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 26, 2006
  10. Just Wondering

    ellis_jay Guest

    Just Wondering wrote:
    > I want to add a password requirement to open a single folder on my
    > desktop that I store some private data. Is there a way to do that?
    >
    > Thanks

    English version:

    http://www.sofotex.com/Atronics-File-Security-download_L13337.html

    ___Sador the carpenter to Turin
    Tolkien, The Unfinished Tales

    Ellis_Jay
    ellis_jay, Jun 27, 2006
  11. Just Wondering

    Toolman Tim Guest

    Just Wondering wrote:
    > I want to add a password requirement to open a single folder on my
    > desktop that I store some private data. Is there a way to do that?
    >
    > Thanks

    Okay - that "private folder" thing only works if you have multiple user
    accounts. Not convenient if you aren't already doing that.

    But I did some searching on the web, and here's the thing you were looking
    for: http://www.folderaccess.com/

    There's one problem with this program: you have to remember to manually lock
    the folder when you're done. Oh - this is the "free" version and I expect
    there's a limitation somewhere. I think it's only going to lock 4 folders or
    something.

    There are a number of commercial programs available that may work better. I
    couldn't find any way to contact the people who wrote this one to suggest
    they add an option to open folders without removing the lock.

    Toolman Tim, Jun 27, 2006