    PWB Guest

    I have certain documents in one particuler folder , and i dont want anyone
    but me to see it how do i password protect it please TIA

    PWB, Mar 12, 2008

  2. PWB

    Jim Guest

    "PWB" <> wrote in message
    news:%SSBj.1956$...
    >I have certain documents in one particuler folder , and i dont want anyone
    >but me to see it how do i password protect it please TIA

    >Right click on the folder you

    want to protect with a
    password.

    Select "Send to compressed
    (zipped) folder.

    A new zipped folder will
    appear on the desk top.

    Open this folder then click
    on "file" and add a password.

    You can drag everything you want to protect into that folder which will only
    open when you enter your password.
    Make sure it works before you delete your original folder

    Jim, Mar 12, 2008

  3. PWB

    Jim Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in message

    > "PWB" <> wrote in message
    >>I have certain documents in one particuler folder , and i dont want anyone
    >>but me to see it how do i password protect it please TIA

    >>Right click on the folder you

    > want to protect with a
    > password.
    >
    > Select "Send to compressed
    > (zipped) folder.
    >
    > A new zipped folder will
    > appear on the desk top.
    >
    > Open this folder then click
    > on "file" and add a password.
    >
    > You can drag everything you want to protect into that folder which will
    > only open when you enter your password.
    > Make sure it works before you delete your original folder

    Should have said that the folder will open normally but you will have to
    enter your password before you can open any of the files in it.

    Jim, Mar 12, 2008
  4. PWB

    Piso Mojado Guest

    "Jim" <> wrote in message

    > "Jim" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "PWB" <> wrote in message
    >>>I have certain documents in one particuler folder , and i dont want
    >>>anyone but me to see it how do i password protect it please TIA

    >>>Right click on the folder you

    >> want to protect with a
    >> password.
    >>
    >> Select "Send to compressed
    >> (zipped) folder.
    >>
    >> A new zipped folder will
    >> appear on the desk top.
    >>
    >> Open this folder then click
    >> on "file" and add a password.
    >>
    >> You can drag everything you want to protect into that folder which will
    >> only open when you enter your password.
    >> Make sure it works before you delete your original folder

    > Should have said that the folder will open normally but you will have to
    > enter your password before you can open any of the files in it.

    It depends on the operating system you have. Perhaps if you mention it, we
    can help you....

    Piso Mojado, Mar 12, 2008
  5. PWB

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 15:43:55 GMT, PWB wrote:

    >I have certain documents in one particuler folder , and i dont want anyone
    >but me to see it how do i password protect it please TIA

    Might depend on the OS you are using.

    Windows (NT,2000,XP, Vista) with NTFS file system has security by
    default. If you store files in your documents then other users won't be
    allowed access, unless you allow it.

    Otherwise search past posts in 24HSHD,
    password protecting folders is asked about, often enough to remember
    there are questions about it.

    43 results for
    password protect folders

    What do you know :)

    Locking Down File Folder(s) in Win XP Pro
    Password Protect Folders in XP - WorldStart Computer Tips and ... There
    are two ways to password protect a folder built into Windows XP (for
    other Windows ... Folder Guard - A commercial version of a password
    protection software that enables you to password protect files, folders,
    and other Windows resources. ...
    Jan 22 by why? - 7 messages - 7 authors

    There are 6 links in that post for apps.

    Me

    why?, Mar 12, 2008
  6. PWB

    sdlomi2 Guest

    "PWB" <> wrote in message
    >I have certain documents in one particuler folder , and i dont want anyone
    >but me to see it how do i password protect it please TIA

    If it is a MS-Word doc, click Tools>Protect/Unprotect Document>...add
    password into box provided. s

    sdlomi2, Mar 12, 2008
  7. PWB

    Desk Rabbit Guest

    PWB wrote:
    > I have certain documents in one particuler folder , and i dont want
    > anyone but me to see it how do i password protect it please TIA

    Not password protected but a chmod 0700 on the directory should do it.
    Only you will have access.

    Desk Rabbit, Mar 12, 2008
  8. why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in

    > On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 15:43:55 GMT, PWB wrote:
    >
    >> I have certain documents in one particuler folder , and i dont
    >> want anyone but me to see it how do i password protect it please
    >> TIA

    > Might depend on the OS you are using.
    >
    > Windows (NT,2000,XP, Vista) with NTFS file system has security by
    > default. If you store files in your documents then other users
    > won't be allowed access, unless you allow it.

    ... or unless they have Admin priviledge
    ... or unless they boot in Safe mode as Administrator
    ... or unless they boot from a live Linux CD
    I wouldn't trust the file system "security" to protect my phone number.

    The only decent protection provided by Windows is the Encrypted File
    System (EFS)... but it is only available with the Pro versions of Win
    2000 and XP (and who-knows-what flavors of Vista) and unless you
    carefully back up your certificate, you _will_ lose access to your own
    data eventually.

    My prefered solution is freeware Truecrypt which works with all flavors
    of Windows 2000,XP,Vista, and Linux. Best freeware out there.

    <http://www.truecrypt.org>

    -- John

    John Wunderlich, Mar 12, 2008
  9. PWB

    olfart Guest

    "John Wunderlich" <> wrote in message
    > why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in
    >

    >> On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 15:43:55 GMT, PWB wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have certain documents in one particuler folder , and i dont
    >>> want anyone but me to see it how do i password protect it please
    >>> TIA

    >> Might depend on the OS you are using.
    >>
    >> Windows (NT,2000,XP, Vista) with NTFS file system has security by
    >> default. If you store files in your documents then other users
    >> won't be allowed access, unless you allow it.

    > ... or unless they have Admin priviledge
    > ... or unless they boot in Safe mode as Administrator
    > ... or unless they boot from a live Linux CD
    > I wouldn't trust the file system "security" to protect my phone number.
    >
    > The only decent protection provided by Windows is the Encrypted File
    > System (EFS)... but it is only available with the Pro versions of Win
    > 2000 and XP (and who-knows-what flavors of Vista) and unless you
    > carefully back up your certificate, you _will_ lose access to your own
    > data eventually.
    >
    > My prefered solution is freeware Truecrypt which works with all flavors
    > of Windows 2000,XP,Vista, and Linux. Best freeware out there.
    >
    > <http://www.truecrypt.org>
    >
    > -- John

    or a simple and free solution is Hide Folder
    http://www.cleanersoft.com/hidefolder/free_hide_folder.htm

    olfart, Mar 12, 2008
  10. PWB

    sandy58 Guest

    On Mar 12, 9:04 pm, "olfart" <> wrote:
    > "John Wunderlich" <> wrote in message

    > > why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in

    > >> Might depend on the OS you are using.

    > >> Windows (NT,2000,XP, Vista) with NTFS file system has security by
    > >> default. If you store files in your documents then other users
    > >> won't be allowed access, unless you allow it.

    > > ... or unless they have Admin priviledge
    > > ... or unless they boot in Safe mode as Administrator
    > > ... or unless they boot from a live Linux CD
    > > I wouldn't trust the file system "security" to protect my phone number.

    > > The only decent protection provided by Windows is the Encrypted File
    > > System (EFS)... but it is only available with the Pro versions of Win
    > > 2000 and XP (and who-knows-what flavors of Vista) and unless you
    > > carefully back up your certificate, you _will_ lose access to your own
    > > data eventually.

    > > My prefered solution is freeware Truecrypt which works with all flavors
    > > of Windows 2000,XP,Vista, and Linux. Best freeware out there.

    > > <http://www.truecrypt.org>

    > > -- John

    > or a simple and free solution is Hide Folderhttp://www.cleanersoft.com/hidefolder/free_hide_folder.htm

    Thanks, olfart. Tidy & small. :)

    sandy58, Mar 12, 2008
  11. PWB

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 19:30:00 GMT, John Wunderlich wrote:

    >why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz> wrote in
    >

    >> On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 15:43:55 GMT, PWB wrote:
    >>
    >>> I have certain documents in one particuler folder , and i dont
    >>> want anyone but me to see it how do i password protect it please
    >>> TIA

    >> Might depend on the OS you are using.
    >>
    >> Windows (NT,2000,XP, Vista) with NTFS file system has security by
    >> default. If you store files in your documents then other users
    >> won't be allowed access, unless you allow it.

    > ... or unless they have Admin priviledge
    > ... or unless they boot in Safe mode as Administrator

    Something I do generally avoid at work and home giving too much of that
    priv out. It's just more difficult having the multiple keypass door
    entry system to add that physical isolation touch, at home, unlike work
    :)

    > ... or unless they boot from a live Linux CD

    Yes well, for the casual user it's good enough and you have to be able
    to read the filesystem somehow to recover data :)
    MS had to leave some sort of backdoor, 1 job a guy got today is a faulty
    mobo / ide controller system failing to boot. 64GB not backed up 1 years
    work needs copied quickly to a safer place.

    Putting the HD in another PC and taking ownership of the folders is
    another way.

    >I wouldn't trust the file system "security" to protect my phone number.
    >
    >The only decent protection provided by Windows is the Encrypted File
    >System (EFS)... but it is only available with the Pro versions of Win
    >2000 and XP (and who-knows-what flavors of Vista) and unless you

    IIRC the Win2000 ver had a big issue if one could take over the local
    admin account (it's the EFS agent access) then could unencrypt data. XP
    fixed this.

    In Vista, I have see it in Ult and Ent, assume it's not in home or the
    other bottom of the list one.

    >carefully back up your certificate, you _will_ lose access to your own
    >data eventually.

    Having seen this happen, I try and forget about mentioning it. If people
    can't backup normal data doing something as important as not getting a
    backup of cert and key sorted and safely stored is more worrying.

    <snip>

    Me

    why?, Mar 12, 2008
  12. PWB

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 18:16:10 +0000, Desk Rabbit wrote:

    >PWB wrote:
    >> I have certain documents in one particuler folder , and i dont want
    >> anyone but me to see it how do i password protect it please TIA

    >Not password protected but a chmod 0700 on the directory should do it.

    <grin>

    >Only you will have access.

    Me

    why?, Mar 12, 2008
  13. PWB

    PWB Guest

    "Piso Mojado" <floormop@bucket> wrote in message
    > "Jim" <> wrote in message
    >>
    >> "Jim" <> wrote in message
    >>>
    >>> "PWB" <> wrote in message

    >>> want to protect with a
    >>> password.
    >>>
    >>> Select "Send to compressed
    >>> (zipped) folder.
    >>>
    >>> A new zipped folder will
    >>> appear on the desk top.
    >>>
    >>> Open this folder then click
    >>> on "file" and add a password.
    >>>
    >>> You can drag everything you want to protect into that folder which will
    >>> only open when you enter your password.
    >>> Make sure it works before you delete your original folder

    >> Should have said that the folder will open normally but you will have to
    >> enter your password before you can open any of the files in it.
    >>>

    > It depends on the operating system you have. Perhaps if you mention it, we
    > can help you....

    sorry its windows vista home premium but I can get access to one with XP
    home on if the above instructions only apply to that.

    PWB, Mar 12, 2008
  14. PWB

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 22:38:34 GMT, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz>
    wrote:

    >On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 19:30:00 GMT, John Wunderlich wrote:

    <snip>
    >>> Windows (NT,2000,XP, Vista) with NTFS file system has security by
    >>> default. If you store files in your documents then other users
    >>> won't be allowed access, unless you allow it.

    >> ... or unless they have Admin priviledge
    >> ... or unless they boot in Safe mode as Administrator

    >Something I do generally avoid at work and home giving too much of that
    >priv out. It's just more difficult having the multiple keypass door
    >entry system to add that physical isolation touch, at home, unlike work
    >:)

    No one has Admin at work but me. My God Man, just think of what a whole herd of
    lusers could do....

    <cold shudders>

    --
    A luser is someone who returns a perfectly good hammer to the hardware
    store saying "There's something wrong with it.  I keep hitting my

    Mara, Mar 12, 2008
  15. PWB

    why? Guest

    On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 17:57:05 -0500, Mara wrote:

    >On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 22:38:34 GMT, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 19:30:00 GMT, John Wunderlich wrote:

    ><snip>
    >>> ... or unless they have Admin priviledge
    >>> ... or unless they boot in Safe mode as Administrator

    >>Something I do generally avoid at work and home giving too much of that
    >>priv out. It's just more difficult having the multiple keypass door
    >>entry system to add that physical isolation touch, at home, unlike work
    >>:)

    >No one has Admin at work but me. My God Man, just think of what a whole herd of
    >lusers could do....

    I am still having an ongoing argument with a manager about admin access
    on very old domains we have (I did manage them, no matter what group I
    was in PC, Unix, Networking). I have always had admin but he wants this
    removed. There are very few systems left, however as long as the server
    guys keep shouting for help I get to keep admin.

    There are newer domains, and as I don't work in the server group I can't
    get admin access. Then again quite often they have to RDP in for me so I
    can fix thier stuff :) oh what fun.

    ><cold shudders>

    Well how about this then, 3 builds at work-
    Restricted locked down desktops, YES!
    More open developer PC, oops they can install things.
    Laptops very open, as need remote help via email/phone and admin rights.

    What do the last 2 get us?

    When you rebuilt my PC, A,B and C aren't there anymore.
    I can't reinstall X because the keyfile is gone.
    What happened to my Outlook PST?

    Simple answer, the support agreement is

    Your problem.
    Your problem.
    It's not been supported for years, but the server based mail archive is.

    Then it gets really silly, client user accounts can read from CD but not
    install apps. My IT support account can install apps but not read from
    CD. So user has to copy files for me, then I can login to put the app
    on.

    Me

    why?, Mar 12, 2008
  16. PWB

    Mara Guest

    On Wed, 12 Mar 2008 23:13:08 GMT, why? <fgrirp*sgc@VAINY!Qznq.fpvragvfg.pbz>
    wrote:

    <snip>
    >I am still having an ongoing argument with a manager about admin access
    >on very old domains we have (I did manage them, no matter what group I
    >was in PC, Unix, Networking). I have always had admin but he wants this
    >removed. There are very few systems left, however as long as the server
    >guys keep shouting for help I get to keep admin.

    Too many cooks spoil the broth.

    >There are newer domains, and as I don't work in the server group I can't
    >get admin access. Then again quite often they have to RDP in for me so I
    >can fix thier stuff :) oh what fun.

    I'd say "Nope, sorry, no can do - it's too hard to talk you through, and in
    order to fix that I have to fix this and then log out and then go fix the other
    thing and it's just useless to try without Admin access (unless you pay me
    $500/hr. I'll want that in writing too.)

    >><cold shudders>

    >Well how about this then, 3 builds at work-
    >Restricted locked down desktops, YES!

    That should be a given.

    >More open developer PC, oops they can install things.

    kill.

    >Laptops very open, as need remote help via email/phone and admin rights.

    Kill.

    >What do the last 2 get us?
    >
    >When you rebuilt my PC, A,B and C aren't there anymore.
    >I can't reinstall X because the keyfile is gone.
    >What happened to my Outlook PST?

    KILL.

    >Simple answer, the support agreement is
    >
    >Your problem.
    >Your problem.
    >It's not been supported for years, but the server based mail archive is.
    >

    >Then it gets really silly, client user accounts can read from CD but not
    >install apps. My IT support account can install apps but not read from
    >CD. So user has to copy files for me, then I can login to put the app
    >on.

    Whaaa???!!

    It's time for you to relax, kick back, grab a cold one, and *use* the remote to
    those radio-controlled dynamite collars.

    And I thought *I* had tards. JHC.

    Mara, Mar 12, 2008
  17. PWB

    Guest

    PWB wrote:

    > sorry its windows vista home premium but I can get access to one with XP
    > home on if the above instructions only apply to that.

    Maybe try this http://www.securezip.com/ it appears to be free for now.

    , Mar 13, 2008
  18. PWB

    PWB Guest

    "Desk Rabbit" <> wrote in message
    > PWB wrote:
    >> I have certain documents in one particuler folder , and i dont want
    >> anyone but me to see it how do i password protect it please TIA

    > Not password protected but a chmod 0700 on the directory should do it.
    > Only you will have access.

    Its a windos O/S not Linux, can you do it in windows?

    PWB, Mar 16, 2008