    with that.
    Thanks in advance,
    Paul

    Paul Burdett, Jun 5, 2005

  2. Paul Burdett

    Paul Burdett Guest

    "Paul Burdett" <> wrote in message
    news:42a37395$0$16857$...
    > Hello,
    > Can someone help me here please. I have two computers..one old one and one
    > new one (win xp pro SP2). The older one is running windows xp pro (was

    98SE
    > before...xp installed by the builder of my new computer). The new one

    shuts
    > down fine..no problems there. However, with the older one it hangs at
    > shutdown with the "Saving settings" dialogue. Now, I've read that this is

    > known issue..and that a walkaround is to disable the splashscreen by going
    > into "user accounts" and selecting the "change the way users log on or

    off"
    > and unchecking the two boxes there. This seems to solve the problem, but
    > when I start the computer i get the dialogue box that asks for a password.
    > Just clicking "OK" and not entering one gets me to my desktop, but is

    there
    > a way to prevent this password prompt? In Win 98SE it was quite easy, but

    > can't figure it out in xp pro and my internet reading comes up with a
    > variety of ways including registry edits, and i don't want to fool around
    > with that.
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Paul

    P.S. Sorry...i should mention that this "hanging' only happens sometimes.

    Paul Burdett, Jun 5, 2005

  3. Paul Burdett

    Emrys Davies Guest

    > Hello,
    > Can someone help me here please. I have two computers..one old one and

    one
    > new one (win xp pro SP2). The older one is running windows xp pro (was

    98SE
    > before...xp installed by the builder of my new computer). The new one

    shuts
    > down fine..no problems there. However, with the older one it hangs at
    > shutdown with the "Saving settings" dialogue. Now, I've read that this

    is a
    > known issue..and that a walkaround is to disable the splashscreen by

    going
    > into "user accounts" and selecting the "change the way users log on or

    off"
    > and unchecking the two boxes there. This seems to solve the problem,

    but
    > when I start the computer i get the dialogue box that asks for a

    password.
    > Just clicking "OK" and not entering one gets me to my desktop, but is

    there
    > a way to prevent this password prompt? In Win 98SE it was quite easy,

    Can you explain how it is easy in Win98 SE as I very occasionally get
    asked for a user name and password when I bootup and I would like to get
    rid of it.

    but I

    Emrys Davies, Jun 6, 2005
  4. Paul Burdett

    Toolman Tim Guest

    "Emrys Davies" <> wrote in message
    > "Paul Burdett" <> wrote in message
    >> Hello,
    >> Can someone help me here please. I have two computers..one old one and

    > one
    >> new one (win xp pro SP2). The older one is running windows xp pro (was

    > 98SE
    >> before...xp installed by the builder of my new computer). The new one

    > shuts
    >> down fine..no problems there. However, with the older one it hangs at
    >> shutdown with the "Saving settings" dialogue. Now, I've read that this

    > is a
    >> known issue..and that a walkaround is to disable the splashscreen by

    > going
    >> into "user accounts" and selecting the "change the way users log on or

    > off"
    >> and unchecking the two boxes there. This seems to solve the problem,

    > but
    >> when I start the computer i get the dialogue box that asks for a

    > password.
    >> Just clicking "OK" and not entering one gets me to my desktop, but is

    > there
    >> a way to prevent this password prompt? In Win 98SE it was quite easy,

    > Can you explain how it is easy in Win98 SE as I very occasionally get
    > asked for a user name and password when I bootup and I would like to get
    > rid of it.

    If you are not networked, go to network properties and remove Microsoft
    Networking Client and Microsoft Family Logon (terms may not be exact - I am
    after all not as young as I once was <g>).

    Toolman Tim, Jun 6, 2005