    password. I 've tried using a system disk and nothing, before it starts
    to boot it ask for a password, is there anything short of installing
    another hard drive that I can do.

    Dennis Blackwell, Apr 6, 2004

  2. Dennis Blackwell

    °Mike° Guest

    I'm guessing that you're talking about a BIOS password?
    One has to wonder how a "friend's young daughter" can
    "accidentally" set a BIOS password.

    On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 19:21:27 -0400, in
    <>
    Dennis Blackwell scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance

    °Mike°, Apr 6, 2004

  3. Dennis Blackwell

    Unk Guest

    On Mon, 05 Apr 2004 19:21:27 -0400, Dennis Blackwell <>
    wrote:

    >I am running a second computer with windows 98SE and my friends young
    >daughter was on the computer and accidently set the password on it and
    >said she don't remember what she did, but when booting up it ask for a
    >password. I 've tried using a system disk and nothing, before it starts
    >to boot it ask for a password, is there anything short of installing
    >another hard drive that I can do.

    It sounds like she set a BIOS password, not a Windows password.

    Unplug the computer and remove the cover.
    Near the CMOS battery on the motherboard is a jumper covering two of three
    pins. Move the jumper so it covers the exposed pin. Wait a few secs. and
    move it back to where it was. That will reset the BIOS to the default
    settings. If the jumper block is missing, remove the battery for 10
    minutes.

    Unk, Apr 6, 2004
  4. Dennis Blackwell

    Palindrome Guest

    Dennis Blackwell wrote:

    > I am running a second computer with windows 98SE and my friends young
    > daughter was on the computer and accidently set the password on it and
    > said she don't remember what she did, but when booting up it ask for a
    > password. I 've tried using a system disk and nothing, before it starts
    > to boot it ask for a password, is there anything short of installing
    > another hard drive that I can do.

    If it asks for a password as soon as it starts up, then this is a BIOS
    password. Changing the hard drive will not help.

    You need to reset the BIOS password. Normally that is done (not on a
    laptop) by opening the case and moving a jumper plug on the motherboard
    from one position to another and then back again. On a laptop, it
    sometimes involves removing a small battery and then replacing it.

    A desktop computer can easily have a dozen or more jumper plugs and
    moving the wrong one can be/will be terminal. Where did you get the
    computer and what make/model is it?

    Palindrome, Apr 6, 2004
  5. Dennis Blackwell

    Dave Guest

    Dennis,

    In order to process your request we need your credit card information, your
    expiration date, your Card Security numbers and of course the name on your
    Card.

    Thanks Dave

    Googled Servcices

    Dave, Apr 6, 2004
  6. Dennis Blackwell

    pcbutts1 Guest

    If it will boot from a floppy then temporarily disable your antivirus and
    download Kill Cmos from here
    http://pcmedicdirect.com/downloads/Utilities/Other/Kill Cmos/
    save it to a floppy boot to it and run it.

    pcbutts1, Apr 6, 2004
  7. Dennis Blackwell

    Billh Guest

    I agree that had to be some accident!

    Billh, Apr 6, 2004
  8. Dennis Blackwell

    Juan Pérez Guest

    The "friend's young daughter", if exist, could be between ages 19 and 27
    and capable of farking around in the BIOS...AND just right for me, even
    !! :eek:)

    Juan Pérez, Apr 6, 2004
  9. Dennis Blackwell

    °Mike° Guest

    DOWN, BOY, DOWN!! :eek:)

    On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 04:13:38 GMT, in
    <S7qcc.11648$>
    Juan Pérez scrawled:

    °Mike°, Apr 6, 2004
  10. Don't know that answer, but is there an answer to my question?

    Dennis Blackwell, Apr 7, 2004