    passwords for the users. But if you hit cancel it will bypass the password
    and open up the computer. does any one know how to fix this???

    Rich
    The Baker's, May 4, 2004

  2. The Baker's

    °Mike° Guest

    You can't fix it. Windows 9x/ME are insecure
    in that respect.

    On Mon, 3 May 2004 21:24:56 -0700, in
    <>
    The Baker's scrawled:

    --
    Basic computer maintenance
    °Mike°, May 4, 2004

  3. The Baker's wrote:

    > I am trying set up different users on computer with windows ME it takes the
    > passwords for the users. But if you hit cancel it will bypass the password
    > and open up the computer. does any one know how to fix this???
    >
    > Rich

    One thing you might want to consider is to buy some caddies
    and hard disks and give each of your users a cloned copy of
    the hard disk. That is the only real way of protecting
    multiple user accounts on ME.

    Changing to, say, NT is another option. There are still
    means of bypassing password protection if they have
    unconstrained physical access to the system box, but not
    just by hitting "cancel".
    =?UTF-8?B?UGFsaW5kcuKYu21l?=, May 4, 2004
  4. Alexander Rogge, May 4, 2004
  5. The Baker's

    Dan Shea Guest

    On Mon, 3 May 2004 21:24:56 -0700, "The Baker's" <>
    wrote:

    >I am trying set up different users on computer with windows ME it takes the
    >passwords for the users. But if you hit cancel it will bypass the password
    >and open up the computer. does any one know how to fix this???

    There's nothing to fix; it's not busted. The fact that someone can
    access the computer by simply bypassing the logon screen has no
    bearing on your ability to set up different users. That's the way ME
    (and 9x) works. Setting up users on a 9x/ME box is NOT the same as
    securing the computer.

    If you want to secure the computer itself from unauthorized use,
    consider a BIOS startup password or a 3rd party program such as
    Windows Security Officer 95/98.

    Cheers,
    dan
    Dan Shea, May 4, 2004