    Thanks for the answers and sorry if this isn't the right newsgroup.

    --

    t.Jesse
    Jesse Ruissalo, Jun 20, 2004

  2. Jesse Ruissalo

    Eddie Benton Guest

    Jesse Ruissalo wrote:
    > Hi!
    >
    > Needless to say that I don't know much about making a website. However if
    > it's not sooo very hard I'd like to put a password on it so that just anyone
    > couldn't access my page. Is this nearly impossible? Hope not.
    >
    > Thanks for the answers and sorry if this isn't the right newsgroup.

    use the .htaccess file
    Search google for .htaccess
    Eddie Benton, Jun 20, 2004

  3. Jesse Ruissalo

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 11:50:10 +0300, "Jesse Ruissalo"
    <> wrote:

    >Hi!
    >
    >Needless to say that I don't know much about making a website. However if
    >it's not sooo very hard I'd like to put a password on it so that just anyone
    >couldn't access my page. Is this nearly impossible? Hope not.
    >
    >Thanks for the answers and sorry if this isn't the right newsgroup.

    Its not really the right newsgroup for that level of question;

    You should talk to whoever is going to host your website
    about how you can password protect it IF thats what you
    want. However part fo the point of websites is that they
    are mostly publically accessible.

    Depending on where you are hosting it, its easy to impossible
    to protect with a password.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Jun 20, 2004
  4. Jesse Ruissalo

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Sun, 20 Jun 2004 14:07:05 +0100, Eddie Benton
    <> wrote:

    >Jesse Ruissalo wrote:
    >> Hi!
    >>
    >> Needless to say that I don't know much about making a website. However if
    >> it's not sooo very hard I'd like to put a password on it so that just anyone
    >> couldn't access my page. Is this nearly impossible? Hope not.
    >>
    >> Thanks for the answers and sorry if this isn't the right newsgroup.
    >>

    >use the .htaccess file
    >Search google for .htaccess

    It does not work with all servers, and the descriptions of it on
    the web are very cryptic. For someone who hasn't a clue its
    not really that useful.

    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Jun 20, 2004
  5. Jesse Ruissalo

    Mimic Guest

    "Jesse Ruissalo" <> wrote in message
    > Hi!
    >
    > Needless to say that I don't know much about making a website. However if
    > it's not sooo very hard I'd like to put a password on it so that just

    anyone
    > couldn't access my page. Is this nearly impossible? Hope not.
    >
    > Thanks for the answers and sorry if this isn't the right newsgroup.
    >
    > --
    >

    > t.Jesse

    i wrote a php site authentification system if you want it, but your
    host will need to supoprt php and mysql

    --
    Mimic

    Social Engineering - Because theres no patch for human stupidity.
    ZGF0YWZsZXhAY2FubmFiaXNtYWlsLmNvbQ== ( www.hidemyemail.net )
    Mimic, Jun 21, 2004
  6. ----- Original Message -----
    > > Needless to say that I don't know much about making a website. However

    if
    > > it's not sooo very hard I'd like to put a password on it so that just

    > anyone
    > > couldn't access my page. Is this nearly impossible? Hope not.
    > >
    > > Thanks for the answers and sorry if this isn't the right newsgroup.
    > >
    > > --
    > >

    > > t.Jesse
    > >

    > i wrote a php site authentification system if you want it, but your
    > host will need to supoprt php and mysql
    >
    > --
    > Mimic
    >
    > Social Engineering - Because theres no patch for human stupidity.
    > ZGF0YWZsZXhAY2FubmFiaXNtYWlsLmNvbQ== ( www.hidemyemail.net )
    > "Without knowledge you have fear. With fear you create your own

    nightmares."
    > "He who controls Google, controls the world".

    That would be great!

    My host is my cable modem service provider ie my internet service provider.
    I'll ask them if they support the standards you mentioned.
    Jesse Ruissalo, Jun 21, 2004
  7. Sorry about that but this seemed to be the best computer security type
    newsroom I could find.

    Jesse Ruissalo, Jun 21, 2004
  8. Apparently the host doesn't support it.
    Jesse Ruissalo, Jun 21, 2004
  9. Jesse Ruissalo

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 13:13:58 +0300, "Jesse Ruissalo"
    <> wrote:

    >Apparently the host doesn't support it.

    Just as well, because it is a lot of work to get something
    like that going, ask then about HTACCESS
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Jun 21, 2004
  10. Jesse Ruissalo

    Mimic Guest

    "Jim Watt" <_way> wrote in message
    > On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 13:13:58 +0300, "Jesse Ruissalo"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    > >Apparently the host doesn't support it.

    > Just as well, because it is a lot of work to get something
    > like that going, ask then about HTACCESS
    > --
    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com

    not with my scripts :D , they need a few tweaks but
    its farly straight forward :D

    Mimic, Jun 21, 2004
  11. Jesse Ruissalo

    > Apparently the host doesn't support it.

    Well id say that was very poor, but it is just your ISP
    and alot just give you some space, not many features.
    You could always buy proper hosting, i use www.mykungfoo.com
    they tend to be pretty good and have various password
    setting functions, like password protect directories, which
    I imagine would be ideal for you.

    Mimic, Jun 21, 2004
  12. Jesse Ruissalo

    Bill Unruh Guest

    ]<> wrote:

    ]>Apparently the host doesn't support it.

    ]Just as well, because it is a lot of work to get something
    ]like that going, ask then about HTACCESS

    ?? htaccess IS the mechanism to do what he wants it seems.
    Saying the host does ot support it sounds like it is precisely htaccess
    which they do not support.
    Bill Unruh, Jun 21, 2004
  13. Jesse Ruissalo

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 21:02:13 +0100, "Mimic" <null@void> wrote:

    >"Jim Watt" <_way> wrote in message
    >> On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 13:13:58 +0300, "Jesse Ruissalo"
    >> <> wrote:
    >>
    >> >Apparently the host doesn't support it.

    >> Just as well, because it is a lot of work to get something
    >> like that going, ask then about HTACCESS
    >> --
    >> Jim Watt
    >> http://www.gibnet.com

    >not with my scripts :D , they need a few tweaks but
    >its farly straight forward :D

    Yeah but if it needs MySQL ...
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Jun 21, 2004
  14. Jesse Ruissalo

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 21:48:17 +0000 (UTC),
    (Bill Unruh) wrote:

    >Jim Watt <_way> writes:
    >
    >]On Mon, 21 Jun 2004 13:13:58 +0300, "Jesse Ruissalo"
    >]<> wrote:
    >
    >]>Apparently the host doesn't support it.
    >
    >]Just as well, because it is a lot of work to get something
    >]like that going, ask then about HTACCESS
    >
    >?? htaccess IS the mechanism to do what he wants it seems.
    >Saying the host does ot support it sounds like it is precisely htaccess
    >which they do not support.

    No, it was the PHP stuff - most hosting sites do support .htaccess
    however to be perverse the one I am using wants payment to
    activate it. Pity because I wrote a PERL system to manage
    passwords for a project.
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Jun 21, 2004
  15. >Thanks for the answers and sorry if this isn't the right newsgroup.

    This probably isn't the right group, but I'll give it a shot, anyway. If you are
    just using the complementry web space provided by your ISP, you probably can't.
    They generally don't allow any kind of server side activity. If you had your own
    server, it would be a snap. In between those two extremes, what you can do
    depends on the server (IIS, Apache, etc.) and the degree of freedom you have to
    run server side action.

    You might be able to build a crude password system using forms, but it would be
    awkward to use.
    ?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
    http://lists.gpick.com
    \Crash\ Dummy, Jun 22, 2004
  16. Jesse Ruissalo

    > >not with my scripts :D , they need a few tweaks but
    > >its farly straight forward :D

    > Yeah but if it needs MySQL ...
    > --
    > Jim Watt
    > http://www.gibnet.com

    hhrrmm actually if the user has PHP support on the host, I think
    I recommended www.mykungfoo.net , a simple form with,

    if($pass != "password") {
    print( "Error" );
    else { header("Location: private.php"); }

    few sessions or summink in there no probs.
    So..... Jesse, if you end up having a host with PHP
    support and dont want the hassle of a database, Ill
    whack together some stuff for you innit.

    Mimic, Jun 22, 2004
  17. Jesse Ruissalo

    Jim Watt Guest

    On Tue, 22 Jun 2004 20:20:54 +0100, "Mimic" <null@void> wrote:

    >"Jim Watt" <_way> wrote in message
    >> >
    >> >not with my scripts :D , they need a few tweaks but
    >> >its farly straight forward :D

    >> Yeah but if it needs MySQL ...
    >> --
    >> Jim Watt
    >> http://www.gibnet.com

    >hhrrmm actually if the user has PHP support on the host, I think
    >I recommended www.mykungfoo.net , a simple form with,
    >
    >if($pass != "password") {
    > print( "Error" );
    >else { header("Location: private.php"); }
    >

    >few sessions or summink in there no probs.
    >So..... Jesse, if you end up having a host with PHP
    >support and dont want the hassle of a database, Ill
    >whack together some stuff for you innit.

    Surely you are not suggesting that client side code has
    any merit in protecting a website :)
    --
    Jim Watt
    http://www.gibnet.com
    Jim Watt, Jun 22, 2004
  18. >Surely you are not suggesting that client side code has
    >any merit in protecting a website :)

    I believe he was talking about PHP on the server and entering the password with
    a form. Any server side script would work, ASP, PHP, JSP, etc. It may be
    possible to handle a form submission without server side script, but I don't
    know how. I've always used ASP.
    \Crash\ Dummy, Jun 22, 2004
  19. Jesse Ruissalo

    Mimic Guest

    ""Crash" Dummy" <> wrote in message
    > >Surely you are not suggesting that client side code has
    > >any merit in protecting a website :)

    > I believe he was talking about PHP on the server and entering the password

    with
    > a form. Any server side script would work, ASP, PHP, JSP, etc. It may be
    > possible to handle a form submission without server side script, but I

    don't
    > know how. I've always used ASP.
    > --
    > Dave "Crash" Dummy - A weapon of mass destruction
    > ?subject=Techtalk (Do not alter!)
    > http://lists.gpick.com

    Yup innit I was talking Serverside - PHP ;P
    Which, might I add, is the g0d :)

    Mimic, Jun 23, 2004
  20. >Yup innit I was talking Serverside - PHP ;P
    >Which, might I add, is the g0d :)

    A lot of people confuse technology with religion.
    \Crash\ Dummy, Jun 24, 2004