    that is required when ordering something online etc. And be able to
    use different payment methods like different cards and stuff like paypal.

    Not essential to be free, but there is no point in paying a silly price.
    Rod Speed, Feb 11, 2005

  2. Rod Speed

    Don McKenzie Guest

    Rod Speed wrote:

    > What do people like for managing passwords ?
    >
    > I need it to be able to manage the more complicated passwords like
    > are seen with net banking that have more than one password field,
    > have it able to auto fill any form on a single toolbar click, and to be
    > able to handle the filling out of complex forms with all the usual data
    > that is required when ordering something online etc. And be able to
    > use different payment methods like different cards and stuff like paypal.
    >
    > Not essential to be free, but there is no point in paying a silly price.

    Rod, have a look at Keypass:
    http://www.dobysoft.com/products/keypass/index.html

    I tried a lot, and finally settled on this one, when I pushed them into adding
    what I needed, and they were very receptive to bug reports.

    Had it for about a year, and I now use it about every 5 minutes during a working
    day.

    Email me privately if you have any specific questions.

    Don...

    --
    Don McKenzie
    E-Mail Contact Page: http://www.e-dotcom.com/ecp.php?un=Dontronics

    VoIP USB/RJ11 Use Any Phone http://www.dontronics.com/phoneconnector.html
    USB to RS232 Converter that works http://www.dontronics.com/usb_232.html
    Don McKenzie, Feb 11, 2005

  3. Rod Speed

    DalienX Guest

    Rod Speed wrote:

    > What do people like for managing passwords ?
    >
    > I need it to be able to manage the more complicated passwords like
    > are seen with net banking that have more than one password field,
    > have it able to auto fill any form on a single toolbar click, and to
    > be able to handle the filling out of complex forms with all the usual
    > data that is required when ordering something online etc. And be able
    > to use different payment methods like different cards and stuff like
    > paypal.
    >
    > Not essential to be free, but there is no point in paying a silly
    > price.

    I use a program called "keytext"

    --
    DalienX
    DalienX, Feb 11, 2005
  4. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    Don McKenzie <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Rod Speed wrote

    >> What do people like for managing passwords ?

    >> I need it to be able to manage the more complicated passwords like
    >> are seen with net banking that have more than one password field,
    >> have it able to auto fill any form on a single toolbar click, and to be
    >> able to handle the filling out of complex forms with all the usual data
    >> that is required when ordering something online etc. And be able to
    >> use different payment methods like different cards and stuff like paypal.

    >> Not essential to be free, but there is no point in paying a silly price.

    > Rod, have a look at Keypass:
    > http://www.dobysoft.com/products/keypass/index.html

    > I tried a lot, and finally settled on this one, when I pushed them into adding
    > what I needed, and they were very receptive to bug reports.

    My superficial reaction is that its a bit too basic, just passwords.

    If I'm going to automate it, it might as well do everything similar
    like all the other stuff like credit card numbers, credit card pins,
    and all the basic address and details you have to supply when
    signing up for something or buying something online.

    Roboform is more like what I had in mind,
    http://www.roboform.com/index.html

    I got that by just looking at the password managers that got
    5 cows in tucows. I'd rather not try all the say 4 and 5 cow
    password managers if I can avoid it, too much work basically.

    > Had it for about a year, and I now use it about every 5 minutes during a
    > working day.

    Yeah, I wouldnt necessarily use it quite that much, but certainly
    multiple times a day. I currently use a proper encrypted database
    of my own but its a bit of a nuisance with the multi password forms
    like with net banking and I basically decided that it makes no sense
    to add all the power I need to the database when its easy to get.

    > Email me privately if you have any specific questions.

    Thanks for that Don.
    Rod Speed, Feb 11, 2005
  5. Rod Speed

    bambam Guest

    bambam, Feb 11, 2005
  6. Rod Speed

    Plato Guest

    Rod Speed wrote:

    > What do people like for managing passwords ?

    Arent you trying to defeat the basic reason for passwords?

    Plato, Feb 11, 2005
  7. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    Plato <|@|.|> wrote in message
    > Rod Speed wrote:

    >> What do people like for managing passwords ?

    > Arent you trying to defeat the basic reason for passwords?

    Nope, not if the password manager is secured by a password itself.

    That way you only have to remember one of them and the rest are automated.

    With the best of them you can even completely secure the password
    manager physically by having it on one of those USB key devices so
    even physical access to the PC isnt enough to compromise the passwords.

    Rod Speed, Feb 11, 2005
  8. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    Rod Speed <> wrote in
    message news:...
    > Don McKenzie <> wrote
    >> Rod Speed wrote

    >>> What do people like for managing passwords ?

    >>> I need it to be able to manage the more complicated passwords like
    >>> are seen with net banking that have more than one password field,
    >>> have it able to auto fill any form on a single toolbar click, and to be
    >>> able to handle the filling out of complex forms with all the usual data
    >>> that is required when ordering something online etc. And be able to
    >>> use different payment methods like different cards and stuff like paypal.

    >>> Not essential to be free, but there is no point in paying a silly price.

    >> Rod, have a look at Keypass:
    >> http://www.dobysoft.com/products/keypass/index.html

    >> I tried a lot, and finally settled on this one, when I pushed them into
    >> adding what I needed, and they were very receptive to bug reports.

    > My superficial reaction is that its a bit too basic, just passwords.

    > If I'm going to automate it, it might as well do everything similar
    > like all the other stuff like credit card numbers, credit card pins,
    > and all the basic address and details you have to supply when
    > signing up for something or buying something online.

    > Roboform is more like what I had in mind,
    > http://www.roboform.com/index.html

    > I got that by just looking at the password managers that got
    > 5 cows in tucows. I'd rather not try all the say 4 and 5 cow
    > password managers if I can avoid it, too much work basically.

    Just installed that, talk about effortless.

    Very elegant auto popup help which does what the vast
    bulk of apps dont bother to do, even in the manual,
    explain what they mean by their terms like passcard etc.

    Auto configures by country so the basic stuff like date format
    and phone number format are appropriate for the country.

    Gives you hints as you enter the initial data,
    like how to do mulitiple credit cards etc.

    On the whole one of the most elegant little apps I have used for years.

    Rod Speed, Feb 11, 2005
  9. Rod Speed

    Guest

    The Aussie Michael Jackson wrote:
    > Rod Speed <> wrote in
    > message news:...
    > > Don McKenzie <> wrote

    > > Roboform is more like what I had in mind,
    > > http://www.roboform.com/index.html

    > > I got that by just looking at the password managers that got
    > > 5 cows in tucows. I'd rather not try all the say 4 and 5 cow
    > > password managers if I can avoid it, too much work basically.

    > Just installed that, talk about effortless.
    >
    > Very elegant auto popup help which does what the vast
    > bulk of apps dont bother to do, even in the manual,
    > explain what they mean by their terms like passcard etc.
    >
    > Auto configures by country so the basic stuff like date format
    > and phone number format are appropriate for the country.
    >
    > Gives you hints as you enter the initial data,
    > like how to do mulitiple credit cards etc.
    >
    > On the whole one of the most elegant little apps I have used for

    years.

    Helps you keep track of your kiddie porn passwords no doubt.
    , Feb 11, 2005
  10. Rod Speed

    Don McKenzie Guest

    > My superficial reaction is that its a bit too basic, just passwords.

    I can put 10 steps in one entry Rod.
    Or 1000 for that matter.

    It now contains all of my private data, like my list of about 50 email
    forwarders for when my server backup doesn't work, and I have to manually
    restore it. Yes, I used it for that in January.

    And as you mentioned in a later message, it will also run from a usb ram drive,
    so it is fully transportable, and I only need to remember one password.

    So it is not only a password keeper, it will launch any web page with any
    browser installed on your system. I run 3 on a regualr basis.

    I just keep throwing my personal and business information into it.
    Fantastic for when you travel and get on the airline lounge PC, or Internet
    Cafe. You have all your bookmarks and passwords at your fingertips.

    I have fax numbers, phone numbers, email addresses, snail addresses, in fact it
    now contains all the info I need in a hurry.

    With a directory structure, it means it can be an address book, or anything that
    you want to build it into.

    I used to have these details scattered all over my hard drive in different sub
    directories. 25 years of data collection.

    Now I feel for the first time, I am fully organized in this regard, and I won't
    be leaving that sensitive information on old hard drives, that may find their
    way into other peoples hands.

    Stick it on a usb ram drive, and away you go.

    Don...

    Don McKenzie, Feb 12, 2005
  11. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    Don McKenzie <> wrote in
    message news:...

    >> My superficial reaction is that its a bit too basic, just passwords.

    > I can put 10 steps in one entry Rod.
    > Or 1000 for that matter.

    > It now contains all of my private data, like my list of about 50 email
    > forwarders for when my server backup doesn't work, and I have to manually
    > restore it. Yes, I used it for that in January.

    Roboform does intelligent AI form filling tho, where you supply the
    usual data, and it works out for itself what data each field in the
    form requires and the format it requires it in. That applys to stuff
    that can vary quite a bit in format like the phone number etc.

    > And as you mentioned in a later message, it will also run from a usb ram
    > drive, so it is fully transportable, and I only need to remember one password.

    > So it is not only a password keeper, it will launch any web page with any
    > browser installed on your system. I run 3 on a regualr basis.

    > I just keep throwing my personal and business information into it.
    > Fantastic for when you travel and get on the airline lounge PC, or Internet
    > Cafe. You have all your bookmarks and passwords at your fingertips.

    > I have fax numbers, phone numbers, email addresses, snail addresses, in fact
    > it now contains all the info I need in a hurry.

    Sure, but its handy if the manager works out which of those to put
    into a particular form without the user having to even think about it.

    > With a directory structure, it means it can be an address book, or anything
    > that you want to build it into.

    > I used to have these details scattered all over my hard drive in different sub
    > directories. 25 years of data collection.

    I've had them all in a proper database for some time, but cant
    justify developing the fancy AI approach to working out which
    of the data in the database goes in which field in a particular form.

    > Now I feel for the first time, I am fully organized in this regard, and I
    > won't be leaving that sensitive information on old hard drives, that may find
    > their way into other peoples hands.

    > Stick it on a usb ram drive, and away you go.

    Sure, thats an essential in any decent password manager.
    Rod Speed, Feb 12, 2005
  12. pencil and peice of paper and system that I and only I understand for
    interpreting it all. Not free but can last years if that is all you use the
    pad and pencil for. But of course it can't be obvious to anyone that this
    is a record of your passwords.

    Raven

    Raven Shadowwinds, Feb 12, 2005
  13. Rod Speed

    Don McKenzie Guest

    > Roboform does intelligent AI form filling tho, where you supply the
    > usual data, and it works out for itself what data each field in the
    > form requires and the format it requires it in. That applys to stuff
    > that can vary quite a bit in format like the phone number etc.

    Aha! Neat, perhaps I better look at it then Rod. :)

    Don...

    Don McKenzie, Feb 12, 2005
  14. Rod Speed

    Steve Guest

    >> Roboform does intelligent AI form filling tho, where you supply the
    >> usual data, and it works out for itself what data each field in the
    >> form requires and the format it requires it in. That applys to stuff
    >> that can vary quite a bit in format like the phone number etc.

    Yep, it does a good job. Wish I hadn't upgraded to the last free
    version though, it now restricts to 10 sites instead of 30.
    Steve, Feb 12, 2005
  15. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    Steve <> wrote in message

    >>> Roboform does intelligent AI form filling tho, where you supply the
    >>> usual data, and it works out for itself what data each field in the
    >>> form requires and the format it requires it in. That applys to stuff
    >>> that can vary quite a bit in format like the phone number etc.

    > Yep, it does a good job. Wish I hadn't upgraded to the last
    > free version though, it now restricts to 10 sites instead of 30.

    It isnt that expensive for the Pro version thats completely unlimited.
    Rod Speed, Feb 12, 2005
  16. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    Raven Shadowwinds <> wrote in message

    > pencil and peice of paper and system that I and only
    > I understand for interpreting it all. Not free but can
    > last years if that is all you use the pad and pencil for.

    I did use that for a while but dont do it that way anymore,
    even when out of the house, I use the cellphone for that now.

    Much too primitive in my opinion, I use too many sites roughly
    daily and enough of them cant use the IE autocomplete unless
    it has some way of enabling the ones it doesnt complete that
    I still havent chased down. No real need to now since I need
    the higher security for the net banking anyway. The IE one
    has some other downsides, it cant keep track of the usename
    that completely so you still have to remember which of the
    usernames belong with each site from a small number.

    Roboform fixes all that.

    > But of course it can't be obvious to anyone
    > that this is a record of your passwords.

    Sure, and thats not hard to ensure.

    Too crude for me tho, particularly with the online
    stuff, damned nuisance to have to type it in at all
    with stuff that you use roughly daily etc.

    Rod Speed, Feb 12, 2005
  17. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    Victor Smith <> wrote in message
    > Rod Speed <> wrote
    >> shinypenny <> wrote
    >>> Rod Speed wrote

    >>> Personally, I would never answer such a question in a public
    >>> forum. Maybe I'm paranoid, but I'd worry about security
    >>> implications of someone knowing what password manager I use.

    >> Too paranoid in my opinion, but then I use my real name and its
    >> unusual enough that it isnt hard to find me in the phone book etc.

    >> Thats what the rotty and shotty are for.

    > Using your real name in newsgroup postings is different than
    > typing all of your personal information, including SSN, DOB,
    > PINS, CC/Debit card, logins, passwords, etc into software
    > that interfaces with web apps and is just waiting to be hacked.

    No one was even talking about that, JUST naming
    the password manager that you choose to use.

    I know my system has never been 'hacked' and
    anyone attempting to do that would still have to
    'hack' the secure database it uses anyway.

    > Especially if/when it has a large user base.
    > All to save a couple minutes of typing

    Not even feasible with the huge number of just
    passwords alone I have and use quite frequently.

    > or cutting/pasting.

    And that approach is much LESS secure against 'hacking'
    than using a decent secure password manager.

    > I just downloaded and began to install Roboform.
    > My fingers resisted typing in the personal info the software
    > wanted, and my head agreed with my fingers. It's gone.

    Your mindless paranoia is your problem.

    > Enter this type of non-memorized info into a spreadsheet,
    > txt file or db tucked away somewhere *not* named
    > "All info required for identity theft".

    Mindless stuff. It makes a hell of a lot more sense to use
    a system designed from scratch to secure that data.

    If you are mindlessly paranoid, just leave
    out the most important data like the net
    banking passwords and memorise those.

    Some are mindlessly paranoid enough to never use net banking too.

    > Encrypt it if you want, and use one of the programs
    > like Magic Folders, Hide Folders, or XP admin
    > functions to conceal it from prying eyes and hackers.

    Makes a hell of a lot more sense to ensure
    that your system cant be 'hacked', stupid.

    And you're compromising your security a hell of a lot
    more when you get the data out of that system than
    you do with a decent secure password manager.

    > The most secure method is to keep it
    > on paper only, but I don't go to that extreme.

    Then you are actually taking a hell of a lot more risk with
    'hackers' than if you used a decent secure password
    manager, because any keylogger will rape your arse.

    > Now a sodding nerd might absolutely *need* this
    > stuff, but any sense of caution recommends against it.

    Thanks for that completely superfluous proof
    that you've never ever had a fucking clue.
    Rod Speed, Feb 12, 2005
  18. Rod Speed

    Guest

    "Raven Shadowwinds" <> in news:StrPd.10129$:

    > pencil and peice of paper and system that I and only I understand for
    > interpreting it all.

    that's roughly what i do for the very few pwds that matter. (and those aren't terribly important). the financial pwds are semi-
    cryptic, and i keep them only in my head. when i go senile, i won't probably care about pwds :)
    , Feb 14, 2005
  19. Rod Speed

    Hunter1 Guest

    Aquika Deush wrote:
    > I'm Queer.

    I'm sure you are.
    Hunter1, Feb 15, 2005
  20. Rod Speed

    Aquila Deus Guest

    Hunter1 wrote:
    > Aquika Deush wrote:
    >> I'm Queer.

    > I'm sure you are.

    You are aware that you're a closeted, cottaging, shit-stain, eh?
    Aquila Deus, Feb 15, 2005