Password Managers/form fillers

Discussion in 'Computer Information' started by Rod Speed, Aug 7, 2011.

  1. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    Have been using Roboform for years now and am pretty happy with its performance.

    Moving it to a Win7 64 bit system and find that they havent bothered to support
    64 bit IE8, you have to use the 32 bit version of IE8, and thats after a year now.
    More of a nuisance than something crucial tho.

    But the fact that they originally claimed that you could update forever for free if
    you bought a license and then changed their mind on that left a bit of a bad taste.

    And it now wont export all the data so you cant move to a competitor either.

    Not a lot of alternatives show up. LassPass is very close but keeps the data
    online and I dont care for that approach because you're fucked if they get
    hacked and if they go broke and since its mostly free, thats a real possibility.

    And it only allows one credit card per profile. Thats a major downside since
    I try not to keep much cash in my main trading account so if that does get
    looted I havent lost much until the bank gets its act into gear and reverses
    that looting, taking its time to do that. So I do use multiple cards quite a bit.
    You can obviously have multiple profiles but if you change some of the basic
    data other than the card data you would have to manually edit all the profiles,
    one for each card. Bit crude, tho admittedly I dont need to do that often.

    The PC Mag review of LastPass claims that LastPass, Roboform and 1-Click
    are the only systems that automatically detect when you are filling in a form
    and offer to keep that data for the next time you use that site. I find that very
    handy indeed and is the main reason I use Roboform. That claim is a bit old
    now tho, made in March 2009, so it may not be true anymore.

    And I cant find any trace of 1-Click either, presumably it went bust or
    something tho its a bit tricky to seach on a name like that.

    I'm considering just holding my nose and keeping on using Roboform.
    There is a kludgy workaround for exporting the data if you need to,
    but its unclear how long Sibian will continue to allow that to happen
    since they have deliberately removed that from the latest version.

    Is anyone using anything better ? It must have automatic form filling capture.
    Rod Speed, Aug 7, 2011

  2. Rod Speed

    Petzl Guest

    On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 15:42:56 +1000, "Rod Speed"
    <> wrote:

    >Is anyone using anything better ? It must have automatic form filling capture.

    I'm using Password depot
    http://www.password-depot.com/overview.htm
    I only use 32bit mode but it has been available in 64 bit since Vista
    (Ver 4 now Ver 6). Freeware mode rstricted to 20 password but 30 day
    free trail (before going to freeware mode). I use it to log into
    Internet banking which requires 3 fields (boxes)

    Petzl
    --

    "You are the salt of the Earth... You are the Light of the World"
    Petzl, Aug 7, 2011

  3. Rod Speed

    Petzl Guest

    On Sun, 07 Aug 2011 17:07:56 +1000, Petzl <> wrote:

    >I'm using Password depot
    >http://www.password-depot.com/overview.htm
    >I only use 32bit mode but it has been available in 64 bit since Vista
    >(Ver 4 now Ver 6). Freeware mode restricted to 20 password, but 30 day
    >free trail (before going to freeware mode). I use it to log into
    >Internet banking which requires 3 fields (boxes)
    >
    >Petzl

    I also only use it from a USB drive (has to be installed on computer
    first) Don't trust keeping passwords on Windows computers
    --
    Petzl
    Sir John Downer stated, when the Australian Constitution was finally adopted, ‘Our Australian Commonwealth from its first stage will be a Christian Commonwealth’.
    Petzl, Aug 7, 2011
  4. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    Pretzl wrote
    > Rod Speed <> wrote

    >> Is anyone using anything better ? It must have automatic form filling capture.

    > I'm using Password depot
    > http://www.password-depot.com/overview.htm
    > I only use 32bit mode but it has been available in 64 bit since Vista
    > (Ver 4 now Ver 6). Freeware mode rstricted to 20 password but 30 day
    > free trail (before going to freeware mode). I use it to log into
    > Internet banking which requires 3 fields (boxes)

    It doesnt appear to automatically fill in forms like Roboform and LassPass do.

    Thats very handy indeed when say registering as a new customer on a web site,
    it fills all the details like name, address, phone numbers, email addresses etc.
    Rod Speed, Aug 7, 2011
  5. Rod Speed

    Petzl Guest

    On Sun, 7 Aug 2011 17:40:41 +1000, "Rod Speed"
    <> wrote:

    >Pretzl wrote
    >> Rod Speed <> wrote

    >>> Is anyone using anything better ? It must have automatic form filling capture.

    >> I'm using Password depot
    >> http://www.password-depot.com/overview.htm
    >> I only use 32bit mode but it has been available in 64 bit since Vista
    >> (Ver 4 now Ver 6). Freeware mode rstricted to 20 password but 30 day
    >> free trail (before going to freeware mode). I use it to log into
    >> Internet banking which requires 3 fields (boxes)

    >It doesnt appear to automatically fill in forms like Roboform and LassPass do.
    >
    >Thats very handy indeed when say registering as a new customer on a web site,
    >it fills all the details like name, address, phone numbers, email addresses etc.

    ok then it may not do what you exactally want. Strange Roboform have
    not got a 64 bit version?
    --
    Petzl
    Million: 1,000,000
    Petzl, Aug 7, 2011
  6. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    Pretzl wrote
    > Pretzl <> wrote

    >> I'm using Password depot
    >> http://www.password-depot.com/overview.htm
    >> I only use 32bit mode but it has been available in 64 bit since Vista
    >> (Ver 4 now Ver 6). Freeware mode restricted to 20 password, but 30
    >> day free trail (before going to freeware mode). I use it to log into
    >> Internet banking which requires 3 fields (boxes)

    > I also only use it from a USB drive (has to be installed on computer
    > first) Don't trust keeping passwords on Windows computers

    The best systems encrypt their data so its useless to anyone who can get it.
    Rod Speed, Aug 7, 2011
  7. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    Pretzl wrote
    > Rod Speed <> wrote
    >> Pretzl wrote
    >>> Rod Speed <> wrote

    >>> I'm using Password depot
    >>> http://www.password-depot.com/overview.htm
    >>> I only use 32bit mode but it has been available in 64 bit since
    >>> Vista (Ver 4 now Ver 6). Freeware mode rstricted to 20 password but
    >>> 30 day free trail (before going to freeware mode). I use it to log
    >>> into Internet banking which requires 3 fields (boxes)

    >> It doesnt appear to automatically fill in forms like Roboform and LassPass do.

    >> Thats very handy indeed when say registering as a new
    >> customer on a web site, it fills all the details like name,
    >> address, phone numbers, email addresses etc.

    > ok then it may not do what you exactally want.

    Yeah, looks like it.

    > Strange Roboform have not got a 64 bit version?

    It does run fine on 64 bit Win7, you just have to use the
    32 bit version of IE8 if you want to use it with that browser.
    Rod Speed, Aug 7, 2011
  8. Rod Speed <> wrote:

    > Have been using Roboform for years now and am pretty happy with its
    > performance...

    I don't know Roboform, but wonder if you've considered keepass?

    http://keepass.info/

    to replacing "aaa" by "284".
    Jeremy Nicoll - news posts, Aug 12, 2011
  9. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    Jeremy Nicoll wrote
    > Rod Speed <> wrote

    >> Have been using Roboform for years now and am pretty happy with its performance...

    > I don't know Roboform, but wonder if you've considered keepass?
    > http://keepass.info/

    Yeah, main problem with it is that I need a decent form filler as well.
    Its a complete pain in the arse to have to fill in all the details when
    you buy stuff from a new web site or apply for a new account etc.
    So much easier to just enter it all once and then just one click to
    have it all filled in auto and the new stuff like the password saved etc.
    Rod Speed, Aug 12, 2011
  10. Rod Speed

    Petzl Guest

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 14:40:32 +1000, "Rod Speed"
    <> wrote:

    >Jeremy Nicoll wrote
    >> Rod Speed <> wrote

    >>> Have been using Roboform for years now and am pretty happy with its performance...

    >> I don't know Roboform, but wonder if you've considered keepass?
    >> http://keepass.info/

    >Yeah, main problem with it is that I need a decent form filler as well.
    >Its a complete pain in the arse to have to fill in all the details when
    >you buy stuff from a new web site or apply for a new account etc.
    >So much easier to just enter it all once and then just one click to
    >have it all filled in auto and the new stuff like the password saved etc.

    Password Depot does this?
    You have to create the words to enter in, once done and saved never
    forgets. Works from USB drive as well you just save the password file
    on website and you can then access it from any web connection
    Petzl, Aug 12, 2011
  11. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    Pretzl wrote
    > Rod Speed <> wrote
    >> Jeremy Nicoll wrote
    >>> Rod Speed <> wrote

    >>> I don't know Roboform, but wonder if you've considered keepass?
    >>> http://keepass.info/

    >> Yeah, main problem with it is that I need a decent form filler as
    >> well. Its a complete pain in the arse to have to fill in all the details
    >> when you buy stuff from a new web site or apply for a new account etc.

    >> So much easier to just enter it all once and then just one click to have
    >> it all filled in auto and the new stuff like the password saved etc.

    > Password Depot does this?

    Yeah, but Roboform and LastPass collect that info from the
    form you fill out so you dont have to enter it more than once.

    > You have to create the words to enter in, once done and saved never forgets.

    Sure, but they all do that.

    > Works from USB drive as well you just save the password file
    > on website and you can then access it from any web connection

    Most of them allow that too, but I dont use that myself, the last
    thing I need is for that site to get hacked and all that stuff stolen.
    Rod Speed, Aug 12, 2011
  12. Rod Speed

    Petzl Guest

    On Fri, 12 Aug 2011 16:36:52 +1000, "Rod Speed"
    <> wrote:

    >> Password Depot does this?

    >Yeah, but Roboform and LastPass collect that info from the
    >form you fill out so you dont have to enter it more than once.

    Password depot call it "Custom Fields" you only have to enter it
    once. I only have used it onone account which has three "boxes"
    (fields) each need filling, done by auto [programmed] hitting TAB to
    jump to each box filling each in then jumping to next, then hits
    [programmed] enter.
    It's very configurable

    From their Help
    *****
    Password - Custom Fields
    To add custom fields to your password entry go to the Custom Fields
    tab while adding/editing a password entry.

    Click Add to create a new field. In order to do this you have to enter
    a name for the field and the value which the field should have. If
    you check the option Visible in top bar, this custom field will appear
    in the top bar and you will be able to insert it from there directly.

    Via Edit you can change the value or name of a field subsequently.

    Delete erases the field from your list.

    Via Move Up and Move Down you can change the order of your custom
    fields.

    If you uncheck the option Mask Values you will be able to see the
    values you entered for each field.

    Click OK when you have added all desired custom fields.
    *****
    Petzl, Aug 12, 2011
  13. Rod Speed

    Rod Speed Guest

    Pretzl wrote
    > Rod Speed <> wrote

    >>> Password Depot does this?

    >> Yeah, but Roboform and LastPass collects that info from the
    >> form you fill out so you dont have to enter it more than once.

    > Password depot call it "Custom Fields" you only have to enter it once.

    Yes, but you only have to enter the data on the one form you are
    filling in with Roboform and you dont have to tell it the name of the
    field either, it gets that from the form.

    > I only have used it onone account which has three "boxes"
    > (fields) each need filling, done by auto [programmed] hitting
    > TAB to jump to each box filling each in then jumping to next,
    > then hits [programmed] enter.
    > It's very configurable

    Yes, but you dont have to configure it at all with Roboform,
    it saves all the data you enter on the form and gets the field
    labels from the form too.

    > From their Help
    > *****
    > Password - Custom Fields
    > To add custom fields to your password entry go to the
    > Custom Fields tab while adding/editing a password entry.

    > Click Add to create a new field. In order to do this you have to
    > enter a name for the field and the value which the field should have.

    You dont have to do any of that with Roboform, it has all the fields
    already and you only have to put the data in them and you dont even
    have to do that, it will create the fields auto from the one form you fill out.

    > If you check the option Visible in top bar, this custom field will appear
    > in the top bar and you will be able to insert it from there directly.

    You dont have to do that with Robform either. Just tell it to fill out a blank
    form and it works out what data to put in each field in the form auto.

    > Via Edit you can change the value or name of a field subsequently.

    You can do that with Roboform too.

    > Delete erases the field from your list.

    Ditto.

    > Via Move Up and Move Down you can change the order of your custom fields.

    No need when Roboform auto fills forms from the available fields.

    > If you uncheck the option Mask Values you will be able to see the
    > values you entered for each field.

    > Click OK when you have added all desired custom fields.

    You dont have to fart around like that with Roboform.
    Rod Speed, Aug 12, 2011
  14. Rod Speed

    Kele Guest

    I luv Roboform!!! However, I tried a current version and it was overly
    complex with options, so I fell back to version 6.10.1 which is less bloated
    for my needs.
    Kele, Aug 13, 2011