    manager seems to somehow know that it asked about saving the pw info in
    the past and therefore won't ask again. How can I get rid of that so it
    will ask again?

    Stubby, Jun 3, 2005

  2. Stubby uitte de volgende tekst op 3/06/2005 17:14:
    > How does the password manager work? Does it require cookies to be
    > enabled? Any special security settings? Do popups have to be enables?
    >
    > After reconstructing my profile, I still have two sites that fail to ask
    > if I want to remember login info. These are not mentioned in the
    > password manager display and the sites are not blocked.
    >
    > The PW manager works fine with sites that I newly accessed. So, the PW
    > manager seems to somehow know that it asked about saving the pw info in
    > the past and therefore won't ask again. How can I get rid of that so it
    > will ask again?

    Did you look in the _second_ tab in the password manager, those of the
    sites is *doesn't* remember?

    H.

    --
    Hendrik Maryns

    Interesting websites:
    www.lieverleven.be (I cooperate)
    www.eu04.com European Referendum Campaign
    aouw.org The Art Of Urban Warfare

    Hendrik Maryns, Jun 3, 2005

  3. Stubby

    Stubby Guest

    Hendrik Maryns wrote:
    > Stubby uitte de volgende tekst op 3/06/2005 17:14:
    >
    >> How does the password manager work? Does it require cookies to be
    >> enabled? Any special security settings? Do popups have to be enables?
    >>
    >> After reconstructing my profile, I still have two sites that fail to
    >> ask if I want to remember login info. These are not mentioned in the
    >> password manager display and the sites are not blocked.
    >>
    >> The PW manager works fine with sites that I newly accessed. So, the
    >> PW manager seems to somehow know that it asked about saving the pw
    >> info in the past and therefore won't ask again. How can I get rid of
    >> that so it will ask again?

    > Did you look in the _second_ tab in the password manager, those of the
    > sites is *doesn't* remember?

    Thanks. I did check the second tab. No sites listed.

    Stubby, Jun 3, 2005
  4. Stubby

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Stubby wrote:

    > How does the password manager work? Does it require cookies to be
    > enabled? Any special security settings? Do popups have to be enables?

    Basically, the PWM remembers information from a Web page that has login
    form information on it. Be aware, however, that there are sties that
    use a variety of techniques to prevent Mozilla from remembering and
    auto-filling login data as a security measure. Typically these include
    banks and other financially-related sites. It is possible to over-ride
    some of those but not all.

    Cookies will not affect PWM unless not having them enabled will prevent
    you from going to a login page on a Web site. Similarly, if the Web
    site login is a pop-up and you defeat it in Mozilla, you will have problems.

    > After reconstructing my profile, I still have two sites that fail to ask
    > if I want to remember login info. These are not mentioned in the
    > password manager display and the sites are not blocked.
    >
    > The PW manager works fine with sites that I newly accessed. So, the PW
    > manager seems to somehow know that it asked about saving the pw info in
    > the past and therefore won't ask again. How can I get rid of that so it
    > will ask again?

    FIRST, backup your entire profile.

    Here's what I'd do. In Mozilla call up Tools - Cookie Manager - Manage
    Stored Cookies. Search for the sites that aren't working and delete the
    cookies if they exist. Close Mozilla. Navigate to your profile folder
    and open the file xxxxxxxx.s in a text editor. Find the sites that
    aren't working and delete the references. Save the file as a plain-text
    file. Make sure if you use Notepad that it doesn't alter the file
    extension. Restart Mozilla, visit a problem site and see what happens.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net

    Ed Mullen, Jun 3, 2005
  5. Stubby

    Stubby Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Stubby wrote:
    >
    >> How does the password manager work? Does it require cookies to be
    >> enabled? Any special security settings? Do popups have to be enables?
    >>

    > Basically, the PWM remembers information from a Web page that has login
    > form information on it. Be aware, however, that there are sties that
    > use a variety of techniques to prevent Mozilla from remembering and
    > auto-filling login data as a security measure. Typically these include
    > banks and other financially-related sites. It is possible to over-ride
    > some of those but not all.
    >
    > Cookies will not affect PWM unless not having them enabled will prevent
    > you from going to a login page on a Web site. Similarly, if the Web
    > site login is a pop-up and you defeat it in Mozilla, you will have
    > problems.
    >
    >> After reconstructing my profile, I still have two sites that fail to
    >> ask if I want to remember login info. These are not mentioned in the
    >> password manager display and the sites are not blocked.
    >>
    >> The PW manager works fine with sites that I newly accessed. So, the
    >> PW manager seems to somehow know that it asked about saving the pw
    >> info in the past and therefore won't ask again. How can I get rid of
    >> that so it will ask again?

    > FIRST, backup your entire profile.
    >
    > Here's what I'd do. In Mozilla call up Tools - Cookie Manager - Manage
    > Stored Cookies. Search for the sites that aren't working and delete the
    > cookies if they exist. Close Mozilla. Navigate to your profile folder
    > and open the file xxxxxxxx.s in a text editor. Find the sites that
    > aren't working and delete the references. Save the file as a plain-text
    > file. Make sure if you use Notepad that it doesn't alter the file
    > extension. Restart Mozilla, visit a problem site and see what happens.

    Thanks, Ed. There were no cookies that referenced the sites in
    question, so nothing to delete.

    Notepad couldn't make sense of the xxx.s file, but WordPad gobbled it
    down nicely. Again, there were no reference to the non-working sites.

    Bottom line: no changes, no improvement. It's depressing that Mozilla
    doesn't provide some sort of way to figure out what's going on.

    Stubby, Jun 3, 2005
  6. Stubby

    Ed Mullen Guest

    Stubby wrote:

    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >
    >> Stubby wrote:
    >>
    >>> How does the password manager work? Does it require cookies to be
    >>> enabled? Any special security settings? Do popups have to be enables?
    >>>

    >> Basically, the PWM remembers information from a Web page that has
    >> login form information on it. Be aware, however, that there are sties
    >> that use a variety of techniques to prevent Mozilla from remembering
    >> and auto-filling login data as a security measure. Typically these
    >> include banks and other financially-related sites. It is possible to
    >> over-ride some of those but not all.
    >>
    >> Cookies will not affect PWM unless not having them enabled will
    >> prevent you from going to a login page on a Web site. Similarly, if
    >> the Web site login is a pop-up and you defeat it in Mozilla, you will
    >> have problems.
    >>
    >>> After reconstructing my profile, I still have two sites that fail to
    >>> ask if I want to remember login info. These are not mentioned in the
    >>> password manager display and the sites are not blocked.
    >>>
    >>> The PW manager works fine with sites that I newly accessed. So, the
    >>> PW manager seems to somehow know that it asked about saving the pw
    >>> info in the past and therefore won't ask again. How can I get rid of
    >>> that so it will ask again?

    >> FIRST, backup your entire profile.
    >>
    >> Here's what I'd do. In Mozilla call up Tools - Cookie Manager -
    >> Manage Stored Cookies. Search for the sites that aren't working and
    >> delete the cookies if they exist. Close Mozilla. Navigate to your
    >> profile folder and open the file xxxxxxxx.s in a text editor. Find
    >> the sites that aren't working and delete the references. Save the
    >> file as a plain-text file. Make sure if you use Notepad that it
    >> doesn't alter the file extension. Restart Mozilla, visit a problem
    >> site and see what happens.
    >>

    > Thanks, Ed. There were no cookies that referenced the sites in
    > question, so nothing to delete.
    >
    > Notepad couldn't make sense of the xxx.s file, but WordPad gobbled it
    > down nicely. Again, there were no reference to the non-working sites.
    >
    > Bottom line: no changes, no improvement. It's depressing that Mozilla
    > doesn't provide some sort of way to figure out what's going on.

    Two thoughts. One, your User Agent says you're using Mozilla 1.7.3.
    Update to 1.7.8 if for no other reason than the security fixes.

    Second, you might try creating a new profile to see if that fixes the pw
    problem. If so you can then migrate your data from the old profile.
    Holler if you need help on that.

    --
    Ed Mullen
    http://edmullen.net
    http://edmullen.net/Mozilla/moz.html
    I always take life with a grain of salt, plus a slice of lemon and a
    shot of tequila.

    Ed Mullen, Jun 4, 2005
  7. Stubby

    Stubby Guest

    Ed Mullen wrote:
    > Stubby wrote:
    >
    >> Ed Mullen wrote:

    >>> Basically, the PWM remembers information from a Web page that has
    >>> login form information on it. Be aware, however, that there are
    >>> sties that use a variety of techniques to prevent Mozilla from
    >>> remembering and auto-filling login data as a security measure.
    >>> Typically these include banks and other financially-related sites.
    >>> It is possible to over-ride some of those but not all.
    >>>
    >>> Cookies will not affect PWM unless not having them enabled will
    >>> prevent you from going to a login page on a Web site. Similarly, if
    >>> the Web site login is a pop-up and you defeat it in Mozilla, you will
    >>> have problems.

    >>> FIRST, backup your entire profile.
    >>>
    >>> Here's what I'd do. In Mozilla call up Tools - Cookie Manager -
    >>> Manage Stored Cookies. Search for the sites that aren't working and
    >>> delete the cookies if they exist. Close Mozilla. Navigate to your
    >>> profile folder and open the file xxxxxxxx.s in a text editor. Find
    >>> the sites that aren't working and delete the references. Save the
    >>> file as a plain-text file. Make sure if you use Notepad that it
    >>> doesn't alter the file extension. Restart Mozilla, visit a problem
    >>> site and see what happens.
    >>>

    >> Thanks, Ed. There were no cookies that referenced the sites in
    >> question, so nothing to delete.
    >>
    >> Notepad couldn't make sense of the xxx.s file, but WordPad gobbled it
    >> down nicely. Again, there were no reference to the non-working sites.
    >>
    >> Bottom line: no changes, no improvement. It's depressing that Mozilla
    >> doesn't provide some sort of way to figure out what's going on.

    > Two thoughts. One, your User Agent says you're using Mozilla 1.7.3.
    > Update to 1.7.8 if for no other reason than the security fixes.
    >
    > Second, you might try creating a new profile to see if that fixes the pw
    > problem. If so you can then migrate your data from the old profile.
    > Holler if you need help on that.

    Updating to Mozilla 1.7.8 did not change the PW Mgr situation: On some
    of my sites, it no longer knows the user/password and when I enter them,
    the PW Mgr does not ask if I want them stored.

    I always mess things up when I try to create a new profile with the same
    name as an old one. I'll try just using a dummy profile to see if PWM
    works and then compare files against my broken profile.

    Can somebody point me to the source code for the Password Manager? I
    would like to read through it so see if I can spot the problem, but I
    don't want to set up to build all of Mozilla. Thanks.

    Stubby, Jun 5, 2005
  8. Stubby

    Stubby Guest

    Stubby wrote:

    > Ed Mullen wrote:
    >
    >> Stubby wrote:

    >>> Thanks, Ed. There were no cookies that referenced the sites in
    >>> question, so nothing to delete.
    >>>
    >>> Notepad couldn't make sense of the xxx.s file, but WordPad gobbled it
    >>> down nicely. Again, there were no reference to the non-working sites.
    >>>
    >>> Bottom line: no changes, no improvement. It's depressing that
    >>> Mozilla doesn't provide some sort of way to figure out what's going on.

    >> Two thoughts. One, your User Agent says you're using Mozilla 1.7.3.
    >> Update to 1.7.8 if for no other reason than the security fixes.
    >>
    >> Second, you might try creating a new profile to see if that fixes the
    >> pw problem. If so you can then migrate your data from the old
    >> profile. Holler if you need help on that.

    > Updating to Mozilla 1.7.8 did not change the PW Mgr situation: On some
    > of my sites, it no longer knows the user/password and when I enter them,
    > the PW Mgr does not ask if I want them stored.
    >
    > I always mess things up when I try to create a new profile with the same
    > name as an old one. I'll try just using a dummy profile to see if PWM
    > works and then compare files against my broken profile.
    >
    > Can somebody point me to the source code for the Password Manager? I
    > would like to read through it so see if I can spot the problem, but I
    > don't want to set up to build all of Mozilla. Thanks.

    I tried creating new profile. Then I connected to a web site that was
    failing to trigger the Password Manger. It still fails. Other sites
    work properly to insert user/password. So, the troublesome sites must
    be using some alternate method to ask for the user & password.

    Stubby, Jun 6, 2005