    Any suggestions?

    --
    Ray Greene

    Ray Greene, Dec 17, 2006

  2. Ray Greene

    whome Guest

    "Ray Greene" <> wrote in message
    news:...
    > I'm looking for a password manager. It must be cross-platform
    > (Win/Linux) and able to be run from a USB stick. Small and simple are
    > good.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >
    > --
    > Ray Greene

    keepass. Not sure if it runs under linux though. freeware, one of the best
    I have used.

    whome, Dec 17, 2006

  3. Ray Greene

    cobs Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > I'm looking for a password manager. It must be cross-platform
    > (Win/Linux) and able to be run from a USB stick. Small and simple are
    > good.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    You might want to take a look at Password Safe.
    http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/

    Originally from Counterpane, open source since 2002.

    Password Safe runs under Windows, but the database format is used by a
    few *nix clones, see: http://passwordsafe.sourceforge.net/#RelatedProjects

    ...I use it as I have an inherent distrust of browser based password
    managers. I haven't tried running the Windows client from a usb stick
    though - or any of the clones. YMMV.

    cobs, Dec 17, 2006
  4. Ray Greene

    jasen Guest

    On 2006-12-17, Ray Greene <> wrote:
    > I'm looking for a password manager. It must be cross-platform
    > (Win/Linux) and able to be run from a USB stick. Small and simple are
    > good.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    thumbprint-secured memory stick with a text file.

    Bye.
    Jasen

    jasen, Dec 17, 2006
  5. Ray Greene

    Earl Grey Guest

    Earl Grey, Dec 17, 2006
  6. Ray Greene

    -=rjh=- Guest

    Ray Greene wrote:
    > I'm looking for a password manager. It must be cross-platform
    > (Win/Linux) and able to be run from a USB stick. Small and simple are
    > good.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    Heh, don't do what a neighbour of mine did - kept all his passwords in a
    file called passwords.doc on his PC :)

    -=rjh=-, Dec 17, 2006
  7. In message <4585d82a$>, -=rjh=- wrote:

    > Ray Greene wrote:
    >
    >> I'm looking for a password manager. It must be cross-platform
    >> (Win/Linux) and able to be run from a USB stick. Small and simple are
    >> good.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>

    > Heh, don't do what a neighbour of mine did - kept all his passwords in a
    > file called passwords.doc on his PC :)

    Why, what happened--did he upgrade to a new version of Word and find he
    couldn't open the old file any more? :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 18, 2006
  8. Ray Greene

    Rob Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <4585d82a$>, -=rjh=- wrote:
    >
    >> Ray Greene wrote:
    >>
    >>> I'm looking for a password manager. It must be cross-platform
    >>> (Win/Linux) and able to be run from a USB stick. Small and simple are
    >>> good.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?
    >>>

    >> Heh, don't do what a neighbour of mine did - kept all his passwords in a
    >> file called passwords.doc on his PC :)

    > Why, what happened--did he upgrade to a new version of Word and find he
    > couldn't open the old file any more? :)

    Or password the doc then forget that password? :)

    --

    Rob
    http://aspir8or.googlepages.com/linux_links

    "If you want to make an apple pie from scratch, you must first create
    the universe." - Carl Sagan

    Rob, Dec 18, 2006
  9. In message <>, Rob wrote:

    > Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:

    >>> Heh, don't do what a neighbour of mine did - kept all his passwords in a
    >>> file called passwords.doc on his PC :)

    >> Why, what happened--did he upgrade to a new version of Word and find he
    >> couldn't open the old file any more? :)

    > Or password the doc then forget that password? :)

    Yes, that did occur to me. But I didn't think Microsoft password-protection
    would be much of an obstacle. :)

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 18, 2006
  10. Ray Greene

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 14:33:24 +1300, Ray Greene wrote:

    > I'm looking for a password manager. It must be cross-platform
    > (Win/Linux) and able to be run from a USB stick. Small and simple are
    > good.
    >
    > Any suggestions?

    I've got an old one I use for Windows, but it's no good for Linux. It
    requires no install so it's fine off a USB stick.

    Craig Shore, Dec 18, 2006
  11. Ray Greene

    Ray Greene Guest

    On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 14:33:24 +1300, Ray Greene <> wrote:

    >I'm looking for a password manager. It must be cross-platform
    >(Win/Linux) and able to be run from a USB stick. Small and simple are
    >good.
    >
    >Any suggestions?

    Thanks for the suggestions everyone, I'll have a look at Keepass.

    --
    Ray Greene

    Ray Greene, Dec 18, 2006
  12. Ray Greene

    Craig Shore Guest

    On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 10:42:02 +1300, Earl Grey <> wrote:

    >Ray Greene wrote:
    >> I'm looking for a password manager. It must be cross-platform
    >> (Win/Linux) and able to be run from a USB stick. Small and simple are
    >> good.
    >>
    >> Any suggestions?
    >>

    >Keypass for Windows
    >http://keepass.sourceforge.net/
    >KeypassX for Linux.
    >http://keepassx.sourceforge.net/

    I got this and installed it in Ubuntu, but now don't know where it
    installed to. This is probably a really dumb question, but how do I
    find the bit you run?

    Craig Shore, Dec 18, 2006
  13. Ray Greene

    Shane Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:

    > I got this and installed it in Ubuntu, but now don't know where it
    > installed to. This is probably a really dumb question, but how do I
    > find the bit you run?

    Traditional wisdom would suggest using the which command
    eg.
    $ which keypass

    Failing that, there may have been an update of the man pages, which leads me
    to apropos
    eg.
    $ apropos keypass

    Still stuck?
    Update the slocate database, and search that
    eg.
    $ sudo updatedb
    $ locate -i keypass

    (Use the -i switch to make your search caps insensitive)

    Failing that.., look at the documentation?

    --
    "Man is the best computer we can put aboard a spacecraft . . . and the
    only one that can be mass produced with unskilled labor."

    By: "Wernher von Braun"

    blog: http://shanes.dyndns.org

    Shane, Dec 19, 2006
  14. Ray Greene

    Earl Grey Guest

    Craig Shore wrote:
    > On Mon, 18 Dec 2006 10:42:02 +1300, Earl Grey <> wrote:
    >
    >> Ray Greene wrote:
    >>> I'm looking for a password manager. It must be cross-platform
    >>> (Win/Linux) and able to be run from a USB stick. Small and simple are
    >>> good.
    >>>
    >>> Any suggestions?
    >>>

    >> Keypass for Windows
    >> http://keepass.sourceforge.net/
    >> KeypassX for Linux.
    >> http://keepassx.sourceforge.net/

    > I got this and installed it in Ubuntu, but now don't know where it
    > installed to. This is probably a really dumb question, but how do I
    > find the bit you run?

    Try Alt F2 and enter the name of the app and click run.

    Earl Grey, Dec 19, 2006
  15. In message <>, Craig Shore wrote:

    > I got this and installed it in Ubuntu, but now don't know where it
    > installed to.

    It should automatically appear in a menu somewhere. That's how it works when
    I install GUI apps under SuSE.

    Failing which, with RPM, there are commands I know of to search for
    particular package names and find out where those files are. Presumably the
    same thing is possible with the Debian-based packaging that Ubuntu uses.

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Dec 20, 2006
  16. Ray Greene

    Rob Guest

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro wrote:
    > In message <>, Craig Shore wrote:
    >
    >> I got this and installed it in Ubuntu, but now don't know where it
    >> installed to.

    > It should automatically appear in a menu somewhere. That's how it works when
    > I install GUI apps under SuSE.
    >
    > Failing which, with RPM, there are commands I know of to search for
    > particular package names and find out where those files are. Presumably the
    > same thing is possible with the Debian-based packaging that Ubuntu uses.

    Yep, it installs into Accessories from the main menu.

    --

    Rob
    http://aspir8or.googlepages.com/

    M.C.S.E :- Minesweeper Consultant & Solitaire Expert

    Rob, Dec 20, 2006