    Walter Gildersleeve
    Freiburg, Germany
    , Oct 7, 2005

  2. Winged Guest

    wrote:
    > Hi,
    >
    > I've just created a password generator beta, and would be interested in
    > getting feedback on it. It's JSP/Java-based, and can be found at
    > http://devhed.com/password-creator.
    >
    > The "About" page has a quick survey on it for you to fill out.
    >
    > Thanks,
    >
    > Walter Gildersleeve
    > Freiburg, Germany

    Well initial thought of password gen was cool, then I realized it gave
    the same random complex passwords repeatedly. Didn't try either of the
    other options due to lack of security of method.

    Winged
    Winged, Oct 13, 2005

  3. Guest

    > it gave the same random complex passwords repeatedly

    I think it only *appears* to. What browser are you using? It seems
    that mozilla only resubmits a form if you change something in the form;
    if you repeatedly click "submit," nothing happens. I'm working on a
    work-around now.

    > due to lack of security of method

    is this related to the above comment? Or do you mean something else
    (ie, no https, for instance)?
    , Oct 19, 2005
  4. Guest

    I've added a Mozilla hack--it appears to have solved the problem. All
    I'm doing is adding a hidden, random input field to the password form,
    therebye making Mozilla think the data has changed, even when it
    hasn't.

    Thanks for the tip!
    , Oct 19, 2005
  5. Winged Guest

    wrote:
    >>it gave the same random complex passwords repeatedly

    > I think it only *appears* to. What browser are you using? It seems
    > that mozilla only resubmits a form if you change something in the form;
    > if you repeatedly click "submit," nothing happens. I'm working on a
    > work-around now.
    >

    >>due to lack of security of method

    > is this related to the above comment? Or do you mean something else
    > (ie, no https, for instance)?

    If (BIG IF) I were using a web generated password generator, I would
    want it in a secure pipe. Yes, I was using Firefox. Would never try an
    untrusted site with IE. Of course I would never get passwords from one
    either:p

    But the examples of the complex password I saw (working from memory now)
    did not seem to be extremely complex in password formation. I would
    prefer at least 2 chars from each of the 4 char sets in a more random
    pattern. There is an old free utility on the net called password safe
    that does a reasonable job at creating random passwords at a user
    defined length, of course it remembers them for me too... Though it is
    even more useful to also include alt codes for chars not readily entered
    for even higher security. Let me know when you fix the Firefox issue,
    curious to see it work.

    Winged.
    Winged, Oct 20, 2005