Password fields should not be interrupted by (messaging) pop-ups...

Discussion in 'Windows 64bit' started by Skybuck Flying, Mar 10, 2010.

  1. Hello,

    I like to share a short story with you how I once told somebody my password
    by accident:

    I was trying to login to hotmail/my account and at the same time msn
    messenger/windows live, game/chat rooms and what not were active...

    As I was about to type in my password, a (messaging) pop-up occured, I can't
    remember exactly... but it was probably a windows live messenger message
    pop-up...

    I was probably looking at my keyboard trying to type in my password... or
    because I coudn't see what I was typing... I typed in my password into msn
    messenger/windows live/message and quickly pressed enter... (I was also very
    busy that day, with chatting and helping people out... it was kinda
    hectic...)

    So in all that hectic I made a mistake... but mostly because of the pop-up
    which "stole the focus from what I was trying to do/accomplish (which was
    trying to login securely)".

    The moral of the story and the tip for the future how this could have been
    prevented by the operating system/software:

    "Password fields should not be allowed to be "interrupted"".

    Anyway... as soon as I realized what happened... I immediatly logged in to
    my account, and changed my password before anybody could figure out what the
    hell I was babling about ;) :)

    It kinda sux... because now I am stuck with a password that I didn't really
    want :)

    So that's why I am kinda telling this story... and it could also some day
    have some nasty consequences for other people... (<-if it isn't fixed...)
    for example: people who can't change the password (so fast or not at all)
    once it gets revealed...

    Bye,
    Skybuck.

    Skybuck Flying, Mar 10, 2010