    --
    Please respond to the newsgroup only. Email sent to this account goes
    unread.
    poster3814, May 2, 2007

  2. poster3814

    Zilbandy Guest

    On Wed, 02 May 2007 03:22:15 GMT, poster3814
    <> wrote:

    >Are there password dictionary files whose entries aren't just single
    >words but rather 2 or 3 words of maybe 6 letters or less concatenated?
    >For example, "they red solids" are 3 words of 6 letters or less that
    >concatenated would be "theyredsolids." Are there such dictionary files
    >downloadable, or is there a relatively easy way one could be created?

    You might take a peek at "Diceware".
    http://world.std.com/~reinhold/diceware.html

    Your first impression may be to dismiss this idea totally. Before you
    do, read the page and pay attention to sections explaining the
    security of this idea. Look at the FAQ.

    --
    Zilbandy
    Zilbandy, May 2, 2007

  3. poster3814

    poster3814 Guest

    Zilbandy wrote:
    > On Wed, 02 May 2007 03:22:15 GMT, poster3814
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Are there password dictionary files whose entries aren't just single
    >> words but rather 2 or 3 words of maybe 6 letters or less concatenated?
    >> For example, "they red solids" are 3 words of 6 letters or less that
    >> concatenated would be "theyredsolids." Are there such dictionary files
    >> downloadable, or is there a relatively easy way one could be created?

    > You might take a peek at "Diceware".
    > http://world.std.com/~reinhold/diceware.html
    >
    > Your first impression may be to dismiss this idea totally. Before you
    > do, read the page and pay attention to sections explaining the
    > security of this idea. Look at the FAQ.

    Thank you for your reply. Diceware sounds like a great method of
    creating passphrases. I guess what I'm interested in, though, is either:
    complete passphrase dictionaries; OR a program I can use to create
    complete passphrase dictionaries. I've tried searching the Internet some
    but haven't found any yet.
    poster3814, May 3, 2007
  4. poster3814

    Arthur T. Guest

    In
    poster3814 <> wrote:

    >Are there password dictionary files whose entries aren't just single
    >words but rather 2 or 3 words of maybe 6 letters or less concatenated?
    >For example, "they red solids" are 3 words of 6 letters or less that
    >concatenated would be "theyredsolids." Are there such dictionary files
    >downloadable, or is there a relatively easy way one could be created?

    To solve a recent puzzle, I took the dictionary for an
    anagram program, and pulled off all 5-letter words. There were
    about 5800 of them. If I wanted to create a dictionary of all
    3-word combinations of them, it would take over a terabyte to hold
    the almost 200e9 combinations. If you add in the 6-letter,
    4-letter, 3-letter, and 2-letter words, and also all of the 2-word
    combos, it comes to quite a large amount of disk space, to say
    nothing of the time it'll take to process it.

    --
    Arthur T. - ar23hur "at" intergate "dot" com
    Looking for a z/OS (IBM mainframe) systems programmer position
    Arthur T., May 3, 2007
  5. poster3814

    Arthur T. Guest

    In Message-ID:<>,
    Arthur T. <> wrote:

    >>Are there password dictionary files whose entries aren't just single
    >>words but rather 2 or 3 words of maybe 6 letters or less concatenated?
    >>For example, "they red solids" are 3 words of 6 letters or less that
    >>concatenated would be "theyredsolids." Are there such dictionary files
    >>downloadable, or is there a relatively easy way one could be created?

    > To solve a recent puzzle, I took the dictionary for an
    >anagram program, and pulled off all 5-letter words. There were
    >about 5800 of them. If I wanted to create a dictionary of all
    >3-word combinations of them, it would take over a terabyte to hold
    >the almost 200e9 combinations.

    Slight correction to my computation. It would take about 3
    terabytes.

    Arthur T., May 3, 2007
  6. poster3814

    poster3814 Guest

    Arthur T. wrote:
    > In Message-ID:<>,
    > Arthur T. <> wrote:
    >
    >>> Are there password dictionary files whose entries aren't just single
    >>> words but rather 2 or 3 words of maybe 6 letters or less concatenated?
    >>> For example, "they red solids" are 3 words of 6 letters or less that
    >>> concatenated would be "theyredsolids." Are there such dictionary files
    >>> downloadable, or is there a relatively easy way one could be created?

    >> To solve a recent puzzle, I took the dictionary for an
    >> anagram program, and pulled off all 5-letter words. There were
    >> about 5800 of them. If I wanted to create a dictionary of all
    >> 3-word combinations of them, it would take over a terabyte to hold
    >> the almost 200e9 combinations.

    > Slight correction to my computation. It would take about 3
    > terabytes.

    Hmm. Well, that would be an issue. Oh, well.

    Thanks very much for responding.
    poster3814, May 10, 2007
  7. poster3814

    Unruh Guest

    poster3814 <> writes:

    >Arthur T. wrote:

    >>> To solve a recent puzzle, I took the dictionary for an
    >>> anagram program, and pulled off all 5-letter words. There were
    >>> about 5800 of them. If I wanted to create a dictionary of all
    >>> 3-word combinations of them, it would take over a terabyte to hold
    >>> the almost 200e9 combinations.

    >> Slight correction to my computation. It would take about 3
    >> terabytes.
    >>

    >Hmm. Well, that would be an issue. Oh, well.

    The other question is why do you want to do this? Precisely because there
    are so many combination, these can infact make for good passwords.
    Unruh, May 10, 2007
  8. poster3814

    poster3814 Guest

    Unruh wrote:
    > poster3814 <> writes:
    >
    >> Arthur T. wrote:

    >>> Slight correction to my computation. It would take about 3
    >>> terabytes.
    >>>

    >> Hmm. Well, that would be an issue. Oh, well.

    > The other question is why do you want to do this? Precisely because there
    > are so many combination, these can infact make for good passwords.

    I was kind of sort of thinking along those lines, too.

    No big reason why I asked this, though, but a few small reasons,
    probably not interesting enough for me to waste anyone's time explaining.

    Thanks for replying, though.
    poster3814, Jun 5, 2007
  9. poster3814

    nemo_outis Guest

    poster3814 <> wrote in

    > I was kind of sort of thinking along those lines, too.
    >
    > No big reason why I asked this, though, but a few small reasons,
    > probably not interesting enough for me to waste anyone's time
    > explaining.
    >
    > Thanks for replying, though.

    Diceware goes some distance along these lines.

    http://world.std.com/~reinhold/diceware.html

    Regards,
    nemo_outis, Jun 5, 2007