    authenticity).... If there is anyone that can provide me with software or
    let me know what sort of software that can be used for this program to find
    out whether there is anything untoward on the laptop please let me know.....

    Chris Suckling, Nov 29, 2006

  2. Chris Suckling

    Baron Guest

    Chris Suckling wrote:

    > I would like to know if there is a way of decoding a password which
    > has been set up using microsoft windows XP within a laptop that i have
    > recently purchased through an auction, (have authority from the
    > company to prove authenticity).... If there is anyone that can provide
    > me with software or let me know what sort of software that can be used
    > for this program to find out whether there is anything untoward on the
    > laptop please let me know.....

    Maybe! Depends upon how locked down it is !

    --
    Baron:

    Baron, Nov 29, 2006

  3. The problem i have is with the password related to the username which are on
    the pc...from the sake of curiosity there are four usernames on pc two of
    which do not require a password... however i would like to find out what has
    been put on the harddrive to ensure that there is nothing dodgy whatsoever
    on there....from this i would like to find out who last used the pc and for
    what purpose, it is not at present internet connected.... tho im not sure
    whether that is the case when the last user had the pc......

    Chris Suckling, Nov 29, 2006
  4. Chris Suckling wrote:
    > I would like to know if there is a way of decoding a password which has been
    > set up using microsoft windows XP within a laptop that i have recently
    > purchased through an auction, (have authority from the company to prove
    > authenticity).... If there is anyone that can provide me with software or
    > let me know what sort of software that can be used for this program to find
    > out whether there is anything untoward on the laptop please let me know.....

    If you have the Administrator password you can look at any part of the
    disk you like. Just browse through the "Documents and Settings" folder
    tree. You would have no need to log on as the users you don't have
    passwords for as long as one of the is not "Administrator".

    If you don't have the Administrator password, and Windows XP was
    included as part of the sale, you should go back to the vendor and get
    it from him/her.

    Julian Treadwell, Nov 30, 2006
  5. Julian

    The problem is that in my haste i had purchased this laptop through an
    auction where the rule is if you get the winning bid.. you buy the product
    as it was seen in this case it didnt have any CD associated with it, as a
    result ....i bought a pc that has 4 usernames on it with only 2 access
    points to use the pc.... no power cable or point associated with the product
    so have had to purchase the powerpack but have not got a three clover plug
    for the item..........would now like to find out what item has got on its
    harddrive sounds sad i know but it intrigues me...

    Chris Suckling, Nov 30, 2006
  6. Chris Suckling

    Baron Guest

    Chris Suckling wrote:

    > The problem i have is with the password related to the username which
    > are on the pc...from the sake of curiosity there are four usernames on
    > pc two of which do not require a password... however i would like to
    > find out what has been put on the harddrive to ensure that there is
    > nothing dodgy whatsoever on there....from this i would like to find
    > out who last used the pc and for what purpose, it is not at present
    > internet connected.... tho im not sure whether that is the case when
    > the last user had the pc......

    Might just be easier to just format it and re-install. If there is
    anything dodgy on there.... You don't want to know !

    --
    Baron:

    Baron, Nov 30, 2006
  7. Chris Suckling

    John Guest

    On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 19:49:58 GMT, "Chris Suckling"
    <> wrote:

    >Julian
    >
    >The problem is that in my haste i had purchased this laptop through an
    >auction where the rule is if you get the winning bid.. you buy the product
    >as it was seen in this case it didnt have any CD associated with it, as a
    >result ....i bought a pc that has 4 usernames on it with only 2 access
    >points to use the pc.... no power cable or point associated with the product
    >so have had to purchase the powerpack but have not got a three clover plug
    >for the item..........would now like to find out what item has got on its
    >harddrive sounds sad i know but it intrigues me...

    Just create your own sign on with admin rights. Log on, then search
    the hard drive to see what's on it.

    John

    John, Nov 30, 2006
  8. Chris Suckling

    k wallace Guest

    John wrote:
    > On Thu, 30 Nov 2006 19:49:58 GMT, "Chris Suckling"
    > <> wrote:
    >
    >> Julian
    >>
    >> The problem is that in my haste i had purchased this laptop through an
    >> auction where the rule is if you get the winning bid.. you buy the product
    >> as it was seen in this case it didnt have any CD associated with it, as a
    >> result ....i bought a pc that has 4 usernames on it with only 2 access
    >> points to use the pc.... no power cable or point associated with the product
    >> so have had to purchase the powerpack but have not got a three clover plug
    >> for the item..........would now like to find out what item has got on its
    >> harddrive sounds sad i know but it intrigues me...

    > Just create your own sign on with admin rights. Log on, then search
    > the hard drive to see what's on it.
    >
    > John

    Or, boot into Safe mode and delete all the user's passwords from control
    panel IIRC. (that might not be the exact way to do it; I did it a few
    years ago.) But I know that you don't need to know them to delete them.
    (Had to do that for my daughter's acct. when she forgot her password;
    both had admin acct's). Just F8 into Safe mode. You can find a
    procedure to do it via google.
    k wallace

    k wallace, Dec 1, 2006
  9. An update to this problem has been that i was able to turn off the user
    password which enabled me to look at the files that were on display....

    Would like to find out what has been on the registry from the files that
    were on the system before it was wiped clean tho so if anyone has any ideas
    as to what to look for in searching the registry this would be
    appreciated....

    Chris Suckling, Dec 2, 2006
  10. Chris Suckling

    Engineer Guest