    and quality wise)...

    Thanks in advance,
    Ben
    Pie, Jan 31, 2004

  2. Pie

    Brad Guest

    In article <>,
    said...
    > I hear inkjets are not a good idea for passport photos as
    > colors fade in time and may be volunerable to other
    > environmental factors.
    >
    > What about dye sublimation prints (Kodak Picture Maker in drug
    > stores)? Can they produce passport quality pictures (durability
    > and quality wise)...

    A passport only lasts 10 years. If the photo is laminated or protected
    from fingers and considering the fact that the passport is closed for
    almost all of its life, I have to imagine an inkjet print would be more
    than adequate.
    Brad, Jan 31, 2004

  3. Pie

    Tony Spadaro Guest

    I would assume the places that take the pictures would know the government
    rules on passport photos. I know Polaroids are considered okay for passports
    as they will usually last longer than the passport is good.

    --
    http://www.chapelhillnoir.com
    home of The Camera-ist's Manifesto

    Tony Spadaro, Jan 31, 2004
  4. Pie

    adam drew Guest

    Pie wrote:
    > I hear inkjets are not a good idea for passport photos as
    > colors fade in time and may be volunerable to other
    > environmental factors.
    >
    > What about dye sublimation prints (Kodak Picture Maker in drug
    > stores)? Can they produce passport quality pictures (durability
    > and quality wise)...
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Ben

    I recently got a new passport and was a bit surprised to see that they'd
    scanned the photo I'd submitted and digitally printed my mug onto the
    page in the passport.

    So it probably doesn't matter how the picture was produced, as long as
    the dots are small enough to look like a real photo.

    Adam
    adam drew, Jan 31, 2004
  5. Pie

    Guest

    On 31 Jan 2004 00:43:24 -0800, (Pie) wrote:

    >I hear inkjets are not a good idea for passport photos as
    >colors fade in time and may be volunerable to other
    >environmental factors.
    >
    >What about dye sublimation prints (Kodak Picture Maker in drug
    >stores)? Can they produce passport quality pictures (durability
    >and quality wise)...
    >
    >Thanks in advance,
    >Ben

    I did my passport pic on my inkjet nearly 4 years ago. It's still
    looking good. Can't say the same for me though.

    MJ
    , Jan 31, 2004
  6. In article <EnTSb.12267$>,
    adam drew <> wrote:

    > Pie wrote:
    > > I hear inkjets are not a good idea for passport photos as
    > > colors fade in time and may be volunerable to other
    > > environmental factors.
    > >
    > > What about dye sublimation prints (Kodak Picture Maker in drug
    > > stores)? Can they produce passport quality pictures (durability
    > > and quality wise)...
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance,
    > > Ben

    > I recently got a new passport and was a bit surprised to see that they'd
    > scanned the photo I'd submitted and digitally printed my mug onto the
    > page in the passport.
    >
    > So it probably doesn't matter how the picture was produced, as long as
    > the dots are small enough to look like a real photo.
    >
    > Adam

    Same here. I did lots of testing to make sure that my print was heat
    and solvent resistant as required by passport specifications. What came
    back was a low resolution print directly on the passport paper.
    Kevin McMurtrie, Jan 31, 2004
  7. Pie

    Ron Hunter Guest

    adam drew wrote:

    > Pie wrote:
    >
    >> I hear inkjets are not a good idea for passport photos as
    >> colors fade in time and may be volunerable to other
    >> environmental factors.
    >>
    >> What about dye sublimation prints (Kodak Picture Maker in drug
    >> stores)? Can they produce passport quality pictures (durability
    >> and quality wise)...
    >>
    >> Thanks in advance,
    >> Ben

    > I recently got a new passport and was a bit surprised to see that they'd
    > scanned the photo I'd submitted and digitally printed my mug onto the
    > page in the passport.
    >
    > So it probably doesn't matter how the picture was produced, as long as
    > the dots are small enough to look like a real photo.
    >
    > Adam

    Interesting. They used to require that the photos be able to survive
    the heat of the lamination process. I guess they decided that scanning
    and printing directly onto the page was a better security method.
    Should make replacing a picture more difficult....
    Ron Hunter, Feb 1, 2004