passion for programming but need a little direction

Discussion in 'MCAD' started by jqpdev, Nov 29, 2003.

  1. jqpdev

    jqpdev Guest

    Hello all,

    I really enjoy programming. I'm curious about how the MCAD/MCSD certs are
    being viewed in the minds of employers. I've only experimented with VB, and
    did a medium sized project in Excel97/VBA for a prior employer. I've also
    experimented with C++, Turbo Pascal, Delphi, and C++ Builder. I can write
    and debug code and use DB's like SQL7 & 2000, Interbase, Access. However, I
    don't have experience with MS Tools beyond VB. I also don't have any
    professional developer experience on my resume. So I have four questions:

    1 - How much leverage/credibility does the MCAD/MCSD certs buy me?
    2 - Will either certification be enough to get me into the market at $60K
    and above?
    3 - Which tool has a better market opportunities VB or C#?
    4 - About how long does it take to get certified (MCAD/MCSD) and are most
    folks going instructor-led or self-paced?

    TIA

    jqpdev, Nov 29, 2003

  2. jqpdev

    Ben Guest

    Here are some possible answers to your questions:

    1 - How much leverage/credibility does the MCAD/MCSD certs
    buy me?

    Since .NET is new the certification helps in getting in
    the door.

    2 - Will either certification be enough to get me into the
    market at $60K and above?

    I think MCAD is enough to get you into the market however
    please note that MCSD is the best.

    3 - Which tool has a better market opportunities VB or C#?

    C# is the language of choice for .NET!! (but you really
    need to know both!!!)

    4 - About how long does it take to get certified
    (MCAD/MCSD) and are most
    folks going instructor-led or self-paced?

    Depending on your experience and dedication I would say
    that it takes a month for each test if you go with self
    studying. So, you are talking about 3 to 6 months of
    studying to get MCAD (three exams).

    There are no good training courses (in my opinion)
    currently available to prepare you for the test. So, you
    are basically on your own. But there are some good books
    on .NET that you can start studying.

    Hope this helped.

    Ben

    Ben, Nov 30, 2003

  3. jqpdev

    jqpdev Guest

    Thanks for the quick response. I picked up some books and a .NET magazine
    (www.code-magazine) last night after my initial post. So far I like what I
    see. Since I have prior experience with C++, VB, Delphi, I will be able to
    pickup the syntax pretty fast. I can pick up the VB.NET syntax quickly, but
    I'm quickly developing a preference for the C# syntax.

    Here are the books I picked up:
    - "C# and the .NET Platform 2nd Ed." by Andrew Troelsen
    - "MCAD/MCSD Developing and Implementing Windows-based Apps. with VB.NET and
    VS.NET Exam 70-306 Training Guide" by Mike Gunerloy
    - "MCAD/MCSD Developing and Implementing Web Apps. with VB.NET and VS.NET
    Exam 70-305 Training Guide" by Mike Gunerloy

    Troelson seems to be a good writer, and his books seems like a "good learn
    the tools and the .NET technology book". It doesn't strike me as being exam
    prep. specific. I haven't gone into the the other two books yet. Any
    opinions on the books/authors?

    I'm entertaining the idea of returning the last two books and exchaning them
    for the 70-315 and 70-316 Exam Training guides by Amit Kanali. Any thoughts
    on the Kanali books?

    > I think MCAD is enough to get you into the market however
    > please note that MCSD is the best.

    I will shoot for the MCAD first and later the MCSD.

    jqpdev, Nov 30, 2003
  4. jqpdev

    Guest Guest

    After retiring in 1998 circumstances forced me to resume
    working life recently. The last time I programmed, COM
    seemed to be the hot topic (I was an engineer self taught
    in C++/MFC on the side), so I ordered Troelsen's "COM and
    ATL 3.0" from Amazon. Began plowing through it, and
    ordered the new .Net Developer Studio (I still had an old
    6.0). After two or three weeks, it began to dawn on me
    that something was drastically wrong. I ordered
    Troelsen's "C# and the .NET Platform" because I liked his
    writing style (I expect the second edition will be even
    better). This got me started on the right track. I found
    the books from various Wintellect authors (Prosise,
    Richter, Esposito) to be excellent. The Kalani books
    could be a lot better, but they are useful, and have
    their place in exam preparation. I used at least a dozen
    other books as well, and passed the MCAD in September -
    though the essay/raw framework/notepad exam was tough
    (That's a joke - and a good one - for those who haven't
    caught on yet).

    Guest, Dec 1, 2003
  5. jqpdev

    Humanity Guest

    Definitely get the Amit Kalani books instead :)

    Humanity, Dec 1, 2003