    networkconnections. You should really know what kind of
    troubleshooting you do at a certain problem, like what is
    the cause of an APIPA-address and how do you solve it.

    Xandra, Mar 30, 2005

  2. Xandra

    Smiss Guest

    I would hope that you would know that kind of stuff? Did
    you expect the exam to be easy? Like "where is the start
    menu"?

    Smiss, Mar 31, 2005

  3. Xandra

    wexmary Guest

    Badger:

    Wexmary here.

    I sympathize with Xandra:

    I had a question regarding that 169.254. and I know that
    subject quite well, the automatically assigned IP
    address. None of the answers on the question were right,
    if the PC has that IP and nobody else on network is down,
    we do a cold reboot on the PC, no questions asked. That
    was not a choice. Although renewing the IP should work,
    in the real world, it often doesn't. Also, in many
    networks, a user or even a help desk tech does not have
    rights to renew IP.

    There were several questions that I had real hands-on
    experience that on and my organization's procedures were
    different than the answers offered. So you wind up not
    choosing the right answer, but the least wrong answer.

    More on this later today.

    you're concerned as well.
    >I agree with Smiss that these exams are not supposed to

    be easy, otherwise the
    >certification doesn't mean much to anyone. Especially

    me, since I worked hard
    >to learn the material so I could present the skills I

    developed to the users on
    >my network.
    >
    >Somewhere in your job interviewing future will be a

    business owner or hiring
    >manager. Before you meet her or him, please go back and

    learn this material.
    >Knowing how to solve "failing networkconnections" (sic)

    as you so ineptly put it
    >is a likely interview question. And the satisfaction of

    your ultimate manager
    >and the users on your network will depend on your

    knowledge and how well you can
    >find solutions to their problems. They need those PC

    and Servers running--it's
    >your job and responsibility to know how to make that

    happen so they can be
    >productive at their jobs and responsibilities.
    >
    >Just because you passed 70-271, please don't be

    satisfied with your poor display
    >of knowledge. Continue to study this material before

    you begin studying 70-272.
    >There's enough overlap in the objectives of both 271 &

    272 that the review and
    >strengthening of your knowledge base will benefit you

    when you do approach 272.

    >And remember that manager and those poor users on which

    you'll be inflicting
    >yourself. If you learn the material and acquire the

    related skills, your job
    >prospects will improve. The certification is just paper

    if you don't have the
    >skills to solve problems for your company and it's users.
    >
    >Good luck with the rest of your MCDST studies.
    >*****
    >
    >"Smiss" <> wrote in

    message

    wexmary, Mar 31, 2005
  4. Xandra

    GCollier Guest

    Congrats on passing the test. I passed it last Wednesday with a 783. I am
    not sure if that is good or bad, but it doesn't matter. Why? Because if you
    are not already a tech or when you get hired on, the stuff in the book does
    not apply to the real world a lot of the time.

    I have been working in a call center environment, supporting at one time
    1000+ PCs, some at remote locations, and working in a corporate office with
    our VP's and other senior leadership for 4 years. Your certification will
    help get your foot in the door, once inside, on the job training and the
    ability to apply yourself will make you a good tech or a bad one. We have a
    guy going to DeVry, has a 4.0 and is totally clueless. You know why? He is
    new to the job, and other techs with no certifications working the job for
    years make the big bucks and get things done. Experience is more important
    than a piece of paper. The paper helps you get the job to get the experience.

    So do not let anyone discourage you because of how high or low you scored.
    Microsoft obviously believes that you know the material well enough, and your
    present or future employer will too.

    Congrats again!!!
    - Gerald

    GCollier, Apr 1, 2005
  5. Xandra

    Guest Guest

    Are you that dumb...."if the PC has that IP and nobody else
    on the network is down, then we do a cold reboot" no
    wonder why you sympathize with her....when you receive a
    APIPA address that means that you are unable to contact the
    DHCP server. Just because other users on the network don't
    have that address doesn't mean there is a problem, it does
    take time for APIPA to work it's why down to the other
    users. Remember that the default renewal is 8 day's so
    give it a day or two and the help desk will be flooded with
    calls saying that they can't access the internet or
    resource's, you need to make sure that the DHCP Server is
    running, and if it is not then you have to reboot that
    server. not the damm PC, use your brain or better yet read
    a book.

    Guest, Apr 3, 2005
  6. Xandra

    Jason Guest

    If a PC APIPA's out, you can bet my troubleshooting starts with the PC and
    then works it's way out to the network and other network devices (i.e. DHCP
    server). I would much rather reboot a single PC rather than a server
    running DHCP to try and resolve the problem that way. Additionally, I would
    not reboot the entire server, rather just stop and start the DHCP service on
    that server stack, but that goes beyond the scope of this question. If it
    resolves the problem, then there is no need to troubleshoot further. This
    is all running on the assumption that we are running dynamic IP assignment.
    What would you do if a PC that has statically assigned IP addressing APIPA's
    out? (This oughtta be good folks...)

    Jason, Apr 3, 2005
  7. Xandra

    wexmary Guest

    Jason:

    That is the way I see it. The theory of troubleshooting as
    done by techs is to go from local to network and least
    invasive to most. Before I down a server, I'd better have
    a very good reason. One PC with APIPA is not a very good
    reason.

    wexmary, Apr 3, 2005
  8. Xandra

    mswiech Guest

    well what he wrote in your question was "what is the cause of a APIPA address
    and how do you fix it" well if you are getting APIPA addresses then your
    computer is not contacting the DHCP Server, and to fix it, I would first
    check the DHCP server to see if it is still up and running, and if it isn't
    then I would do my troubleshoot from there.

    More then likley just rebooting the machine would not fix the problem, you
    know the problem is coming from the DHCP Server, to that is where you should
    check out first.

    mswiech, Apr 4, 2005
  9. Xandra

    Jason Guest

    There are differing theories on how to troubleshoot network connectivity on
    machines. Your suggestion is to work from the top down (network to object).
    The disagreement you are seeing is simply from a school that troubleshoots
    from the bottom up (from the object to the network). This second theory is
    the most predominant as it is the least invasive on the network as a whole.

    Industry standards (a.k.a. "best practices") support the latter of these two
    theories. While the "best practices" are not the only way to set up an
    organization, they do tend to reflect the opinions of the most qualified
    professionals within the industry. Just my additional two cents (at this
    point it feels more like 50 cents though!) for whatever it's worth.

    Jason, Apr 4, 2005
  10. Xandra

    bob Guest

    Make sure the network isn't set up to 169.254.x.x? If not make sure the
    PC is set up to static IP Addressing? -- Check TCP/IP Properties?

    I'm curious what the answer is...

    bob, Apr 22, 2005
  11. Xandra

    Jason Guest

    Nice try "Bob"...just a few points if I may...

    APIPA is a client-based tool that is used to generate a unique IP address
    until communication can be re-established with a DHCP server. The key
    phrase here is "client-based". Thus, if APIPA kicks in, it is because the
    PC cannot contact the server, not vice versa.. Want to verify? Check with
    IANA here...
    http://www.iana.org/

    Now, while theoretically, you could statically set up a network on the 169
    range, but that would require so much work, it's not really worth it when
    you consider that other ranges are specifically set aside for subnets
    (192.168 and 10 range are the most common ones, but 172.16 is also used
    infrequently).

    Additionally, since APIPA is enabled on clients by default, there would be a
    TON of registry editing required to set up a network with this range (for
    more details on this, see here: http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=220874

    Now, back to my original question about a statically assigned IP address
    APIPA situation. It was actually kind of a trick question, because in order
    for APIPA to kick in, you must be configured for dynamic IP assignment, not
    static. Thus, it really cannot happen. If it does happen, then yes, most
    likely someone has gone into the TCP stack and changed the feature to
    dynamically assign IP addressing.

    Jason, Apr 22, 2005
  12. Xandra

    bob Guest

    So I was right?.....

    Thanks for the extra info though. I'm goin for my MCDST and just want to
    make sure I got the gist of atleast APIPA.

    bob, Apr 26, 2005