    that?

    All the best
    Keith

    Keith, Dec 22, 2005

  2. Keith

    John O Guest

    > I took both exams today and passed with 822 in the hardware and 850 in the
    > OS. I have quite a bit of experience as a PC tech so it wasn't too
    > difficult for me, but I found some of the questions to be a bit silly,
    > having very little relevance for techs in real-world scenarios.

    We've been telling CompTIA about this for years.

    > I read Meyers' All-In-One book (5th ed) to prepare and was disappointed
    > that (1) the book contains many errors,

    What kind of errors? Typos, or big technical mistakes?

    > and (2) many of the questions in the exam are not covered in the book.

    The test is so broad today that no single book could ever cover it all.

    > I cannot understand why the book is praised so highly. Anyway, I think I
    > might try the Network+ next so (even though it's OT I'm going to ask
    > anyway) can anyone recommend a good book to prepare for that?

    The Meyers stuff is good, but <blatant commercial statement warning!> I hear
    Heathkit has a new test prep about to be released, and I know it's good too.
    </end blatant commercial statement>

    We're just finishing up the details on that test prep. It'll be just as
    good, or likely better, than the others out there.

    -John O
    heathkit.com

    John O, Dec 22, 2005

  3. Keith

    Linda Guest

    On 22/12/05, Keith wrote:

    > Hi folks
    >
    > I took both exams today and passed with 822 in the hardware and 850 in the
    > OS.

    Wow, congratulations... sounds like a good pass mark.

    > I have quite a bit of experience as a PC tech so it wasn't too
    > difficult for me, but I found some of the questions to be a bit silly,
    > having very little relevance for techs in real-world scenarios. I read
    > Meyers' All-In-One book (5th ed) to prepare and was disappointed that (1)
    > the book contains many errors, and (2) many of the questions in the exam are
    > not covered in the book.

    Oh! I'm currently studying to take my exam in early Feb and I haven't got
    that much hands-on experience (not in a full time job sense) I'm using the
    AIO book plus one night a week at college and still panicking that I'm not
    going to know enough! I bought the A+ for Dummies book but it seems very
    out of date, so I don't think I'll spend too much time on that.

    > I cannot understand why the book is praised so
    > highly. Anyway, I think I might try the Network+ next so (even though it's
    > OT I'm going to ask anyway) can anyone recommend a good book to prepare for
    > that?

    Best of luck with it, let us know how you get on.

    Linda, Dec 22, 2005
  4. Keith

    Keith Guest

    "Linda" <> wrote in message
    > On 22/12/05, Keith wrote:
    >
    >> Hi folks
    >>
    >> I took both exams today and passed with 822 in the hardware and 850 in
    >> the
    >> OS.

    > Wow, congratulations... sounds like a good pass mark.
    >
    >> I have quite a bit of experience as a PC tech so it wasn't too
    >> difficult for me, but I found some of the questions to be a bit silly,
    >> having very little relevance for techs in real-world scenarios. I read
    >> Meyers' All-In-One book (5th ed) to prepare and was disappointed that (1)
    >> the book contains many errors, and (2) many of the questions in the exam
    >> are
    >> not covered in the book.

    > Oh! I'm currently studying to take my exam in early Feb and I haven't got
    > that much hands-on experience (not in a full time job sense) I'm using the
    > AIO book plus one night a week at college and still panicking that I'm not
    > going to know enough! I bought the A+ for Dummies book but it seems very
    > out of date, so I don't think I'll spend too much time on that.
    >
    >> I cannot understand why the book is praised so
    >> highly. Anyway, I think I might try the Network+ next so (even though
    >> it's
    >> OT I'm going to ask anyway) can anyone recommend a good book to prepare
    >> for
    >> that?

    > Best of luck with it, let us know how you get on.

    Hello again.

    After reviewing my original post, I think I may have been a bit too harsh in
    my criticism of the All-In-One book. Although there are several technical
    errors in the book and the writing style is not to my liking, anyone new to
    the subject will learn a lot from the book. I read a chapter a day, then
    did revision and practice tests for four days before taking the exams. If I
    could offer just one piece of advice, it would be this: don't use the book
    as your only source of material. The tests at the end of each chapter in
    the book are OK, but some of the free tests you will find online are far
    more like the real exams. Leave plenty of time to do a lot of these, and
    look up anything you don't understand.

    All the best
    Keith

    Keith, Dec 22, 2005
  5. Keith

    John O Guest

    >The tests at the end of each chapter in the book are OK, but some of the
    >free tests you will find online are far more like the real exams. Leave
    >plenty of time to do a lot of these, and look up anything you don't
    >understand.

    That's actually a good thing. You don't want to learn the questions, you
    need to know the technologies. After all, the cert is about getting a job,
    and the job isn't test questions, it's working with the technology.

    So if your goal is to get a job, you don't want those "stolen from the exam"
    questions.

    -John O

    John O, Dec 22, 2005
  6. Keith

    Keith Guest

    "John O" <> wrote in message
    > >The tests at the end of each chapter in the book are OK, but some of the
    > >free tests you will find online are far more like the real exams. Leave
    > >plenty of time to do a lot of these, and look up anything you don't
    > >understand.

    > That's actually a good thing. You don't want to learn the questions, you
    > need to know the technologies. After all, the cert is about getting a job,
    > and the job isn't test questions, it's working with the technology.
    >
    > So if your goal is to get a job, you don't want those "stolen from the
    > exam" questions.
    >
    > -John O

    I agree that a fundamental understanding of the material is paramount, but
    whether we like it or not, these exams are to a certain extent a memory
    test. Who really needs to know whether you can connect 63 or 127 USB
    devices per port, or what device uses IRQ 0? Questions like these are
    ridiculous and should have no place in the exams.

    Regards
    Keith

    Keith, Dec 22, 2005
  7. Keith

    Wanoreck Guest

    True, I'm going to be mandated to take the exam for my job and the
    questions I've seen on practice tests online or either dated back to
    the Win 95 era, or cover very technical questions that have nothing to
    do with my day to day repair duties, as in the examples given on your
    last post. Congrats on passing and I hope to be joining you soon as an
    A+ Certified Tech.

    Jason

    Wanoreck, Dec 30, 2005
  8. Keith

    JohnCena Guest

    WOW Good marks you got. I m also planning to take exam next week. I
    using www.coreexams.com material. Material i really helpful

    JohnCena, Dec 31, 2005
  9. Keith

    JohnCena, Jan 11, 2006