Passed Today

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by JesseTX, Nov 19, 2003.

  1. JesseTX

    JesseTX Guest

    I passed both A+ tests today. I scored 900 on the Core Hardware and
    865 on the Operating Systems Technologies.

    Here is some feedback on the tests.

    Both tests were fairly easy. I feel I could have passed them with
    half the study time I put in.

    In my preparation for the tests, I did a lot of practice exams. On
    the practice exams I was scoring better on the hardware than the
    software. As you can see from my actual scores, this held true for
    the real exams also. However, while I was taking the exams the
    software exam seemed easier than the hardware exam. Not that the
    hardware exam was difficult, there were just some questions that I
    wasn't prepared for (some were probably the new 2003 objectives), and
    some were worded somewhat strangely or used a term here or there that
    I hadn't encountered before. But, again as you can see from my
    scores, I did better on the hardware than the sfotware. Go figure!

    Without revealing any specific items covered on the tests, I can say
    it appears that the tests aren't standardized between people. By that
    I mean some people have posted specifics that were covered on the test
    in this group, and I encountered almost none of those questions. So
    apparently there is a database of questions, and the computer program
    randomly selects from that pool, and it will be different for each
    individual testing.

    One of the practice exam programs I used was the one you can download
    here http://www.examdrill.com/core.html I was somewhat surprised to
    find out there were a few questions that are word for word the same on
    the real test. As if they were copied and pasted. Not going to say
    which ones, but I would advise anyone preparing for the tests to
    download that program.

    Here is a list of the other study materials I used to prepare:

    - Mike Meyers All-in-One A+ Exam Certification Guide, Fourth Edition:
    This was my main study source, and really covered 95% or better of
    what I needed to know for the tests. As a side note, the practice
    exam program that comes with this book looks nearly identicial (layout
    wise) to the real tests.

    - Total Recall Study Guides: Can't really recommend them as I found a
    lot of errors in the material. I only used the tests that came with
    this material to practice, and only bought the material because it
    came with the vouchers. But here are a few neat tips I did pick up
    from this material.

    -- Even numbered COM ports use odd numbered IRQ's and even numbered
    I/O's. Odd numbered COM ports use even numbered IRQ's and odd
    numbered I/O's. Not earth shattering news, but a way to help you
    remember this information.

    -- Laser Printing Process: California Cows Won't Dance The Fandango -
    Clean, Condition, Write, Develop, Transfer, Fuse.

    -- Order files load when booting DOS: 2, 5, 6, 7, 8 - Based on the
    number of letters in the file name IO.SYS, MSDOS.SYS, CONFIG.SYS,
    COMMAND.COM, AUTOEXEC.BAT

    -- Practice exams here
    http://www.techexams.net/coexam/start.php?exam=apluscore1 (that page
    also has links to other free practice exams I used)

    -- Practice exams here http://www.freepractice.com/Aplus/aplus.htm

    JesseTX, Nov 19, 2003

  2. JesseTX

    Drew Dawg Guest

    Congrats!
    ---------
    Drew Dawg
    A+ Certified Technician

    Drew Dawg, Nov 20, 2003

  3. JesseTX

    Paisleyskye Guest

    Congrats on the pass!
    --
    Paisleyskye
    http://www.icertify.net

    Paisleyskye, Nov 20, 2003
  4. On Wed, 19 Nov 2003 21:24:07 GMT, JesseTX <> wrote:

    >I passed both A+ tests today. I scored 900 on the Core Hardware and
    >865 on the Operating Systems Technologies.

    (SNIP!)

    >-- Laser Printing Process: California Cows Won't Dance The Fandango -
    >Clean, Condition, Write, Develop, Transfer, Fuse.

    Hah! There should have been a Spew Warning on this one! Did you make
    that up, or find it in a study resource somewhere? If that's an
    original, I heartily applaud your creativity.

    At any rate, congrats on becoming A+ Certified!

    Cheers,

    Cindy Clayton
    Total Seminars, LLC
    www.totalsem.com

    Cindy Clayton, Nov 21, 2003
  5. JesseTX

    Dan Guest

    I earned my A+ cert today. I scored 940 on the Core Hardware
    (adaptive)and
    900 on the Operating Systems Technologies (linear). I did notice on
    the OS test I got a few of the same questions 3 or 4 times.

    Thanks for all the informative posts.

    Dan, Nov 22, 2003