Passed my first Microsoft exam (70-271)

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Paul Hinski, Sep 17, 2007.

  1. Paul Hinski

    Paul Hinski Guest

    Hello all,

    I am new to the site and have a few questions. I just passed my first
    Microsoft exam, the 70-271 and I am currently studying for the 70-272 to get
    my MCDST.

    The first question I have was about the scoring. I did not pass with a high
    score 742 if I remember correctly, but I think the low score was more
    related to the fact I was just nervous having not taken a test like this in
    many years. Do I need to be concerned about the score, should I retake the
    test to get a higher score?

    Second question: I was informed that I should receive an email from
    Microsoft concerning my MCP kit and signing up for the transcripts site? I
    took the test on September, 6th and still have not received any email, any
    ideas?

    Finally, will I received a certification?

    Thanks for the help,

    Paul

    Paul Hinski, Sep 17, 2007

  2. "Paul Hinski" <> wrote in message

    > Hello all,
    >

    > I am new to the site and have a few questions. I just passed my first
    > Microsoft exam, the 70-271 and I am currently studying for the 70-272 to get
    > my MCDST.
    >

    > The first question I have was about the scoring. I did not pass with a high
    > score 742 if I remember correctly, but I think the low score was more
    > related to the fact I was just nervous having not taken a test like this in
    > many years. Do I need to be concerned about the score, should I retake the
    > test to get a higher score?
    >

    > Second question: I was informed that I should receive an email from
    > Microsoft concerning my MCP kit and signing up for the transcripts site? I
    > took the test on September, 6th and still have not received any email, any
    > ideas?
    >

    > Finally, will I received a certification?
    >

    > Thanks for the help,
    >

    > Paul

    Congrats Paul. With that said, let's move to your questions:

    Don't be concerned with your score. You should have received a printout
    of the exam objectives and how you performed on them. Concentrate on the
    areas you did poorly on to better your skills and the value of your
    certification. As for retaking the exam for a higher score, this is not
    an option. Once you pass an exam, you cannot retake it for a better
    score. The only exception to retaking an exam when passed is the new
    MCITP certifications. These certifications will retire every 3 years and
    the subsequent exam must be passed again (as it stands now).

    As for your second question, if it has been 10 days you can call the
    Microsoft Regional Center in North America and inquire about your email.
    The number is (800) 636-7544.

    --
    Michael D. Alligood,
    MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST

    Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.], Sep 17, 2007

  3. Paul Hinski

    TheITGirl Guest

    "Michael D. Alligood [CertGuard, Inc.]" <> wrote in
    message news:ub$2WgN%...
    > Congrats Paul. With that said, let's move to your questions:
    >
    > Don't be concerned with your score. You should have received a printout of
    > the exam objectives and how you performed on them. Concentrate on the
    > areas you did poorly on to better your skills and the value of your
    > certification. As for retaking the exam for a higher score, this is not an
    > option. Once you pass an exam, you cannot retake it for a better score.
    > The only exception to retaking an exam when passed is the new MCITP
    > certifications. These certifications will retire every 3 years and the
    > subsequent exam must be passed again (as it stands now).
    >
    > As for your second question, if it has been 10 days you can call the
    > Microsoft Regional Center in North America and inquire about your email.
    > The number is (800) 636-7544.
    >
    > --
    > Michael D. Alligood,
    > MCITP, MCTS, MCSA, MCDST
    > CertGuard, Inc. - http://www.certguard.com

    Congratulations on your score, Paul, and best of luck for the 272!

    As Michael says, don't get too hung up on your score - a pass is a pass
    after all!

    All the best.

    IT Girl MCDST

    TheITGirl, Sep 17, 2007
  4. Paul Hinski wrote:
    > Hello all,
    >

    > I am new to the site and have a few questions. I just passed my first
    > Microsoft exam, the 70-271 and I am currently studying for the 70-272 to get
    > my MCDST.
    >

    > The first question I have was about the scoring. I did not pass with a high
    > score 742 if I remember correctly, but I think the low score was more
    > related to the fact I was just nervous having not taken a test like this in
    > many years. Do I need to be concerned about the score, should I retake the
    > test to get a higher score?
    >

    > Second question: I was informed that I should receive an email from
    > Microsoft concerning my MCP kit and signing up for the transcripts site? I
    > took the test on September, 6th and still have not received any email, any
    > ideas?
    >

    > Finally, will I received a certification?
    >

    > Thanks for the help,
    >

    > Paul

    Congrats!

    Don't get hung up on scoring. There are some certification exams out
    there that only reveal your score if you fail, and a passing score only
    gets you a "Good job, you passed" email.

    MG

    Mostly Gizzards, Sep 17, 2007
  5. Paul Hinski

    Paul Hinski Guest

    Wow, that was easy. Thanks Michael I called the number you gave me and about
    5 minutes later I had everything I need to get logged on and the MCP kit
    mailed to me.

    As far as the scoring I have read many forms, a few suggested the score was
    important and one even started that they retook the test. That is where all
    my confusion comes from. I actually happened upon this site by accident. Who
    what have thought to simply look at Microsoft site, Duh! Anyhow, thanks
    again and it looks like I have found a place where I can get the correct
    answers to my questions.

    Paul

    Paul Hinski, Sep 17, 2007
  6. Paul Hinski

    Carlos Guest

    Hi Paul,

    Congrats on the pass!
    I am actually studying for 70-271 - what did you use to study?
    There are sooo many books and while I want to pass the test - the most
    important thing for me is to get all information down that will be required
    on a day to day basis. That being said I wanted to see which approach you
    felt was best - anyone else can feel free to add thier input.

    Carlos, Oct 29, 2007