Passed my final A+ exam today, w00t!

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Brian Chapman, Nov 13, 2003.

  1. Hey guys!

    Just wanted to say that I passed my last A+ exam today! =8D I took the
    first (hardware) test just last Saturday. I only wish I would have
    done this sooner. The job I have right now isn't anywhere close to IT.
    I hope that I can get a decent job soon doing what I know and like. I
    guess the job market is really in the slumps right now. I sure hope
    this A+ cert on my resume will get someone at least to call me.

    Since I like to read what other people did to prepare, here's what I
    used. I bought the ExamCram2 A+ book for $30 at a local B&N. I liked
    it because I already knew most of this stuff through previous
    hands-on, self-taught experience. There was no way I was going to make
    it through one of those thick huge A+ books. This book ran me through
    the stuff I needed to know pretty quickly. I just wish the author
    didn't have to try and be a comedian about everything. Honestly, I'm
    under the gun cramming for something important and he's busy making
    jokes! Anyway, I only studied for about a week or so before the first
    test. I might have gotten better scores had I studied longer, but
    passing is passing. ;-)

    I also used an older copy of the Transcender A+ exam software that I
    got a hold of. I don't know how much it normally costs as to say
    whether or not it's worth the brand new retail price, but it
    definitely gets you acquainted with how the real exam software is
    going to work so that you're better mentally prepared. I highly
    suggest using the Grade Now button on each question so that you can
    know the right answer as it's fresh in your head, rather than going
    back when you're all done and trying to remember why you chose what
    you did. It will also explain why the answer is right and why the
    others are wrong. Good stuff.

    So next up on my list is going to be the Network+ and the Linux+
    exams. Mostly, I want the Linux cert just because I'm a Linux fan. But
    I want the networking one mainly for two reasons. One, I think it will
    help me all the more, as it's another nice thing to have on the
    resume, and two, because together with the A+ it will satisfy the
    elective requirement on the Microsoft MCSA certification (leaving only
    three tests left to take). So suffice to say, I'm thinking about the
    MCSA too. I can't afford to go all the way to the MSCE right now, but
    the MCSA stuff will count towards an MSCE anyway, so it's all good.
    I'm also considering the Security+, which will also count on the MSCE
    (unfortunately the A/Net+ won't however). I like this idea of
    'chaining' certifications. It makes me feel like I'm spending money
    more efficiently.

    And just for fun, here are my scores (not that it really matters):
    220-231 2001 Linear Core Hardware (900 max 467 needed) I got an 832.
    220-232 2001 Linear OS Technologies (900 max 469 needed) I got a 768.

    BTW, I got my vouchers from GetCertified4Less.com and did all my
    registering through the VUE (www.vue.com) website. All I did was have
    to show up! =)

    Take care everyone and good luck!
    - Brian

    Brian Chapman, Nov 13, 2003

  2. Brian Chapman

    BK Guest

    Congratulations!

    BK, Nov 13, 2003

  3. Brian Chapman

    JesseTX Guest

    On 12 Nov 2003 22:16:22 -0800, (Brian Chapman)
    wrote:

    > I sure hope
    >this A+ cert on my resume will get someone at least to call me.

    Congrats on passing A+, and good luck on finding a job. Maybe it's
    just the location I am in (San Antonio), but simply having the A+ cert
    on your resume doesn't cause the phone calls to start coming in.

    I have been unemployed since Feb of this year. My background is as an
    electronics tech. I also have a few years experience in PC
    maintenance, setup and network infrastructure installation. I really
    need to get a job before the unemployment runs out :) Anyway, I am
    scheduled to take my A+ tests tomorrow, and feel very confident I will
    pass them both. That being the case, I changed my resume as soon as I
    had scheduled the tests (last month some time) to indicate I had my A+
    certification. I figured if anyone called with a job opportunity and
    asked about the A+ certification I would explain that I embellished
    the truth a little on the resume, but have paid for the certification
    tests, and have them scheduled (I could even show them documentation
    to prove it if they wanted). They could either say we don't want to
    talk to you because you lied on your resume, or accept my explanation.
    But anyway, it doesn't matter as having that on my resume has made no
    difference whatsoever. I have yet to receive any calls. I have even
    applied for a couple of PC maintenance jobs since then, and have
    gotten zero response. It's not an issue now since I will have passed
    my tests tomorrow, and having it on my resume will then be 100%
    correct.

    Anyway, maybe things will be different in the area of the country
    where you live, but here it doesn't seem to make a difference having
    it on your resume even for someone like me who also has hands-on
    experience.

    JesseTX, Nov 13, 2003
  4. Brian Chapman

    Jinkies Guest

    In article <>,
    says...
    > They could either say we don't want to
    >talk to you because you lied on your resume, or accept my explanation.
    >But anyway, it doesn't matter as having that on my resume has made no
    >difference whatsoever. I have yet to receive any calls. I have even
    >applied for a couple of PC maintenance jobs since then, and have
    >gotten zero response. It's not an issue now since I will have passed
    >my tests tomorrow, and having it on my resume will then be 100%
    >correct.

    Gee d'ya think maybe they checked with CompTIA first and determined you're a
    liar then decided they didnt want to call a liar for an interview ???

    Jinkies, Nov 13, 2003
  5. Brian Chapman

    JesseTX Guest

    On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 19:49:14 GMT, (Jinkies) wrote:

    >Gee d'ya think maybe they checked with CompTIA first and determined you're a
    >liar then decided they didnt want to call a liar for an interview ???

    Highly unlikely. First off, I don't know that there is an avenue to
    perform such a check. Second, even if there were such an avenue
    available, this is something that an employer would do after they have
    interviewed some people to narrow down the list of candidates. I say
    this from experience, as in my last job one of my duties was
    interviewing and hiring people. There is no way that I would have
    time, nor would it be cost effective, to do any kind of background
    investigation for every person who submits a resume that in response
    to an advertised opening. For a well advertised, highly sought after
    job, you can expect to receive about 100 resumes. Many of those you
    can eliminate quickly as the people don't even come close to
    qualifying for the position. But still, you will have a *lot* of
    potential candidates left.

    The next step is typically to have people come in for an interview,
    and fill out a job application. You will weed out several during the
    interview for one reason or another, and their resume and job
    application will go in the trash can. If you are going to do any kind
    of research or investigation on people, it will be done now that you
    have narrowed down the field of candidates. When they fill out the
    job application, you have them provide you with references
    (professional or personal) who you will now call to ask about your
    candidate. You would also call their former employers at this point.
    If CompTIA even offers a service where they will verify a members
    certification, this is when you would contact them to verify this.
    More than likely what you would ask the person to do, if they are one
    of the few candidates who remain after the interview process, is
    provide you a copy of thier certificate. That's much more efficient
    than trying to get the information from CompTIA. At this point you
    have already interviewed the person, and have a good idea whether they
    are qualified to do the job or not anyway, and the certificate isn't
    as important.

    In my current situation as a job hunter, it would have never gotten
    that far anyway. If I had gotten an interview, I would have explained
    my situation to the interviewer at that point. Since I will be
    certified tomorrow, it's a mute point now.

    JesseTX, Nov 13, 2003
  6. Brian Chapman

    eogun Guest

    Congratulations and Goodluck to you!

    eogun, Nov 14, 2003
  7. Brian Chapman

    Coolmint Guest

    Are the exams still adaptive?

    Coolmint, Nov 14, 2003
  8. Nope

    The Pugmaster, Nov 14, 2003
  9. Brian Chapman

    John Guest

    well, my friend lied on his resume, he had his a+ and mcse, but no
    experience, he said he had 2 years exp, got rejected 8 tiems, but the
    ninth, jackpot, making 2800 a month after taxes now, canadian

    John, Nov 14, 2003
  10. Brian Chapman

    Paisleyskye Guest

    Congrats on the pass!