Passed MCDST 03/04/2007

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Shohoku79, Mar 6, 2007.

  1. Shohoku79

    Shohoku79 Guest

    Having seen so many comments here about the sweats and tears he/she has gone
    through (or are currently going through) to get certified, or seeing those
    that are just getting into the certification process, and seeing so many
    others willing to share their thoughts and information about it was truly
    amazing.

    Having been a benefactor for all of these type of comments, whether it is
    questions or advice has prompted me to share some of the things I went
    through to eventually pass the exams.

    Having only A+ under my belt, I work at my current job as IT support for an
    office the size of 40 or so. The support job description ranges anything from
    users not being able to find the Start button to trying to set permissions
    and policies on the server. I felt something was missing after working for
    about a year doing this. Even though A+ is a industry-wide certification,
    many of those outside of the IT business probably has not heard of it (my
    boss included), but everyone has heard of Microsoft, even those outside of
    the IT business, simply because the majority of them do use the products. So
    after reading up about the certification, I felt that what I do seem to
    reflect what was being described in the MCDST, so I looked into it. That was
    about a year ago.

    After reading some earlier posts here about what they thought about certain
    online training courses that offer no explanation to sample questions/answers
    I said uh oh to myself. I will admit that I did sign up for an online
    training program, it did gave me enough knowledge to through A+ back then, so
    gave them another try. Turns out that the E-Books they offer seem to contain
    only outlines, so I called them up about this, and in the mail a couple of
    days later, the MCDST Self-Paced Learning Training Kit for 270-271 and
    270-272 published by Microsoft. So I thought, great, whose books would be
    better to read than the company giving the exams? I planned on reading the
    book however much time I get from off times I get at work while also studying
    the online training course that contain training videos and practice
    questions.

    Having gone through each book once, finished the training videos and worked
    with the practice test banks there had me thinking a couple of months ago
    that I might be ready to tackle the beast. I scheduled both the tests about a
    couple of weeks ago, I felt I would do some more research about the actual
    test experience (including this newsgroup), and I was glad that I did. It
    really made me re-think about the true value of that online course. I then
    used the MeasureUp Practice exams that came with the books, the results were
    brutal, and severly told me that I was NOT ready. My last moments prior to
    test day was trying to do the practice tests and look at the explanations
    there.

    Eventually the day came and all I was extremely nervous about the fact that
    I did schedule for not one but two exams on the same day back to back.
    Eventually I did remember someone here saying that one shouldn't be afraid to
    fail and treat every failure as a learning experience. The result for the 271
    came back and I scored a 766 (I was really surprised at the score). Then came
    the 272. To me I thought I had more uncertainties with this one (I find
    myself second-guessing myself more on this test), but I scored a 890 on this
    one. The feeling was both incredible but relaxed (can't be too loud and
    excited while others are still taking their tests there). Even right now as I
    am writing the thought that I had actually passed the exams felt unreal.

    Some "tips" if you will.
    1. "Do" schedule the exams - Whether you decide to take both of the tests on
    the same day or schedule them for different days, do make the appointment to
    take the test a certain day. Though my experience may not have been overly
    satisfying with that online course I signed up, one of the things stuck in my
    mind in what the instructor there said, and that is to actually schedule the
    test. To procrastinate is to be human, if we don't schedule an actual day,
    giving us a dead line, a sense of urgency, we probably won't ever go take the
    test. So I thought that tip was very motivational.

    2. Practice by Doing - Yes, you hear that a lot. But this is actually quite
    important. As I think back at my current work place, I was fortunate enough
    that the network in my office is actually set up as a Active Directory
    running Windows 2003 Server. Had I not had the chance to work with some user
    permissions, and group policies, I'd probably only have knowledge working
    with Workgroups in smaller networks. I'd probably not know the answer to a
    majority of the questions asked in the 271. So I can't stress the importance
    of hands on experience enough.

    3. Always better to over-prepare than under-prepare - Though my experience
    with the online training course was not overall satisfactory, one good thing
    that came out of it was that phone call I made to get them to send me the
    MCDST books. What was most valuable was probably the MeasureUp practice tests
    in there. Reading the book alone can only get you so far, the practice tests
    there throws at you questions and question types that try to really drill
    home the concepts. The fact that it offered question formats other than the
    traditional Multiple Choice gave me initial shell shock as those Hot
    Spot/Drag & Drop ones were really killing me! But having done those better
    prepped me for the actual thing.

    4. Night before the test? Get a good rest - Sounds like something your
    mother will tell you. But it really helps with the concentration during the
    test. Trying to pull an all-nighter is something that we may have all
    experienced before, when most of us were students (we all know how that
    feels) and if you work that makes that even more difficult. I personally like
    to schedule the tests for the weekend, preferably Sunday. Friday is when we
    are all tired from the week's work. Saturday is a day where you could relax
    and study a bit and then take the test the next day.

    5. Expect and handle anxiety before the exam - As you get closer to the exam
    day and time, you will get more anxious about the test. Before I made the
    trip to the testing center, I thought I'd bring my laptop to study some more
    before and in between exams. But when I got there, all those thoughts went
    out the window. Partly was because the lockers at the testing center were not
    big enough to put my laptop in, but my mind was telling me that if I try to
    study on the spot, I would just mess my concentration up. But that's just me.
    After taking the 271, I just took a quick restroom break and immediately went
    to take the 272.

    Well, I probably said more than what I intended and didn't say enough of
    what I should have but I thought I would share my experience in this matter
    and hopefully provide some ideas for those that are intended to take
    certification exams.

    Best regards,

    Steven Liu (shohoku79)

    Shohoku79, Mar 6, 2007

  2. Could not have said it better myself... Wait I think I did say that! :)
    Good Job!

    --
    Michael D. Alligood
    MCSA, MCDST, MCP, A+,