Passed Core Hardware Exam

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by John, Jul 21, 2003.

  1. John

    John Guest

    I've just passed the Core Hardware exam with a score of 962. I'm
    writing the OS exam this coming weekend, so I'll be cramming a litle
    longer. My career is mostly in programming; it's been about 7 years
    since I did any tech work professionally, so I was a bit rusty. A lot
    of new technologies have evolved, so I bought Mike Meyers' Passport A+
    Certificaion and read the whole book. I read quite a bit of Exam Cram
    A+, as well, but I had difficulty with it due to an overabundance of
    information in certain areas and a few minor technical differences I
    had with the text.

    A few questions that gave me problems were related to docking stations
    (I don't recall seeing anything about them in either text) and some
    stuff about testing serial ports with loopbacks. I have looked for an
    explanation of serial port loopbacks but was unable to find anything
    (not that I looked real hard).

    On the docking station, it had something about whether they are
    proprietary to a manufacturer and if they are specific to a particular
    laptop. If I had to re-take the test I would focus on laptops more as
    I have not had much exposure to them.

    The worst question on the test was asking me to point out the PS/2
    connecter on a fuzzy, top-down view of a system board.

    I took the exam for my own benefit and to expand my skillset within
    the small software development company I work for.

    HTH,

    Ben

    John, Jul 21, 2003

  2. John

    Nick Guest

    The Exam Cram books are kind of bad that way. I don't
    think that they are a bad source, as they do touch on
    some things that the other books do not, but one should
    definitely not use them alone.

    Docking stations are proprietary and usually specific
    to a particular model or family of models.
    --

    Nick
    A+, Network+, MCP

    Nick, Jul 21, 2003

  3. "Hydroman" <> wrote in news:L-KcnZ97GJvlM4GiU-
    :

    > www.freecomptia.com

    Thanks for the link.

    -=MoJo=Master=-, Jul 22, 2003
  4. John

    John Guest

    "Hydroman" <> wrote:

    > Congrats on passing the core exam!

    Thanks!

    > I found that the software exam was much easier than hardware.

    I expect that will be the case for me, too, since software
    has been my area of concentration for many years now. I mastered
    DOS back in '91 and have worked with all PC-based versions of
    Windows up to XP, so I have a pretty solid background. The
    things that worry me most are the things I've not used in a long
    time and forgotten and the fact that you can usually perform the
    same task 50 different ways in software. Thanks for the link--
    I'll give it a look!

    Ben
    "Almost A+", NTCP

    John, Jul 23, 2003
  5. John

    John Guest

    One thing I wanted to mention about the A+ exam:

    I know there are those that think the exam is a waste of time or that
    the questions are often not applicable to the field. Looking back on
    the whole thing I have realized that we do come away from the exam
    with a much better understanding of the machines and software than we
    may have previously had. I had to study my butt off for this test and
    spent a lot of time thinking about these subjects much more than I
    ever had before. Even with over a decade of experience in the field I
    was able to learn some things I never knew before and some things that
    I just didn't know as well as I should have. Admittedly there are
    some inane things on the test, but there's a ton of good things on it
    too.

    So I hope that if anyone has any doubts as to the value of the
    certification that they will bear in mind that the act of passing test
    is not the real goal-- the act of learning and being able to convey
    that learning is the goal.

    Ben

    John, Jul 24, 2003
  6. John

    John Guest

    Just passed the OS Technologies exam with an 848, so I'm A+ certified now!

    Ben

    John, Jul 26, 2003
  7. John

    John Guest

    "Mike Smith" <> wrote...
    > Congratulations! I hope I do as well as you.

    Why, thanks! I hope you do too! No matter what your score it will
    probably be a big relief just getting it over with. I know it was for
    me.

    Good luck,

    Ben

    John, Jul 28, 2003