Passed,,, barely!

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by dreamer, Feb 9, 2004.

  1. dreamer

    dreamer Guest

    Well I took both exams at the same time today,,, core exam seemed
    fairly straight forward, I got a 601 on it not great but I passed, I
    had no diagrams on it at all, very few IRQ or DMA questions, mostly
    new tech and networks,one cpu question, several SCSI.

    Now the OS was a lot tougher for me, I have never even seen windows NT
    or XP and it showed as I only scored a 558 on it and I'm a little
    embarrassed about the score.. Many many questions on XP and
    NT,,upgrading, requirements, utilities, of course maybe they just
    stood out to me because I wasn't as familiar with those OS's.

    All this said though I must give a thank to the Mike Meyers All in One
    5th edition. That is the only study material I used, of course I've
    been working with computers since the mid to late 80's, but I found
    his book written well and pretty much contained everything that I
    remember being on the test, my poor scores were a reflection on me not
    quite having that young sharp memory that I used to have.

    Dreamin Man

    dreamer, Feb 9, 2004

  2. I took the OS on Friday and also passed barely! My excuse is that I'd
    planned 5 days of study, and due to an extremely busy week only managed 2
    days. I found much the same as you - much XP when I was expecting W2K. Also,
    quite a bit of networking stuff, I seemed to have 3 almost identical
    questions on DNS.

    The excellent Mike Meyers 5th edition was my main source too, though I also
    looked at techexams.net, and of course the mighty google. The book covered
    everything on the hardware side, but missed a couple of things on the OS
    side, like hosts & lmhosts for example (I looked in the book after, although
    I might have missed it, I haven't read it all). Mike also says you won't get
    asked about subnetting - I did - but only basic stuff. (which IS in his
    book). I had planned on selling the book to help pay for the next one, but I
    think It's worth keeping. Mike's anecdotal style makes easy reading, and his
    explanations of historical stuff should be essential reading for younger
    techs who have only got into this in the last few years.

    Anyway, what next? Network+ or 70-270 - I can't decide!

    Good luck, everyone!

    JM
    --
    JonathanMiles at uk2 dot net

    <dreamer> wrote in message
    > Well I took both exams at the same time today,,, core exam seemed
    > fairly straight forward, I got a 601 on it not great but I passed, I
    > had no diagrams on it at all, very few IRQ or DMA questions, mostly
    > new tech and networks,one cpu question, several SCSI.
    >
    > Now the OS was a lot tougher for me, I have never even seen windows NT
    > or XP and it showed as I only scored a 558 on it and I'm a little
    > embarrassed about the score.. Many many questions on XP and
    > NT,,upgrading, requirements, utilities, of course maybe they just
    > stood out to me because I wasn't as familiar with those OS's.
    >
    > All this said though I must give a thank to the Mike Meyers All in One
    > 5th edition. That is the only study material I used, of course I've
    > been working with computers since the mid to late 80's, but I found
    > his book written well and pretty much contained everything that I
    > remember being on the test, my poor scores were a reflection on me not
    > quite having that young sharp memory that I used to have.
    >
    > Dreamin Man

    ---

    Jonathan Miles, Feb 10, 2004

  3. Congratulations on getting A+ certified, DM! Are you on to Net+ now or
    taking a breather from studying?

    Cheers,

    Scott

    Scott Jernigan, Feb 10, 2004
  4. dreamer

    dreamer Guest

    Thanks for the congrats, I'm on to Network + next and after that I
    have no idea how the progression is and where I should go next. I
    actually enjoy the learning process, always wished I could have gone
    to college but those years are long gone, but this self study is
    better than nothing and I love it.

    Dreamin Man

    dreamer, Feb 10, 2004