Passed A+ Core Exam Today

Discussion in 'A+ Certification' started by Carrito, Feb 23, 2004.

  1. Carrito

    Carrito Guest

    Well I passed my first ever cert test today and came away with some
    insights and some amazement. First of all I cannot believe that I
    studied all the CPU stuff and specs on cache sizes, especially for the
    newer processors. That's about all I can say on that. One thing that
    got me though was that about half of the test was really not that bad.
    But some of the questions the wording was either terrible or the
    answers were so close or could have been more than one that it was
    confusing or in the least vague. I think that if I had went back and
    read back over my book one more time I would have done a little bit
    better. I scored a 590 which I was dissapointed at but at least I
    passed I guess. Now I need to study for the OS part which from what I
    have read on here seems to be harder. Hopefully I will study more of
    the stuff that will actually be on the exam than stuff not on it.

    Does anyone have some advice on good areas to really know related to
    the OS part of the test? I am only running Windows 2000 Pro on this
    computer and haven't used XP but a few times, and haven't used 98 or
    95 in years. Will this be a problem?

    Thanks for listening and the advice....

    Does anyone know when you actually pass the tests and then get the
    card or whatever in the mail, does it list your scores on it or what?
    I mean what is actually on the cert card that you get in the mail?
    Carrito, Feb 23, 2004

  2. My advice is to take several practice tests and simply study hard in the
    areas
    which you don't do as well on. most books contain a CD with some practice
    tests
    on them and I'm sure there are web sites available that do the same.

    I'm in your exact position and I took my first practice test yesterday after
    finishing only 2 of the nine chapters that I intend to read. I only got 45%
    of
    the answers correct but I figure that's OK since I've only read 20% of the
    material so far. I found that I knew a good deal about general OS
    fundamentals
    (particularly from my experience with DOS over the years) but that I really
    lacked specific knowledge of many Windows files, commands and options.
    There was a particularly good amount of test questions related to installing
    and upgrading the various versions of Windows - what commands and what
    media was needed to do the job in each. The questions covered Windows 95,
    98, Me, 2000, XP, and to a much lesser extent NT 4.

    Since many of the questions won't be as obvious as with hardware I
    suppose it will be somewhat harder than the core test but with sufficient
    study we should both do well. I figure it will take me about four weeks to
    have it all down. I personally like to cap my studying off with the Exam
    Cram series for about three or four days to quickly reinforce things I'm
    unsure of and to test myself.

    --
    David Bland

    David BlandIII, Feb 23, 2004

  3. Carrito

    Carrito Guest

    "David BlandIII" <> wrote in message news:<_9t_b.501$>...
    > My advice is to take several practice tests and simply study hard in the
    > areas
    > which you don't do as well on. most books contain a CD with some practice
    > tests
    > on them and I'm sure there are web sites available that do the same.
    >
    > I'm in your exact position and I took my first practice test yesterday after
    > finishing only 2 of the nine chapters that I intend to read. I only got 45%
    > of
    > the answers correct but I figure that's OK since I've only read 20% of the
    > material so far. I found that I knew a good deal about general OS
    > fundamentals
    > (particularly from my experience with DOS over the years) but that I really
    > lacked specific knowledge of many Windows files, commands and options.
    > There was a particularly good amount of test questions related to installing
    > and upgrading the various versions of Windows - what commands and what
    > media was needed to do the job in each. The questions covered Windows 95,
    > 98, Me, 2000, XP, and to a much lesser extent NT 4.
    >
    > Since many of the questions won't be as obvious as with hardware I
    > suppose it will be somewhat harder than the core test but with sufficient
    > study we should both do well. I figure it will take me about four weeks to
    > have it all down. I personally like to cap my studying off with the Exam
    > Cram series for about three or four days to quickly reinforce things I'm
    > unsure of and to test myself.
    >
    > --
    > David Bland

    I wish you luck. I was using exam essentials 6.0 and the cram master
    software and did it until I was scoring 98% on both software programs
    for the core and also having read the core section of the book I had
    bought. I guess this is why I was kinda dissapointed at my score. I
    read here from others about how the questions were sometimes vague and
    grammatically incorrect. Well yeah it's true. I still havent figured
    out which of the four printers they gave me as an example would not do
    color printing. LOL I got home and that was the first thing I looked
    up. Come to find out they all print color printing, so Im kinda like
    at a loss as to what the correct answer was. I just hope the OS test
    is both less wordy and less vague. But in the end, even after using
    both exam software packages and reading those chapters once, there
    were still several questions that I really could not remember anything
    about. Not reading them in the book, or even using the software. So
    who knows.

    Carito
    Carrito, Feb 24, 2004